Is the corner-cutting this time around too much for you?

Matías, have we sinned?

• Total voters

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The price isn't really that good for what you get. It's the most expensive 32GB max phone out. And that amount of max storage kinda makes it a bad buy, imo. Love the 6P on paper, but it is the biggest phone there is other than the Nexus 6, so they didn't listen to anyone who said the Nexus 6 was too big.

Someone forgot about the iPhone...

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Someone forgot about the iPhone...
This kinda does seem like an iPhone for Google fanboys, though. Give 'em less, because it's the software you want, and we will buy it because we're Nexus fanboys. Don't even give it a competitive price, because we'll buy it. A 64gb version and I'd buy this easy. But 32 max? And no iPhone model has a 32gb max version; they all go higher.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This kinda does seem like an iPhone for Google fanboys, though. Give 'em less, because it's the software you want, and we will buy it because we're Nexus fanboys. Don't even give it a competitive price, because we'll buy it. A 64gb version and I'd buy this easy. But 32 max? And no iPhone model has a 32gb max version; they all go higher.

I don't think Google could ever do a competitive price with a big marketing push. If I was a partner, I'd be upset.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm OK with the corner cutting! Building a mid-tier phone is tough. Cut the specs too much and lose features customers really want . . . price it too high and customers will opt for a different product (with a better value proposition). I would say the debate on the specs vs price will always be there, and it's a good discussion to have.

I like the Nexus 5X over the 6P. The equivalent storage tier for the 6P is only $70 more . . . but if I bought a 6P I wouldn't buy the 32GB model. I'd be going for the 64GB which is $120 more.

I think the Nexus devices are a win-win proposition. I'm all in favor of buying unlocked phones direct which can be used on any carrier. The more the market uncouples phones from carriers the better off consumers will be. And I did order the 5X 32GB model. I don't expect it to be great . . . just good enough . . .

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Well I am sure they could have done 3gb of ram. The Nextbit Robin only comes in 32gb variant and cost $350(299 for early backers), pretty much spec for spec matches the 5X(including battery size), except it comes with 3gb of ram, and GG4(on 5.2in 1080p display). On the flip size the camera sensor is a 1/3"(not sure which one it uses), which is a good bit smaller than the 1/2.3" sensor of the 5x. I'd personally rather have the better sensor as the G2, I have also has a 1/3" sensor and I find it to be to be acceptable, but nothing to write home about.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Updated OP] Is the corner-cutting this time around too much for you?

Google can't win. Everyone moaned about the camera in the Nexus 4 and 5 (rightfully so). But now that Google has fixed that by loading in an expensive high tech sensor everyone's criticising the prioritisation of the camera over other features.

I don't think the 5X is perfect at that price point by any means though. It should have had stereo front facing speakers, 32GB base storage option and smaller bezels, I believe.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

The 5X is competitive for its class. The only OEMs that undercut it are the Chinese OEMs that undercut everyone else. 1080p, Snapdragon 808, 2 GB RAM - these are all mid-range features, and the 5X comes at a mid-range price, rightfully so.

If you want a top-tier flagship, then expect to pay a top-tier price. If the 5X had the same hardware as the 6P, costed the same, but still had a 5.2 inch screen... I'm curious, would people be happy or would they STILL complain that the 5X is a disappointment? (They'd probably moan about how it's overpriced now.)

WinstonSmith#AC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

The 5X is competitive for its class. The only OEMs that undercut it are the Chinese OEMs that undercut everyone else. 1080p, Snapdragon 808, 2 GB RAM - these are all mid-range features, and the 5X comes at a mid-range price, rightfully so.

If you want a top-tier flagship, then expect to pay a top-tier price. If the 5X had the same hardware as the 6P, costed the same, but still had a 5.2 inch screen... I'm curious, would people be happy or would they STILL complain that the 5X is a disappointment? (They'd probably moan about how it's overpriced now.)

If the 6P came in the 5X form factor, I'd be all over it. I don't care about the aluminum, I'd be fine with plastic like on the 5X, but with the increased processor and the BEST possible Nexus camera, I'd be all over it.

5.5 for a phone is as large as I think I can handle on a day to day basis.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

If fanboy means you get the cleanest Android experience plus 1st in line for all updates, not to mention one of the best cameras to be had, I will gladly call myself a fanboy, and it's not because of blind loyalty.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
If fanboy means you get the cleanest Android experience plus 1st in line for all updates, not to mention one of the best cameras to be had, I will gladly call myself a fanboy, and it's not because of blind loyalty.

Agree!

I'm an Apple and Google fanboy and proud of it :D

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Aside from the Sony Z5 Compact, I don't think there are any other choice out there, unless you really want to use a Samsung. High-end phones below 5.5" are a dying breed.

Well I'm considering a few options:
  • try the 5X in person (will be difficult as it's not available in any showrooms)
  • keep my LG G2 (need to repair the screen)
  • Sony Xperia Z5 (smaller than 5X with same display size, has FM Radio, larger battery, great camera, stereo speakers, but expensive and taller than I would like)
  • LG G3 (cheap now, good camera, FM Radio, IR Blaster, large battery, but large phone although one of the smallest 5.5" devices out there, and silly 2K display that seems to kill battery life and causes lag)

hmmm.... hard to know without trying them. LG G2 dimensions were perfect for me. One-handed, my thumb can just reach the bottom and top of the display without shifting the phone. That's why I don't like phones with larger bezels.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

If you want a top-tier flagship, then expect to pay a top-tier price. If the 5X had the same hardware as the 6P, costed the same, but stiI'm curious, would people be happy or would they STILL complain that the 5X is a disappointment? (They'd probably moan about how it's overpriced now.)

is that even a question? lol ... the Nexus 4 attracted a group of buyers that expect all the bells and whistles, only they don't want to pay for them. take everything from the 6p and put it in the 5x, add OIS and wireless charging, charge accordingly and guaranteed people would complain about the 810 and price!

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm considering a few options:
  • try the 5X in person (will be difficult as it's not available in any showrooms)
  • keep my LG G2 (need to repair the screen)
  • Sony Xperia Z5 (smaller than 5X with same display size, has FM Radio, larger battery, great camera, stereo speakers, but expensive and taller than I would like)
  • LG G3 (cheap now, good camera, FM Radio, IR Blaster, large battery, but large phone although one of the smallest 5.5" devices out there, and silly 2K display that seems to kill battery life and causes lag)

hmmm.... hard to know without trying them. LG G2 dimensions were perfect for me. One-handed, my thumb can just reach the bottom and top of the display without shifting the phone. That's why I don't like phones with larger bezels.
I was playing with the G4 in the store and it felt pretty good in the hand although it isn't a one handed phone. The 808 processor made the phone lag free even with LG UI, which is also pretty customizable. I was close to ordering the LG G4, already ordered all it's accessories, but there are some discussion with retailer level recall in it's forum section and I didn't want to wait much longer. Saw a mint G3 for sale for $200 on Swappa so I jumped on it. Normally I would not do this for a one year old phone with non-removable battery.

One thing I was concerned about was the over sharpening of the display, it seems to be at kernel level and custom kernel can fix it. Another thing was overheating, which from past experience, those warning messages doesn't come up with Cyanogen rooms which I'm intended to run.

I think I'll just save the extra accessories for when I finally decided to order the G4 one day.

Sent from LG G Pad 8.3

Last edited:

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I was playing with the G4 in the store and it felt pretty good in the hand although it isn't a one handed phone. The 808 processor made the phone lag free even with LG UI, which is also pretty customizable. I was close to ordering the LG G4, already ordered all it's accessories, but there are some discussion with retailer level recall in it's forum section and I didn't want to wait much longer. Saw a mint G3 for sale for $200 on Swappa so I jumped on it. Normally I would not do this for a one year old phone with non-removable battery.

One thing I was concerned about was the over sharpening of the display, it seems to be at kernel level and custom kernel can fix it. Another thing was overheating, which from past experience, those warning messages doesn't come up with Cyanogen rooms which I'm intended to run.

I think I'll just save the extra accessories for when I finally decided to order the G4 one day.

Sent from LG G Pad 8.3

Oh, so you have a G3 now or yet to arrive? If you have it, how are you finding the battery life? That's my main concern from reading various forums and reviews. Apparently the 2K display on it isn't quite as efficient as the G4 or maybe the SD801 struggles to power it compared to the SD808.

Sorry to hijack the thread and discuss this here but I was interested in the 5X and LG are responsible for both. :p

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh, so you have a G3 now or yet to arrive? If you have it, how are you finding the battery life? That's my main concern from reading various forums and reviews. Apparently the 2K display on it isn't quite as efficient as the G4 or maybe the SD801 struggles to power it compared to the SD808.

Sorry to hijack the thread and discuss this here but I was interested in the 5X and LG are responsible for both.
I'll let you know, however I'm better at retaining battery life than most people so it might not be helpful, I disable things like Google app because I don't need Google to know everything about my life. I also had the OnePlus with 801 chip, and I think it's still a very fast CPU, you can get about 6hrs screen on time with the 3100mAh battery albeit on a 1080p screen. But it was a phone with lots of little issues and the camera was useless because it lacked a proprietary Oppo camera driver (only available in ColorOS) that causes auto continuous focus for video recording to not work correctly, apparently this affect the OnePlus Two as well, I'm not sure how they're able to sell phones with such egregious flaws.

I've played with the G3 as well, I think as long as disable all the junk apps and run a clean launcher it will be very adequate, definitely an upgrade from the G2. The G4 software is a bit more refined, but assuming if both devices get as Android 6 update it's not a big deal, but I don't intend to run stock on it.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Actually it's just as easy in a car as it is near a normal charging port. Sorry, just not seeing how wireless charging can be a deal breaker for anyone unless you're looking for a reason and nitpicking to the highest extent. I have a 40 minute commute each way and I can easily plug in my phone if need be and at my desk, I have a USB cable plugged into my PC that sits above my head. Both of which are really easy to use. Sorry, man.

I use my phone as my bed side clock and alarm. I use a Forrader Qi charger that stands the phone almost upright. Hard to do with a charging cord at the bottom. Plus it's one less lose cord to fall behind furniture.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone as my bed side clock and alarm. I use a Forrader Qi charger that stands the phone almost upright. Hard to do with a charging cord at the bottom. Plus it's one less lose cord to fall behind furniture.

They make tons of wired docks that would do this. I have an Everdock.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards