Is there something I am doing wrong?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a Sprint GS3 so that I could try the network. I am currently with VZ and am looking to save some money by switching. I am not in a 4G sprint area.
My question is: do I need to do something to my device to get reasonable data speed? I travel a lot and although I have decent signal strength in different locations I am only pulling in data speeds of less than 400kbps and upload speeds less than that. I have seen I lower than 100kbps on a couple tests. I am in 3g areas when testing.

Is there some additional programming that needs to be done or is it a pipe dream to think I can stream Pandora while driving during my days on the road?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
400kbps is good for Sprint, at least in my area it would be. I've seen 3g speeds at about 2.5mbps down but that was at Google headquarters. Make sure the phone is up to date. Update the prl, profile, firmware and Samsung software. Your baseband version should end in mb1 if your firmware and software are up to date.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
If the Sprint network still sucks for you after doing the above, which it probably will till they get Network Vision up and running in your area, I would consider T-Mobile if it's good in your area. I average about 20kbps to 100kbps on Sprint and it's been like that for me for months and months. I know quite a few people on Sprint and around my area, which is all over the greater Sacramento area, the network is absolutely pathetic. MetroPCS, At&t, and Verizon have had LTE here for quite some time, and T-Mobile has hspa+42 here. Meanwhile I get and have gotten dialup speeds on Sprint for the better part of the last 1 1/2 years. They are deploying network vision nationwide, and it going to get way better, which it can only get better, worse would be no network data at all. But out of principal I don't think I can reup my contract in July. Plus I want the Nexus 4 and love T-Mobile's new contracts. $70 a month for unlimited everything and no contract and a Nexus 4 unlocked for $350........ Or Sprint, well that's a freaking no brainer, but only if T-Mobile is good in your area.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind, your market doesn't need to be announced or launched for LTE to be available to you. Just keep your network mode set to LTE/CDMA/EVDO, and you'll probably see the little "4G" in your notification bar before you expect it.

Since you're new to Sprint, if you want to keep up with the network upgrade, check out s4gru.com, and dig around a bit in the forums. It's the most up-to-date source of info out there. It's not an official Sprint site, so don't expect them to know everything, and don't go there to complain about the network if you're frustrated. But the info is accurate, and there's a lot more detail than Sprint would ever provide. And if you donate to s4gru, you get access to even more info, like a map of all the towers in your area with progress for each tower.

Trust me. I'm in Chicago, so I'm covered in Network Vision, and the speeds, even on 3G, are much better than before (though, here in Chicago, there's not enough spectrum yet to make a huge difference, but the US Cellular deal should be closing soon). It's worth the wait, especially since you just signed a contract, so you shouldn't have much longer to wait -- depending, unfortunately, on your market and which contractor is in charge of your upgrades.

As for your question, those unfortunately are normal Sprint speeds prior to Network Vision. If you choose to wait for Network Vision, you'll want to use Wifi a lot until NV reaches you.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Sprint GS3 so that I could try the network. I am currently with VZ and am looking to save some money by switching. I am not in a 4G sprint area.
My question is: do I need to do something to my device to get reasonable data speed? I travel a lot and although I have decent signal strength in different locations I am only pulling in data speeds of less than 400kbps and upload speeds less than that. I have seen I lower than 100kbps on a couple tests. I am in 3g areas when testing.

Is there some additional programming that needs to be done or is it a pipe dream to think I can stream Pandora while driving during my days on the road?

I'm curious as to why you're testing Sprint this year from Verizon. I am considering carrier hopping as well, but since Sprint is CDMA too, to me there is no upside (same limitations on devices) and the slower data speeds makes it a complete no-go for me. I'd also considered US Cellular, but it has the exact same issues. I'm about 4 hours away from you and T-Mobile is non-existent here, so my choices are Verizon or AT&T and Verizon data speeds destroy AT&T here.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
No T-mobile where I am at, so that's not an option. I am trying Sprint because the difference in cost for 4 smart phone lines is almost $50 for me as compared to VZ. VZ is also changing me a $15 fee for using the Good app, which Sprint won't charge for. At the end of the day I have to be able to use my phone and have data since I am on the road as a rep in a 3 state territory, but I would sure like to save some money.

I an still within my 14 day trial, so I can continue to see how it goes. I appreciate the feedback.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

If I was you I run turn around and run! Run like ****. Sprint 3G data speeds are god awful. This is what I left them least year. If you wanna save money from Verizon then I would look at att or prepaid service of some sort. Red pocket is great! Its a GSM network that uses att's towers. You can then get a N4 for cheap. Hows the coverage from Tmo & att?

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sprint 3G on Network Vision towers is pretty good. It's a pretty future proof network as well. Too bad their current network wasn't future proof. Those speeds remind me of Verizon 1x.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
If I was you I run turn around and run! Run like ****. Sprint 3G data speeds are god awful. This is what I left them least year. If you wanna save money from Verizon then I would look at att or prepaid service of some sort. Red pocket is great! Its a GSM network that uses att's towers. You can then get a N4 for cheap. Hows the coverage from Tmo & att?

T-Mo is not existent and AT&T is great in metro areas, but drops to 2G outside. It's a no go.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd say stay with Verizon for now, but keep up-to-date with Sprint's upgrades so you can switch back to Sprint once they reach your area. Just don't renew your Verizon contract yet.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd say stay with Verizon for now, but keep up-to-date with Sprint's upgrades so you can switch back to Sprint once they reach your area. Just don't renew your Verizon contract yet.

I'm afraid you might be right. I'm not that worried about emails, but I would like to be able to stream Pandora, etc b

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid you might be right. I'm not that worried about emails, but I would like to be able to stream Pandora, etc b

Did you update everything like I posted?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you update everything like I posted?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I did update everything. As a matter of fact, I have updated a couple times since I am on the move and in different towns as I travel. I am in Sioux Falls, SD tonight. I have a signal strength of -82 on EVDO rev-A:8. My best result tonight was .15mbps down and .11 mbps up. I was able to stream Pandora and check email, although the pictures in the emails took a while. I also tried streaming from Sprint TV and got a little of a BB game on ESPN. That's a very cool service and with good data speeds I would be thrilled.

I have until tomorrow to return the phone and be within the 3 days window to not be charged the activation fee. I was in some extremely rural areas today and had bars showing on my phone almost every time I looked, which is encouraging.

Like I stated before, I want to be able to stream some music from time to time and I must be able to open emails for work through the Good app. I haven't tried the app yet because it can only be on one device at a time and I don't want to take it off my VZ phone yet. I also have to be able to send emails from the same app. These emails do not contain images, but sometimes do contain attachments of docs, pdfs or spreadsheets. I don't think I would have a problem opening an seeing the text based emails, but the occasional attachment may be a challenge. I think I have just been spoiled by VZ LTE and I am having a hard time going backwards.

I appreciate the feedback from the members on here. It has been a help, as usual. I don't know what I am going to end up doing yet. I may hold off a couple more days and see how things work out. The cost of the activation fee will suck if I have to return the phone, but better that than not giving it a really fair shot. With the potential of saving over $500 per year, it's worth trying.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I did update everything. As a matter of fact, I have updated a couple times since I am on the move and in different towns as I travel. I am in Sioux Falls, SD tonight.

Hmmm... Any chance you'll be near the Twin Cities in the next couple days? You didn't really say how far you travel, but it's relatively close to Sioux Falls, and Network Vision has been started there. I don't know how far along it is, but if you get over there, you may be able to try some LTE and/or upgraded 3G. If nothing else, it would at least be a little glimpse into the future if you were to stay with Sprint.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
No, I cover western Iowa over to Des Moines, southeast SD and NE. I will be heading to KC next week, so if I hold onto the phone I will see it there.

In your experience are you able to work with emails and stream music on a consistent basis in areas not upgraded yet?

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
In your experience are you able to work with emails and stream music on a consistent basis in areas not upgraded yet?

Before Chicago got upgraded, I could barely stream Google Music on its own. I insist on streaming the highest quality possible, though, so my experience might be atypical. But the few times I forgot to set it to high quality, it was able to stream OK over legacy equipment. It just didn't sound as good as normal (honestly, if I hadn't had to raise the volume so much more than normal, I probably wouldn't have realized it was a low quality stream; it just sounded slightly "off"; I assumed it was just because I was high until I checked the settings).

I have no idea what kind of quality Pandora uses, but they'll probably adjust for the slower connection.

I never really had a problem with email on the legacy equipment, but I don't get a lot of attachments and stuff to download, and Gmail is set to not show pictures in the email, which saves more bandwidth. I don't think my email experience is a good comparison for you.

Also, if you want to do any of that stuff and navigate with GPS at the same time, forget it. I tried once, a year or so ago. The music skipped, and Navigation had to keep rerouting itself because it couldn't keep up.

As quickly as Sprint is rolling out its upgrades (and they are going much more quickly than some want you to think), they cannot do it quickly enough. The difference is night and day. Like I said, I could barely stream music on its own before the upgrade. Now, I can stream music, navigate, use Gmail, and browse the web all at once without missing a beat (over LTE, of course). That needs to happen for everyone. In the meantime, since it sounds like Sprint's legacy towers won't cut it for you, you should probably stay with Verizon for now and track Sprint's progress so you can go back ASAP.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I think it makes sense to stick with VZ for the short term and not do anything to start a new contract. I was happy with the voice quality on Sprint, but the data was tough. I am looking forward to seeing the network enhancements and I have joined the s4gru forum so that I can keep track of the upgrades.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I think it makes sense to stick with VZ for the short term and not do anything to start a new contract. I was happy with the voice quality on Sprint, but the data was tough. I am looking forward to seeing the network enhancements and I have joined the s4gru forum so that I can keep track of the upgrades.

I've been to several areas and cities that have had Network Vision upgrades and my area also just started them. I got very good speeds and service in those areas. And every once in a while a will have almost full bars in areas where I used to not get service, so um looking forward to this summer when it has been rolled out to a lot more places. Until then the network is pathetic in my area, but like I said I see spikes every once in a while and can't wait till it is consistent.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao