Issues getting straightalk working on my phone.(and general problems.. :( )

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so here's the deal i bought the phone from a friend, it was AT&T Every time i try to make a phone call on it it instantly says no signal, i'm still playing with the APN settings and trying to get it to work but half the time when the phone boots up it doesn't run the media scans and locks up, and the other half the time it doesn't even register there's a sim-card inserted.

Edit: sim card is now working 100% of the time post root, phone randomly is shutting off while in use, while charging goes from 36% (after about 30 minutes of charging) reboots, then is at 17%. seems to lock up(as previously stated) i pull the battery, put it back in and it's at 27% battery.. is there some kind of connection here? xD

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so here's the deal i bought the phone from a friend, it was AT&T Every time i try to make a phone call on it it instantly says no signal, i'm still playing with the APN settings and trying to get it to work but half the time when the phone boots up it doesn't run the media scans and locks up, and the other half the time it doesn't even register there's a sim-card inserted.

Edit: sim card is now working 100% of the time post root, phone randomly is shutting off while in use, while charging goes from 36% (after about 30 minutes of charging) reboots, then is at 17%. seems to lock up(as previously stated) i pull the battery, put it back in and it's at 27% battery.. is there some kind of connection here? xD

Did you get it unlocked through AT&T?

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you get it unlocked through AT&T?
No, phone is unlocked via root, also noticed that the phone only seems to reboot it's self when the battery is being used.
ordered a replacement battery, should be here tomorrow or Saturday, Though the phone maintaining signal is another story..
the coverage in my area is good, the internet only seems to want to work on it only after enabling/disabling flight mode, if the new battery doesn't
fix my problems i'm going to demand a refund lol.

I should also probably say that i tried a factory reset, but to no avail.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No, phone is unlocked via root, also noticed that the phone only seems to reboot it's self when the battery is being used.
ordered a replacement battery, should be here tomorrow or Saturday, Though the phone maintaining signal is another story..
the coverage in my area is good, the internet only seems to want to work on it only after enabling/disabling flight mode, if the new battery doesn't
fix my problems i'm going to demand a refund lol.

It might need to be carrier unlocked is the point I was trying to make. :) Bootloader unlock/root aren't the same thing. It's a code that you get from the carrier to allow it to work uninhibited on other compatible networks.

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
and what of the other problems?

I have an old LGThrive that works flawlessly on straight talk (also at&t) without even rooting it.

is there a way around having to go through the carrier? i have a pretty strong feeling they'd charge me.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
and what of the other problems?

I have an old LGThrive that works flawlessly on straight talk (also at&t) without even rooting it.

is there a way around having to go through the carrier? i have a pretty strong feeling they'd charge me.

As for the other problems I couldn't say. Did you originally purchase the phone from AT&T, fulfilled your contract, then moved to Straight Talk? Or did you get it from someone else? Worst case scenario is that you call AT&T and they do want to charge you (unlikely, I've heard good things about getting unlock codes from AT&T) just hang up the phone. I imagine they'll want the IMEI of the phone, and if it's clean you'll probably get the code. That being said, that might not have anything to do with your data inexplicably going in and out.

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
might just say the heck with it and buy a straight talk S2 and get a refund from my friend. lol this thing is more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Well that's also an option. :)
speaking of options, i actually just flashed Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 and it fixed the crashing, started looking around on the net and found some resolutions to problems that are for the GS2 (standard) which are usually either hardware, or some kind of system corruption, Well as far as the random signal loss. Alot of people suggest flashing firmware upgrades to the radio.

Update: i tried flashing a radio driver, no such luck, wifi actually seems to be the source of the crashing now. (start wifi> open web page> almost instant crash.)

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
speaking of options, i actually just flashed Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 and it fixed the crashing, started looking around on the net and found some resolutions to problems that are for the GS2 (standard) which are usually either hardware, or some kind of system corruption, Well as far as the random signal loss. Alot of people suggest flashing firmware upgrades to the radio.

Update: i tried flashing a radio driver, no such luck, wifi actually seems to be the source of the crashing now. (start wifi> open web page> almost instant crash.)

I don't do too much flashing of radios, but maybe there are different ones that will affect the wifi performance.

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't do too much flashing of radios, but maybe there are different ones that will affect the wifi performance.

could it be hardware related? isn't the GSM/Wifi/loudspeaker all one piece inside the phone? i'm determined to get this thing working by any means, my friend is a.. well... won't give me a refund

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
could it be hardware related? isn't the GSM/Wifi/loudspeaker all one piece inside the phone? i'm determined to get this thing working by any means, my friend is a.. well... won't give me a refund

I guess it could be. As far as the internal layout I have no idea.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Phone's been water damaged, and the GSM antenna is fried according to a "samsung representative".. probably either going to get it refurbed or try and sell it off to someone else that wants a headache.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s