I've used the HTC One. You've got questions. Let's do this.

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
1- Is Sense 5 still significantly slower than Nexus 4 with AOSP when opening closing apps (Sense has delays here when I accidentally open an app and need to close it quickly where as AOSP handles this MUCH quicker than Sense 4.x)

2- Is the browser performance (page load and smoothness) similar to that of S3 stock, iOS or Nexus 4 (they all perform similarly)?
(Sense 4 was abysmal at this in the time trials and if it was an image heavy site, it was nearly unusable at times on my EVO LTE with page stuttering etc. However when moving to CM10 it was inline with my other high end devices like S3, and Nexus 7).

I ask this because I love the Sense design but as AOSP has improved in design and functionality, Sense has become redundant or even worse (still no pull down notifications on my EVO LTE's). However I've been forced to stay on Sense instead of CM or other AOSP due to the amazing Camera. So I'm interested in knowing if this love-hate relationship still exists or if Sense is finally up to speed in performance.

jmitr

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey Phil, asked a question a few pages back but it may have been missed.

1. Does sense 5 still include scenes? I like separating work and personal screen set ups.

2. Can you disable the clock / weather widget in the app drawer?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

integralus

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
After using Blinkfeed, does it seem like its a copy of Windows phone 8 live tile concept?

From all the hands-on videos I've seen, this is not the same thing as Windows Live tile. If you've ever used Flip board, it's that without being able to choose your news sources. And that's basically it, a news and facebook feed aggregate.

Windows Live Tiles are your main GUI interfacing units that contain some phone function that displays its info in real time, so not like Blinkfeed at all.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
From all the hands-on videos I've seen, this is not the same thing as Windows Live tile. If you've ever used Flip board, it's that without being able to choose your news sources. And that's basically it, a news and facebook feed aggregate.

Windows Live Tiles are your main GUI interfacing units that contain some phone function that displays its info in real time, so not like Blinkfeed at all.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Right. They're very different. Except both can be rectangular.

joshsamd

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Love your thorough review of the One. I'm pretty excited to read some full in-depth reviews in the next couple weeks. My question is: does HTC support/ allow the stock Jelly Bean keyboard? I think I read that sense 4+ and the HTC One X used Jelly Bean stock keyboard or at least didn't pose a problem for anyone who wanted to install jelly bean keyboard. How is the HTC One stock keyboard, and can I replace it with Jelly Bean keyboard without problems? Thanks.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
1- Is Sense 5 still significantly slower than Nexus 4 with AOSP when opening closing apps (Sense has delays here when I accidentally open an app and need to close it quickly where as AOSP handles this MUCH quicker than Sense 4.x)

2- Is the browser performance (page load and smoothness) similar to that of S3 stock, iOS or Nexus 4 (they all perform similarly)?
(Sense 4 was abysmal at this in the time trials and if it was an image heavy site, it was nearly unusable at times on my EVO LTE with page stuttering etc. However when moving to CM10 it was inline with my other high end devices like S3, and Nexus 7).

I ask this because I love the Sense design but as AOSP has improved in design and functionality, Sense has become redundant or even worse (still no pull down notifications on my EVO LTE's). However I've been forced to stay on Sense instead of CM or other AOSP due to the amazing Camera. So I'm interested in knowing if this love-hate relationship still exists or if Sense is finally up to speed in performance.
I noticed absolutely no slowdown at all. Part of that's going to be Jelly Bean, part Snapdragon 600. I think the days when a particular skin would result in lag are over. In every app, including the stock browser, the new One is buttery smooth with no lag. Easily as fast as the Nexus 4.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Love your thorough review of the One. I'm pretty excited to read some full in-depth reviews in the next couple weeks. My question is: does HTC support/ allow the stock Jelly Bean keyboard? I think I read that sense 4+ and the HTC One X used Jelly Bean stock keyboard or at least didn't pose a problem for anyone who wanted to install jelly bean keyboard. How is the HTC One stock keyboard, and can I replace it with Jelly Bean keyboard without problems? Thanks.

I didn't look for the stock Jelly Bean keyboard, but remember this is 4.1 and not 4.2, so you'll be missing gesture typing if it is there (I'm willing to bet it's not though).

Stock keyboard was very fast and responsive. The keys themselves are pretty tall, and although I didn't see or use it myself, HTC tells me the Trace keyboard is still there if you want it.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey, everybody. Just a heads up that if you don't hear from myself and Alex for a little bit later tonight/Saturday, it's because we're en route to Barcelona, and not that we don't love you. Keep the questions coming!

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Need more time with it. What's you're really asking is "How quickly are apps dumped out of RAM."

You know how Sense 4 didn't have true multitasking.... I.e. If you had Twitter open, then went to another app then tried to go back to Twitter using the 'recent apps' button it would cause it to refresh (instead of opening where you left off). Unlike the true multitasking on the Nexus 4. Did HTC address this at all in Sense 5?

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked(didn't see it). Call me old school, but I like the old Sense look as far as the flipclock etc.. go. Can the new Home screen Blinkfeed be disabled/replaced for a more traditional Sense look? Without hacking/modding etc..

Thanks
Rob

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked(didn't see it). Call me old school, but I like the old Sense look as far as the flipclock etc.. go. Can the new Home screen Blinkfeed be disabled/replaced for a more traditional Sense look? Without hacking/modding etc..

Thanks
Rob

Yes. The old Sense clock widget is still ther

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I know it is there. Just wondering if it can replace Blinkfeed or if Blinkfeed was a "permanent" piece of the main Home screen.

You can't remove Blinkfeed, however you could just set a different home screen as the default, and put any widget you want on that screen.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2