JB for the Sprint Galaxy nexus

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
This tool makes rooting very easy. You can even check YouTube for videos on how to root the GNex. I would look for a video by QBKing77, he does a great job of explaining everything step-by-step.

Thanks man. I actually watched QBKing77 videos over the weekend. Yeah he did do a good job of explaining step by step. But if I understood correctly (maybe I didn't) in his videos he seems to be point people to a specific recovery and a specific ROM. I guess I was curious if anything was different if I chose a different recover and ROM.

Also, when I do my research I always like to review more than one source of info.

That XDA thread you pointed me too looks really useful.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks man. I actually watched QBKing77 videos over the weekend. Yeah he did do a good job of explaining step by step. But if I understood correctly (maybe I didn't) in his videos he seems to be point people to a specific recovery and a specific ROM. I guess I was curious if anything was different if I chose a different recover and ROM.

Also, when I do my research I always like to review more than one source of info.

That XDA thread you pointed me too looks really useful.

QBKing tends to favor TWRP recovery over CWM but I personally like to use CWM more. During the root process you can choose one or the other. Once rooted, you can choose any ROM you want, he's flashed most of them.

Reactions: jean15paul

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Info that Sprint will not release the info to root was a bummer but now I am seeing stories that ALL Galaxy Nexus devices will be getting an official JB OTA in the near future.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Gets Android Jelly Bean: Which Device Will Be Next? - International Business Times

Google Starts Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Rollout With Galaxy Nexus | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Build JRO03C Rolling Out Now to HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7

Android 4.1.1 Rolling out to the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus – xda-developers

I guess a little patience is needed if you want the OFFICIAL GOOGLE/SAMSUNG/SPRINT OTA JELLY BEAN UPDATE like I do.
Did not want to root unless that is the last option.

All of the above links refer to the info on Google+:

"If you’ve got a Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ device, you will receive a prompt alerting you to the update over the next several days. Up next for Jelly Bean: all Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Motorola Xoom and of course, Nexus 7, which will ship with Jelly Bean later this month."

Mav. :cool:

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Info that Sprint will not release the info to root was a bummer but now I am seeing stories that ALL Galaxy Nexus devices will be getting an official JB OTA in the near future.
"If you’ve got a Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ device, you will receive a prompt alerting you to the update over the next several days. Up next for Jelly Bean: all Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Motorola Xoom and of course, Nexus 7, which will ship with Jelly Bean later this month."

Mav.

I don't doubt that the Sprint Nexus will get official JB OTA eventually (as will the EVO 4G LTE) - the question is "how delayed will it be - compared to the GSM Nexus?"

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I've updated the OP with links to all 4.1.1 ROM's since there are now a few new ones out there. I am still running R U Jellin and it's great! Everything is now working including MMS.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
QBKing tends to favor TWRP recovery over CWM but I personally like to use CWM more. During the root process you can choose one or the other. Once rooted, you can choose any ROM you want, he's flashed most of them.

Question: neither QBKing or the link that you provided mention wiping you device before you flash a ROM, but I've heard that's important. Help please. When, what, and how do you wipe? (Dalvik? cache?)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Question: neither QBKing or the link that you provided mention wiping you device before you flash a ROM, but I've heard that's important. Help please. When, what, and how do you wipe? (Dalvik? cache?)

Whenever you flash a new ROM be sure to wipe data, dalvik, and cache. QBKing sometimes does that before making a video but it's definitely comething you wanna do before flashing a ROM.

Go into recovery wipe data (factory reset), wipe dalvik, and in the advanced menu wipe cache before flashing a ROM.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

Wipe everything in most cases. Data, cache, dalvik. Some ROM updates will only need you to wipe dalvik.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey there. I flashed RU Gellin rc3 over RU Gellin rc2 and I've lost Face Unlock. Any thoughts? I cleared cache and dalvik first.

seeing that ru gellin rc3 is based off source whereas the previous releases were ports, I'd say you'd be best doing a full wipe including data before flashing.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you flash the latest dated gapps from this site:

Gapps

It is the most working gapps available right now. There is no official gapps yet so it's not 100% working, but close enough.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: Seven2k

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a bunch. When the official JB for sprint comes out. Do I just unroot and lock the phone again?

You don't need to lock the bootloader again to get an OTA. Just go back to stock which is actually very easy to do. Just put your phone into download mode and flash through odin. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Here's the step-by-step and files you need to download:

[ACS] Return to stock using Odin - xda-developers

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to lock the bootloader again to get an OTA. Just go back to stock which is actually very easy to do. Just put your phone into download mode and flash through odin. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Here's the step-by-step and files you need to download:

[ACS] Return to stock using Odin - xda-developers

I did it...but google now does not work with speech. I know i have to do something to make it work.....would you happen to know.

Got it!! GNow is now working.....Does GWallet work even though it says unsupported device?

Last edited:

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
GWallet works ....but i cant receive or send picture MMS. Tried the telephony fix and still cant get anything. Picture sits there saying sending... any idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard