Just got a PH-1 and had an interesting chat with one of the company reps

ebrandwein

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
In a nutshell, I contacted them before picking one up and asked them for some update about the company. Specifically, I wanted to know if support going forward was still contemplated despite the iffy news about Essential in the business press. This is the response I got below

"Thank you for your question. We are fully committed to supporting Essential Phone (PH-1) and 360 Camera. Your Essential Phone will continue to be among the first to receive the latest security updates and software fixes. We will provide platform updates for 2 years (August 2019) and security updates for 3 years (August 2020) from the initial launch date. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I hope you have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Essential
Essential Customer Experience Team"

I know that doesn't constitute an ironclad guaranty but it is encouraging to me at least.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is awesome to know! I was reading Android Central's "Will your phone get Android Pie" article, and apparently Essential was among the very first manufacturers to get it, alongside Google.

I must say, Essential is working very hard at keeping its promises and in keeping its customers happy. Security updates, quick software updates, and camera updates along the way... Very impressive. Maybe I'll get an Essential Phone 2 (or whatever it will be called) if Essential continues to exist on its own or is purchased by another company. I like how they do business and I love their design.

jre72

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I just got my phone today as well....was a little surprised the battery was down to almost zero. Usually phones and other gadgets are usually 20-50% charged. I had to wait for it to charge enough for the Pie update to install. So far, so good.

Good to hear they will continue to support it.

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I just got my phone today as well....was a little surprised the battery was down to almost zero. Usually phones and other gadgets are usually 20-50% charged. I had to wait for it to charge enough for the Pie update to install. So far, so good.

Good to hear they will continue to support it.

Please fill us in on your experience with the Essential ok?

jre72

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Will do...just did a quick comparo of the camera with my iPhone X. Work is calling so I'll play more later.