Just purchased S22 Ultra

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Saw Best Buy had Galaxy Watch 4 40mm (44mm was huge on my tiny wrist) for $209 and just picked one up. So now I have a complete ecosystem of Samsung (vs iOS ecosystem just yesterday).

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually, anytime the end lens element will fog in temp changes. The UV filter just takes the fog from the lens element. Anytime you walk with a camera from a cold area into a warmer area; fog will develop on the glass. I get it out here all winter long, on my sunglasses walking from the extreme cold dry weather into my warm humidified house. Within seconds they are fogged.

However, the 77mm B+W UV filters (have a few Hoya's too) on my lenses cost around $150.00. And the cost for other filters exceed that amount. However, they are all coated optical glass. I highly doubt if any of the inexpensive glass lens coverings sold for phone cameras are optical glass and/or coated.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if a camera lens protector is necessary for this phone? I purchased some on Amazon that were "case friendly" and they aren't friendly with my UAG civilian case. =/

ESR camera protectors work fine with the Civilian case.

How are you liking the Civilian case? I find it pretty slippery.

civ01.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
ESR camera protectors work fine with the Civilian case.

How are you liking the Civilian case? I find it pretty slippery.

View attachment 343724

I returned it to Best Buy today because it wasn't compatible with my lens protectors and it was slippery. I picked up the Otterbox Commuter, which is my usual go-to. The camera lens protectors I purchased on Amazon works with this case. I like the ones you have better. I'll find individual ones on Amazon.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Yep! Even a UV filter on an SLR lens will cause fog in temperature and humidity changes, and UV filters are designed for camera lenses.

When I first started using a DSLR there were a lot of recommendations to use a UV filter to protect my expensive lenses...bad advice 😅

I got softer images, less contrast, fog as you mention, and really strange flares in some light conditions especially at indoor concerts. I still use ND filters and on rare occasions a CPL on occasion but otherwise won't cover a lens with another piece of glass.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
ONE good thing I noticed is S22 ultra screen is not as curved as Note 20 ultra screen which is a good thing ,and we get more screen estate to type and see

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
ONE good thing I noticed is S22 ultra screen is not as curved as Note 20 ultra screen which is a good thing ,and we get more screen estate to type and see

Still too curved. I don't understand why the Ultra has the most prominent curves of the series when it's the one that needs them least. They just make using S-Pen a pain

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
After resisting for the last month, I just went ahead and picked up the burgundy 256GB S22 Ultra from my local Best Buy store. They had one unlocked version available in all of MSP so I jumped on it. I traded in my iPhone 13 Pro Max for it and got a pretty decent trade in. Thankfully Amazon had Whitestone Dome Glass screen protectors available for same-day delivery so those will be coming in at any moment. I picked up the UAG Civilian from Best Buy.

All in all, I'm really glad to be back on a new Samsung phone that has a built-in S Pen. These cameras are phenomenal!
Congrats on the new phone!

PWay34

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
Learned a long time ago with SLRs/DSLRs never place a piece of uncoated, cheap glass between the lens and the subject. From flare to just poor quality it can all happen and affect the photo. Now, there is a difference between photos taken on a phone for sending to friends and sometimes enlarged and hung on a wall vs, those that are taken to be sold or hung on a wall for sure. But I honestly will never use a lens protector on my phone even if my photos will be primarily of dogs, scenery, wild life (four legged type, not the type that wonders the streets), and if I ever get serious again, the Nikons will come out of the closet.

However, that is my opinion and only my opinion and that with five bucks will get you a gallon of diesel fuel yesterday.

I do use this case and it not only helps to protect the lenses, it also prevents the dreaded lint that accumulates around the separate lenses.

J1OpNf1.jpg
5y2PqFB.jpg
What case is that?

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Guys need advice....I purchased mobile insurance which covers front and back glass damage and liquid damage for 1 year...
With 1 claim a year
Now iam using Note 20 ultra and S22 ultra daily...using Note 20 ultra more than 1 year now...so finally had the guts to use it without any screen guard or tempered glass....and love using the phone with original glass
Now should I start using my S22 ultra also without and screen guard since I have insurance
I paid 62 $ For the insurance
I wonder all u guys who have insurance, do u use your new phone without any screen guard
What u guys suggest ?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Guys need advice....I purchased mobile insurance which covers front and back glass damage and liquid damage for 1 year...
With 1 claim a year
Now iam using Note 20 ultra and S22 ultra daily...using Note 20 ultra more than 1 year now...so finally had the guts to use it without any screen guard or tempered glass....and love using the phone with original glass
Now should I start using my S22 ultra also without and screen guard since I have insurance
I paid 62 $ For the insurance
I wonder all u guys who have insurance, do u use your new phone without any screen guard
What u guys suggest ?
When you phone gets damaged, if insurance is going to quickly cover the damage...then why not? I wouldn't do that but if you prefer how the phone feels unprotected then go for it.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I stopped using screen protectors a few years ago. I couldn't stand the edges on the tempered glass on curved screens. And the FPS works flawlessly. AND, the insurance deductible for a screen replacement isn't any more expensive than the glass screen protectors.

It's probably been 8 years since i broke a screen. And that was because I left the phone on top of my Jeep and drove on the highway - phone came off at 65MPH, and a screen protector would not have helped as the entire phone was destroyed.

So I say if you aren't rough on your phones, go for the naked screen. I it!

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Personally I use screen protector now at all times.one because I don’t like scratches on front. Two,because accidents happen.I have insurance on my device. But I have twice recently had to replace a screen on my note 20 ultra. Once because I broke screen with accidental fall and not only did screen crack but only half of screen worked. Dog knocked phone out of my hand it still cost me 295 for a new screen. Second time was 2 months later I had screen burn in needed a new screen and digitizer not covered because considered user error. (by the way the phone was under warranty still). Again cost. Me 295.had a case on phone too .always case my phones.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've learned after being around here for...some years...that the way people care for their phones is highly varied. Some protect them as much as possible (screen protector, case, insurance) some don't feel like protecting them at all (no case, no screen protector...and maybe insurance). It's always quite interesting to read different people's perspective about how they care for (or don't) their devices.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I had a weird issue....I suddenly realized my ear piece volume had gone low....I normally keep it at 50 to 60% coz is very loud ....
I was shocked suddenly what happened...
Brand new phone just few days old and ear piece volume has gone down...speaker gone bad soo soon....I felt bad that I had to take brand new phone to service centre....
Then suddenly I realised my screen guard had moved up and was covering the ear piece....
I laughed and was happy nothing wrong with the phone...
Soo I peeled off the screen guard.... and installed matt finish guard... that looks good and no finger prints on the device....IMG-20220406-WA0020.jpg

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I've learned after being around here for...some years...that the way people care for their phones is highly varied. Some protect them as much as possible (screen protector, case, insurance) some don't feel like protecting them at all (no case, no screen protector...and maybe insurance). It's always quite interesting to read different people's perspective about how they care for (or don't) their devices.
Agreed! You gotta do what works for you. I personally am very careful with my devices, so minimal to no protection works for me.

My mother-in-law insited on a heavy duty case the last time she got a phone, and I watched her drop it within days on hard tile. So she needs the heavy duty protection and she knows it.

So if you know what you need/want, just trust that. If you ask 10 people here what you need you will get 10 different answers; But none of them know you and your specific needs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam_274