Just so I'm clear...

thewisteron

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It is ok to root a phone and not install a custom rom? If I root, do I still have the stock rom? I mainly want to do three things:

1. Freeze/remove bloatware (with an app like Bloat Freezer)
2. Optimize battery/CPU speed (with an app like SetCPU)
3. And possibly tethering.

I might look into custom roms later, but it seems like all of them do different things and it is very intimidating. Thanks in advance.

KommyDroid

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Correct.

1. Get Titanium Backup instead of Bloat Freezer or whatever, you can just uninstall all apps you don't want.

2. Get SetCPU from the market

3. Get Wireless Tether for Root Users

thewisteron

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I've heard you should "Freeze" the bloatware instead of removing it so it doesn't interfere with future OTA updates. Do you agree?

By the way, I am still on 3.29 and it says my phone is up to date. Anyone know why it doesn't ask me to update to 3.70? I remember it popping up once and I declined it. Now it doesn't show up at all.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I've heard you should "Freeze" the bloatware instead of removing it so it doesn't interfere with future OTA updates. Do you agree?

By the way, I am still on 3.29 and it says my phone is up to date. Anyone know why it doesn't ask me to update to 3.70? I remember it popping up once and I declined it. Now it doesn't show up at all.

You won't be able to do OTA's after you root. You will have to wait for the root versions of those OTA updates.

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
It is ok to root a phone and not install a custom rom? If I root, do I still have the stock rom? I mainly want to do three things:

1. Freeze/remove bloatware (with an app like Bloat Freezer)
2. Optimize battery/CPU speed (with an app like SetCPU)
3. And possibly tethering.

I might look into custom roms later, but it seems like all of them do different things and it is very intimidating. Thanks in advance.

It's perfectly fine, but we will mock and ridicule you until you do.:cool:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Id suggest flashing the ac rom from this site, its mostly stock with tweaks that will really help ya out, plus the bloat is already gone and everything works.

thewisteron

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Two more questions:

If I mess something up and want to put my phone right back to where it is now (like I never rooted in the first place), is that easy?

If I just want the exact stock rom without any tweaks (basically root access with nothing else), do those roms exist? I'll probably try one of the roms mentioned above, but just in case...

KommyDroid

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Two more questions:

If I mess something up and want to put my phone right back to where it is now (like I never rooted in the first place), is that easy?

If I just want the exact stock rom without any tweaks (basically root access with nothing else), do those roms exist? I'll probably try one of the roms mentioned above, but just in case...

You can't back up before you root, but right after you do, do a nandroid back up via recovery. That way if anything happens when flashing the new one, ect you can go back, safe.

Yes, look in the Development section over at xda, there's a thread with the stock rooted ROM.