Launcher recommendation

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Nova finally released another beta update, 8.0.4 a couple of days ago. Added more color picking options and included more legacy options. I didn't go through any of that, but otherwise still works fine.

Reactions: Bkdodger1

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Nova update
00d86d2b67e6d99bcf550df772171bbc.jpg

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Beta 5 in 2024 lol?
Unlike Samsung's one UI, Nova has been doing everything for years.. Updates aren't as needed like Samsung's. Samsungs one UI is better, but it took a long time to get it here, and one UI still doesn't have as many features, even with their third party app, good lock, which most people probably don't even know about. There's not much to upgrade on Nova but small stuff like this update. When Google introduced gestures like it was some great invention, Nova was already doing it for years.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Nova seems to be dead. Not sure what's going on with it. Last stable update December 2021
I have always been a beta tester for nova and the last update was April 20 2023. I have never had any issues with stability with their beta builds either. This includes running it on graphene on my p7p.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unlike Samsung's one UI, Nova has been doing everything for years.. Updates aren't as needed like Samsung's. Samsungs one UI is better, but it took a long time to get it here, and one UI still doesn't have as many features, even with their third party app, good lock, which most people probably don't even know about. There's not much to upgrade on Nova but small stuff like this update. When Google introduced gestures like it was some great invention, Nova was already doing it for years.
If they know about Nova there's a good chance they will know about Good Lock , just saying
Because they looking on tweaking their device more than stock .

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have always been a beta tester for nova and the last update was April 20 2023. I have never had any issues with stability with their beta builds either. This includes running it on graphene on my p7p.
When was the last beta update before the one on the national Day of dankness?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If they know about Nova there's a good chance they will know about Good Lock , just saying
Because they looking on tweaking their device more than stock .
This is true. Most people don't give a hoot about launchers or good lock, they just use what's there. I have friends that use Verizon messages just because that's what was on the phone, they just assumed that's the text messaging app as it was the first thing they seen.

More reason why Samsung should just make good lock part of the launcher settings, put it under customize in the launcher settings.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is true. Most people don't give a hoot about launchers or good lock, they just use what's there. I have friends that use Verizon messages just because that's what was on the phone, they just assumed that's the text messaging app as it was the first thing they seen.

More reason why Samsung should just make good lock part of the launcher settings, put it under customize in the launcher settings.
I agree most out there don't know of these stuff we know here and I think Samsung should make Good lock default but we see in the future.

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
If you like minimalistic approaches, you might want to try Niagara Launcher.
@B. Diddy & Thanks Everyone ... Been reading the posts @ Launchers, trying to sort out... Just downloaded Niagra & it IS Pretty Cool. Way better than Clutter.

Are icons related to websites ("add to home screen") - aka Shortcuts, gone?
Who needed them anyhoo.

Any other ideas for creative newbies to launchers, would love to know. Hard to choose.

Anyone else a Visual Thinker ?

Screenshot_20240106_183643_Niagara Launcher.jpgScreenshot_20240106_182016_Niagara Launcher.jpgScreenshot_20240106_182511_Niagara Launcher.jpgScreenshot_20240106_180323_Niagara Launcher.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240106_183643_Niagara Launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20240106_183643_Niagara Launcher.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 39

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
@B. Diddy & Thanks Everyone ... Been reading the posts @ Launchers, trying to sort out... Just downloaded Niagra & it IS Pretty Cool. Way better than Clutter.

Are icons related to websites ("add to home screen") - aka Shortcuts, gone?
Who needed them anyhoo.

Any other ideas for creative newbies to launchers, would love to know. Hard to choose.

Anyone else a Visual Thinker ?

View attachment 358638View attachment 358639View attachment 358640View attachment 358641
Nice looking photo there and looks like you're on your way to setting up nicely... You should be able to swap out icons you can get some from the Play store and shortcuts from websites if you wish to place some on the home screen and amend the icon style

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I know that since it's been sold, this isn't as popular as others, but I have stuck with Nova Launcher Prime. For only ONE REASON. Multiple Dock Pages. I have not been able to find another launcher with this feature implemented well.

I am a clean home screen person. All I have on my home screen is the wallpaper and a clock/weather widget. I rarely use the app drawer and have everything I use on the regular in folders on the dock and have 3 dock screens that I scroll through.

About a year or so ago, I went through and tried just about every launcher I could find to see if someone else has implemented this and found that it's not something most dev's think about and it's sad.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nova Prime is in my opinion better than all the other launcher, but i still use OneUI launcher which to me is better than any of the launcher out there.
I tried a lot of launchers out there in past and now but Nova in my opinion is just better , I know this will vary between people and how they customize but from experience Nova .

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Don't see any reason to blindly trust Branch, and installing APKs from Discord servers strikes me as a little sketch.

If they aren't doing anything dodgy, then why not let Nova 8 go through Play Store verification?
Technically, the beta releases have been through Discord long before Branch was involved.

Although it does seem strange that they don't just officially release version 8 now.

As for Branch, as long as all they are involved with is search, then I don't care. I never use any search from the UI. Only from within the browser.

In fact, the first thing I do on any new phone setup is get rid of whatever search bar is on the home screen. If Nova ever makes it so I can't remove the search bar, then I'm dumping them.

Reactions: BEaRebel

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Technically, the beta releases have been through Discord long before Branch was involved.

Although it does seem strange that they don't just officially release version 8 now.

As for Branch, as long as all they are involved with is search, then I don't care. I never use any search from the UI. Only from within the browser.

In fact, the first thing I do on any new phone setup is get rid of whatever search bar is on the home screen. If Nova ever makes it so I can't remove the search bar, then I'm dumping them.
Yeah, I know. But THe fact that Nova 8 is "beta" at all at this point is what gives me pause... You use it, do you think it isn't ready for a stable release?

Reactions: BEaRebel

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886