Launchers - Stock or Aftermarket?

ntotrr

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for my Essential phone to be delivered today. My current phone is a ZTE Axon 7 and Iv'e used both the Nova and Apex launchers. I was using Nova for quite some time but then began to experience some stability problems that I never could pin down. I switched to the Apex launcher and have had no issues with it. I'll use the Essential for awhile before deciding whether or not to use a launcher.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for my Essential phone to be delivered today. My current phone is a ZTE Axon 7 and Iv'e used both the Nova and Apex launchers. I was using Nova for quite some time but then began to experience some stability problems that I never could pin down. I switched to the Apex launcher and have had no issues with it. I'll use the Essential for awhile before deciding whether or not to use a launcher.

I use Nova Prime. No issues.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

What kind of problems?

ntotrr

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
What kind of problems?

I was experiencing some pretty bad lagging, some of it bad enough that it seemed like the phone locked up but it would eventually "free up". Once I stopped using the Nova Launcher, the problems went away. IIRC, the problems started after an OTA update from ZTE.

I've been using the Essential for one day now, it arrived yesterday. It may be too early to make a proper judgment but at this point I'd say that I'll be using the stock launcher. I like how it works.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I use Nova for the gestures and the back up. Anytime I get a new phone or have to do a reset. I literally just install my back up from my Google drive, I don't have to worry about adjusting settings or icon placement. I like to have a gesture where I swipe down on my screen from anywhere and it slides the notifications and toggles down. Swipe up for resent apps. I set the second press for the home button as my app drawer command. I also hate icon labels on my phones.

I agree. Nova is far more configurable than any stock launcher I've ever used and seems fairly lightweight in terms of impacting the phones performance. I have mine set up so a double tap opens the settings app. Gestures work well and like you I get rid of the icon text. It's so much cleaner. Backups are nice too.

tryfe

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Switched from Nova to Microsoft Launcher and haven't looked back. Got it configured almost exactly like I had Nova and have all my gestures setup the same as before. With Google's At a Glance widget, quick access to calendar and weather are easy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord