Left Thunderbolt for the Apple orchard

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I know there are a lot of ways to measure "support". But if you look at the TBolt maintenance releases you'll find three maintenance releases in 6 months (MR1, MR2 and MR3GB). That averages one every other month. MR4GB about to be re-released again. Really, I doubt there's another phone on the planet with that much maintenance release "support". Personally, I'm happy that HTC/VZW are working for us. We'd all like it sooner, but their track record so far is quite good compared to other phones.

-Frank

I'd count MR1 and MR2 as a single release. MR1 was a screwup (that thankfully I avoided by coming late enough into the game) and MR2 was MR1 "done right".

In the same way, I'm going to have to call MR3GB and the hopefully-soon-upcoming MR4GB a single release. MR3GB isn't as much a screwup as MR1 was, but Verizon did pull it back because it broke more things than it fixed. It was a flawed implementation that I'd say was rushed out the door except it took them MONTHS to accomplish it, so I can only attribute it to incompetence.

I don't disagree with your base argument - that Verizon and HTC still seem to be giving this phone some upgrade/maintenance lovin' even after it seems to have lost the "flagship phone" crown (though the Tbolt isn't quite ready for the bent-can rack just yet, it isn't the new hotness any more).

But Thunderbolt software upgrades seem to be like Star Trek movies. The odd-numbered ones are best avoided. :p

Gank77

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I Think I got lucky when I got my HTC Thunderbolt earlier this spring. Austin Texas was not on the 4G list, and I was able to negotiate a unlimited 3G data plan for the Thunderbolt, after telling them that I refuse to pay for the data limited 4G plan in an area that has no 4G (or limited 4G) access.

The cool thing about it, is that now Austin Texas has 4G, and I am still on the unlimited 3G plan using 4G data speeds ...

Have fun with the IPhone, and its non-supportive, restrictive, (dare I say monopolized??) community

:p

allaboutnewphone

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I was able to keep unlimited data. Good thing too, I find myself downloading a lot more stuff!

iPhone is working great. There are other texting apps that use data, but I find that the built in text app works great, and that most of the texting apps on Android like GoSMS try to emulate the iPhone texting experience. But if/when you get your iPhone, give the stock texting app a go for a day, I think you'll find yourself very comfortable.

As for the keyboard, you won't be able to change that unless you jailbreak. Again, I think the stock keyboard is great as it is (though I will admit, I do kinda miss Swype...kinda). With the 4s, you do get the Siri microphone button so you can talk what you want to say in any app, kinda like the Google experience. I have found that it works great.

If your focus with Android was customizing every little thing, you will miss it. But if you only customized a few things here and there, the benefits of switching to the iPhone outweigh the customization options in my opinion.

You have to remember, all of the companies are stealing ideas from each other all the time. Apple from Android, Android from Apple, Android from Windows Mobile. So, chances are that if you miss a feature now, it may come up in a competing device soon. That's why I keep coming here; its nice to be able to discuss what my experience was with Android and is now with iOS, and things that can be improved on both platforms. To me, iOS is better for me because it does what I want it to do and nothing more, and it just seems more stable. Ice Cream Sandwich may get closer to that, but its the stupid crap like the "facial recognition unlock" that turns me off to Android - it didn't even work right during the product demo. To me, there is a certain point where you can innovate and have it be helpful to the user, and if you go beyond that point, you over-complicate things and then the device doesn't work and you have a dissatisfied user. To some, over-complication isn't a problem because they tinker. I used to tinker, both with Android and iOS with my iPod touch, and it got old really fast. If Steve Jobs left any impression on this world, its that things should just work out of the box for the user in a great and easy way, and if you want to tinker, then go from there. One shouldn't have to tinker to make the device work just right. *off soapbox*
Thanks A lot!! I love the android market and I love my TB but I've always wanted an I phone. And now that they have the white one too I really want it. I don't do that much customization with my TB anyways so I think I might just give the iPhone 4s a chance and If I don't like it or miss android too much I can always turn back before my 14 day is up :) Thanks for the information.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks A lot!! I love the android market and I love my TB but I've always wanted an I phone. And now that they have the white one too I really want it. I don't do that much customization with my TB anyways so I think I might just give the iPhone 4s a chance and If I don't like it or miss android too much I can always turn back before my 14 day is up :) Thanks for the information.

When we recently migrated from Blackberries, we were given our choice of six phones:

- iPhone (ATT or Verizon),
- Largescreen Android (Thunderbolt VZ, Inspire ATT).
- Androids with physical keyboards (Droid Pro VZ, Status ATT).

The vast majority of people chose iPhones, and seem very happy with them.

Personally, I tried one, and I still cannot type on the teeny little keyboard on the teeny little screen. No real problems on my tbolt, but the screen allows a keyboard that's just big enough that I can tolerate it. I also prefer something I can tinker with, I do visit sites that use flash and I want to be able to visit them on my phone, and I've found apps I can run in Android that Apple's restrictions don't allow (Sensorly, for example). There are more free apps that do the things I want to do (Geocaching, for example). My big meaty fingers can try out different keyboards, and I replaced the launcher with GoLauncher, which gives me a lot of features and customization options the stock Sense launcher is missing. I could do NONE of that on Apple.

But I want to do these things; not everyone does.

I'm also tolerant of rough edges in my technology, like having to manually create a folder called "ringtones" to add ringtones to my custom list, and not depending on software to assume I know this. And having software vendors allowed to put things in the Market that might not work on my phone (because the software is written for many models of phone with many featuresets by many manufacturers, rather than One OS to Rule Them All). Yeah, little stuff like that annoys me, but I'm tolerant of it. Freedom comes at a price, and that price is generally complication.

I don't like or dislike either. They're PHONES, fercrissake. Go to a store, try one out, research how it works and if it can do what you want. When you find one that suits your personal criteria that you can afford, ignore the fanbois and BUY ONE.

I just find the Android fits my needs better. Most people here in the office found that iPhones fit their needs better.

Choice is as cool as fezzes.

Last edited:

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
this is directed to the "it doesn't fit in my pocket" comments...

Are you wearing tight jeans? Honestly I have no had an issues with the phone in my pocket, even with tailored suits.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
this is directed to the "it doesn't fit in my pocket" comments...

Are you wearing tight jeans? Honestly I have no had an issues with the phone in my pocket, even with tailored suits.

... and if the weight of your smartphone is pulling your shorts down, I respectfully submit that better-quality clothing is a whole HELL of a lot cheaper than a different smartphone. :D :D :D