Let Google know about signal issues here

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I personally feel that returning to fix the issue is the wrong thing to do. The issue is strictly software, and drivers. The phone just came out not that long ago, and you can't expect perfection on any devices. Heck the EVO on launch suffered these issues and more for over a month.

Please remember guys this device was released May 8th, it has not been out very long at all. So the word is "patience"! Stop assuming it's hardware fault, things like these usually are not. Only because these parts are tested before they ever get into the device.

I disagree as well. All these "initial problems" across all carriers scream "we didn't fully test anything, let's use our userbase as the beta testers" to me. I don't want to have a phone that has basic functionality sketchy. Signal issues is a HUGE problem for a phone.

And coming from a Palm Pre (and I'm sure Samsung owners have a similar feeling) promises of software fixes mean very little to me until I see it actually being used. Now, this is a Google phone, so one would HOPE google would get their flagship phone fixed asap. But telling a customer to suck it up and wait for a software patch? I think returning it is the exact right thing to do to get your voice heard.

Reactions: fixxxer1022

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
as ive said 1000x as a developer i know it's a radio issue. the phone should be set at "cdma auto prl" not unknown or wcdma as it currently is. this needs to be addressed.

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
a radio test for all users

Download the app called network on the market. Scroll down and you will clearly see our phones are running on the gsm band called wcdma. It switches between this and unknown frequently. This is the source of the bad battery life. Your phone is searching for a signal constantly. The network settings should be at cdma auto prl for sprint. There is no way to change the current band either. This leads me to believe this is a radio issue. This needs to be brought up to sprint, google and samsung.

Either a OTA radio will fix it or this is a hardware malfunction.

oxeneers

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
This has been noted numerous times. Sprint and Google are aware, don't worry. Just wait for the OTA, not much else you can do.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Download the app called network on the market. Scroll down and you will clearly see our phones are running on the gsm band called wcdma. It switches between this and unknown frequently. This is the source of the bad battery life. Your phone is searching for a signal constantly. The network settings should be at cdma auto prl for sprint. There is no way to change the current band either. This leads me to believe this is a radio issue. This needs to be brought up to sprint, google and samsung.

Either a OTA radio will fix it or this is a hardware malfunction.

wouldn't this just make the phone not work if it's looking for the wrong band instead of being sporadically sketchy?

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Has there been any indication of when a fix for this might go live?
I'm not having too bad of issues it but it sucks when I go to use the phone heavily and the connection blows.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly Sprint is already looking into this from their tweets, and I do have to say that I myself was a first Evo buyer as well and it took them about a month and a half to address these type of issues. And people can say that the nexus was a first of its kind and I have to say that it is, first CDMA Nexus so their will be hiccups at launch and if you're so worried about it I would simply return it. But come the OTA fix, you'll miss it.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly Sprint is already looking into this from their tweets, and I do have to say that I myself was a first Evo buyer as well and it took them about a month and a half to address these type of issues. And people can say that the nexus was a first of its kind and I have to say that it is, first CDMA Nexus so their will be hiccups at launch and if you're so worried about it I would simply return it. But come the OTA fix, you'll miss it.

If I return it and a fix comes out soon after I will either get it again or just wait for the next big thing. I am cool with bugs on a new phone launch but I would expect the phone to at least be able to make calls! I went through this with the palm pre and with all its faults and there were many at launch it was always able to make and receive calls. I am not so sure the fix will come sooner rather than later because Samsung is involved. If this were a Google issue I would expect the fix soon but it is my understanding that Samsung is responsible for the hardware drivers and it looks like the drivers or the hardware its self is to blame. This is a pretty cool device and if it could be used as a phone it would be great! I wonder if everyone started returning their phones in the next few days how long would it take for the fix to come? Would Sprint feel it?s a real issue then? We could all just buy it again after the fix, if it comes.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If I return it and a fix comes out soon after I will either get it again or just wait for the next big thing. I am cool with bugs on a new phone launch but I would expect the phone to at least be able to make calls! I went through this with the palm pre and with all its faults and there were many at launch it was always able to make and receive calls. I am not so sure the fix will come sooner rather than later because Samsung is involved. If this were a Google issue I would expect the fix soon but it is my understanding that Samsung is responsible for the hardware drivers and it looks like the drivers or the hardware its self is to blame. This is a pretty cool device and if it could be used as a phone it would be great! I wonder if everyone started returning their phones in the next few days how long would it take for the fix to come? Would Sprint feel it’s a real issue then? We could all just buy it again after the fix, if it comes.

Agree 100%.

I am mostly a hospital based ICU physician, for me being in touch with my phone is not a luxury but a critical necessity. I really like this phone, but I have reactivated my Evo do to the spotty reception; am still hanging on to the Nexus waiting for a fix. But come the end of the trial period, if no fix, I will return the phone and get my $549 back, plan to pick the phone again when a fix is put in place just as I did with the Epic before.

Being an early adopter for years has taught me to expect bugs on all new devices, it has also taught me not to hang on to it past the trial period on vain hopes that a fix to a critical issue will be forthcoming at some point in the future. If and when the device gets fix, I can always buy back if still interested and so should anyone else affected.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You guys are not able to make calls? I noticed a signal issues like, itll go away or be gray instead of green, but I am still able to make calls or log on the web, even though its gray... but I have never tried to make a call and got something that stopped me.... weird.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Calls drop. Phone has no signal and I miss a call but don’t know until voice mail shows up. Texts fail to send. Everything you would expect form a phone with a bad signal only other sprint phones including my old palm pre have good to great signal! I live only ? mile for a sprint tower and I get 2 to 3 bars at home. I have never missed or dropped a call at home. At work I am lucky if I can get any 3g signal at all yet others will have 2 to 4 bars. I am not the only one. Everyone I know with this phone has the same issue. If you’re not getting dropped calls or missed calls you will as soon as you go to an area with marginal to good signal.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
You guys are not able to make calls? I noticed a signal issues like, itll go away or be gray instead of green, but I am still able to make calls or log on the web, even though its gray... but I have never tried to make a call and got something that stopped me.... weird.

same here. my only issues (big ones) are zero to weak 4G and no secure wifi connectivity.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes! Calls drop. Phone has no signal and I miss a call but don’t know until voice mail shows up. Texts fail to send...

That is exactly my issue, and it happens randomly on areas where other Sprint phones have excelent signal at the same time and can connect without a problem. This is not a network problem, is a phone problem. It usually lasts for less than a minute at a time and then clears up just to reccur just as randomly.

If I had signal even with the indicators on gray I would not be complaining and would sit back and wait for a fix of a problem that is purely cosmetic, but is not, it goes to the core functionality of the device.

Hope this clarifies what some of us are experiencing.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly my issue, and it happens randomly on areas where other Sprint phones have excelent signal at the same time and can connect without a problem. This is not a network problem, is a phone problem. It usually lasts for less than a minute at a time and then clears up just to reccur just as randomly.

If I had signal even with the indicators on gray I would not be complaining and would sit back and wait for a fix of a problem that is purely cosmetic, but is not, it goes to the core functionality of the device.

Hope this clarifies what some of us are experiencing.

Wow that's pretty bad I don't get that, then I would deff take it back and get a new one and if u have already then I would trade for an Evo on Craigslist plus $150 and rooted and add cyanogen. I know that might be crazy but sorry guys my issues are not that extreme as yours. I would deff update my prl and profile at least 2x back to back.

Sir Digby

May 18, 2011
Visit site
No secure WiFi? It doesn't support WPA2? I thought someone posted a tech note from Sprint that said the Nexus S only supports WPA2. Is the problem that there are people out there who have their wireless routers configured to use WPA-TKIP or WEP? Both of those obsolete protocols are broken and no one should be using them. Throw away any old equipment which doesn't support WPA2.

Last edited:

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

i get frequent dropped calls and very slow data speeds. that's why we are hoping for a fix shortly. that's one of the reasons we chose to get a nexus, quick fixes and updates before anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wisak2556