Let's get an app list going...

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Just want to comment on a couple apps I've discovered since I got the new phone.

1. Volume+: Totally fixes the quiet speaker issues.
2. IMO: I used to use eBuddy and Trillian. Saw a couple articles about this IM client. It's freaking fantastic. Best IM client I've ever used.
3: Lightflow: I think everyone has heard about this one by now, but it's sweet. Control your LED notifications.

mattywalnuts

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
many of my favorites have already been listed...here are the ones that i use the most

Shiprack - for the habitual package tracker, just email or forward your tracking numbers to the app and it tracks all of your packages at once, you can set notifications at any step

Beyond Pro - best podcast app IMO

Siriusxm - app needs improvement, but as a subscriber i use 100x more than any other music app

FiOS DVR Manager - if you are a FiOS customer

Runkeeper - workout gps tracker and more

Astro File Manager

Dropbox - been using more than ever with the Nexus

Finance apps - for your credit/bank accts

Open Table - a must for big city living

Our Groceries - sync shopping list on multiple devices, great with the wife

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Looking for an app that groups sms messages...

If I have an sms message with 2 or more people how can I keep them in the same thread? Now it shows up as an mms with everyone participant in a different convo. I cannot respond to all and there are times I am not even sure if its a group text or a single text. It used to automatically group on my blackberry

Maybe not what you're looking for but, but maybe you can do an mms without a picture. You will be able to have unlimited characters and group the message. (haven't tried it though)

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Question....

My DroidX had Swipe bult into the phone, however, I'm not sure if "Swipe" is an Operating System utility or an "Application"... that is downloadable ...? My question is.... all of the videos that I've seen show the GNex using "tap" style texting, does anyone know if swipe will be available on the GNex device...?

Swype is not "officially" available for the Galaxy Nexus, there is a working version on Various Android forums, but you have to look for it...try DroidLife.com

bophead

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
XDA developers have a working version of Skype. Works great

[Video] Swype Working On Galaxy Nexus Thanks To XDA | TalkAndroid.com

Last edited:
B

budmonster

I downloaded volume + but i have no idea how to use it. Can it be used to make notifications and ringtones louder? If so could someone please explain? Im missing a ton of texts, calls, etc. Oh and can this eventually be fixed with an update from google or vzw or is this a hardware limitation?

flashkillpro

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you've had some previous Android app experience - or you've been checking out the Market online - what are a few of the apps you're going to slap on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus when you get it? Maybe you won't know until you've had some time to experience ICS, but from what I've seen I'm pretty sure I will still be grabbing these apps:

1) Touchdown - for syncing to Exchange email.

2) The new browser looks pretty cool, but from what I've seen, I still think Dolphin browser is going to be more polished and feature rich.

3) Go SMS Pro - Same as above. At the same time, I'm hoping that ICS's SMS app is good enough. I have concerns about Go transmitting all my data to a China server based on a discussion I recently had with one of our better known experts here (nuff said).

4) Sonos - if you have a Sonos player, you will understand that one of the most awesome HiFi systems in the world is controlled by an equally awesome app.

5) One of the several apps that display a callers city and state for inbound phone calls.

6) The second this phone is rooted - the first app to go on the Galaxy Nexus will be AdFree.

7) B-Secure Folders - totally dope password storage app that syncs seamlessly with any computer you've configured it to do so.

8) I'm still thinking I will use Launcher Pro over the stock launcher. I should probably branch out and try some other launchers as well. I also like to hide apps I will never use, like Google Books, Latitude, and other Google apps I find more suitable replacements for in the Market.

number 5 is already included in ICS !

ps: I'm the first on page 10 !!!

b3amos

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with some of the native apps to give them a fair chance, but some of my must haves that I immediately loaded are:
My Tracks
Compass
Evernote
Pulse
Amazon Kindle
Stock Quote
MyWeather
Netflix
TwoTouch Timer
Recordoid
Gesture Search
Dropbox
Speed Test
Last Pass (paid ver)
handyCalc
aCurrency (free ver)
World Clock (paid ver)
Google Wallet
Tripit (free ver)

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Do not forget Llama from the app store. Great app that can detect and trigger events based on the cell tower your phone is locked to. It can auto-magically turn on/off WiFi and nearly any other setting in Android.
Thanks for the suggesting the 'Llama'! I have been looking for just this, it is nice that it uses the cell tower for location.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am also using the native apps for now, gmail app, email app (for Exchange)
Twiiter
Facebook
Evernote:)
1Password:)
aCar:)
Spotify:D
Astro:)
Dropbox:)
CamScanner:)
Google Voice
Mousewait
Camera Zoom FX
GroupMe
Pulse
CallTrack:)
Documents to Go
Any.Do:)
SwiftKey X:D
Amazon App Store
Amazon PriceCheck
Starbucks

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
can anyone recommend me an app that act like tmobile myfaves? I was told about circle launcher but I don't like the widget to much, it doesn't line up with the icons on the gnex.

also, can someone tell me if I can edit/tweak the settings of a widget once it is on my desktop/home screen?

thanks

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
can anyone recommend me an app that act like tmobile myfaves? I was told about circle launcher but I don't like the widget to much, it doesn't line up with the icons on the gnex.

also, can someone tell me if I can edit/tweak the settings of a widget once it is on my desktop/home screen?

thanks

You can try desktop visualizer. You can make your own widget. Basically makes your own contact widget. Not free however but once you learn to use it I tgink its worth the price. It's an add on called DVR image crop.

Sent from my HTC PH39100

Jumper_jax

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Some of my must have apps (not including games, whole different list haha)..

Netflix
Pocket casts
Pandora
Dropbox
Friendcaster
Tweetcaster
Feedr
Good morning
Battery status
Tapatalk
I was using beautiful widgets but I read about battery draining so I'm trying HD widgets to see if it helps battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm a boring adult working-man. I've been using smartphones since Kyocera's Palm units. Before then I used Palm units in various formats since 1993. My last phone was the HTC Incredible. My app list on this phone is almost entirely for functional use. Except for geocaching & skydroid for golf, I keep all games off my phone.

1)Elecont Weather widget
2)Elixir
3)Convertr
4)ASTRO
5)Ulysse Gizmo
6)Key Ring
7)Wifi File Explorer
8)Epocrates
9)Volume+
10)Amazon Appstore
11)Calendar Pad
12)Callpod Keeper