LG G Flex: Battery life thread

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
As most of you are aware the flex is known for its great battery. Just wanted to have a thread covering any battery questions or issues. Mine seems to have gotten even better over the past week. This is from today so far.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394579397241.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394579397241.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by a moderator:

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery life thread

Updated for the end of the day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394592970617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394592970617.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 131

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Unbelievable! My phone was on over 4 hours and still had 100% I only checked it periodically during the 4 hours so no real screen time used but it was still pretty amazing.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394927388370.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394927388370.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 122

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Man it's LG lol I don't know what they're doing but it's impressive for sure

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

GetRooted

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why oh why did I buy a Samsung phone? I'll seriously consider an LG next time I buy a new phone.

Sent from my Slimkat Galaxy Note GT-N7000

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have to say, out of all the phones I've used the Flex had given me the best battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Man it's LG lol I don't know what they're doing but it's impressive for sure

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

The reason the Flex is so good with battery is the Flex's OLED screen. Screens are the number #1 battery drain on cell phones. LED require backlighting and OLED doesn't. OLEDs are solid-state devices composed of thin films of organic molecules that create light with the application of electricity. OLEDs can provide brighter, crisper displays on electronic devices and use less power than conventional light-emitting diodes (LEDs) or liquid crystal displays (LCDs) used today.

OLED Advantages and Disadvantages

The LCD is currently the display of choice in small devices and is also popular in large-screen TVs. Regular LEDs often form the digits on digital clocks and other electronic devices. OLEDs offer many advantages over both LCDs and LEDs:

The plastic, organic layers of an OLED are thinner, lighter and more flexible than the crystalline layers in an LED or LCD.
Because the light-emitting layers of an OLED are lighter, the substrate of an OLED can be flexible instead of rigid. OLED substrates can be plastic rather than the glass used for LEDs and LCDs.
OLEDs are brighter than LEDs. Because the organic layers of an OLED are much thinner than the corresponding inorganic crystal layers of an LED, the conductive and emissive layers of an OLED can be multi-layered. Also, LEDs and LCDs require glass for support, and glass absorbs some light. OLEDs do not require glass.
OLEDs do not require backlighting like LCDs (see How LCDs Work). LCDs work by selectively blocking areas of the backlight to make the images that you see, while OLEDs generate light themselves. Because OLEDs do not require backlighting, they consume much less power than LCDs (most of the LCD power goes to the backlighting). This is especially important for battery-operated devices such as cell phones.
OLEDs are easier to produce and can be made to larger sizes. Because OLEDs are essentially plastics, they can be made into large, thin sheets. It is much more difficult to grow and lay down so many liquid crystals.
OLEDs have large fields of view, about 170 degrees. Because LCDs work by blocking light, they have an inherent viewing obstacle from certain angles. OLEDs produce their own light, so they have a much wider viewing range.

Problems with OLED

OLED seems to be the perfect technology for all types of displays, but it also has some problems:

Lifetime - While red and green OLED films have longer lifetimes (46,000 to 230,000 hours), blue organics currently have much shorter lifetimes (up to around 14,000 hours[source: OLED-Info.com]).
Manufacturing - Manufacturing processes are expensive right now.
Water - Water can easily damage OLEDs.

HowStuffWorks "OLED Advantages and Disadvantages"

yasirrfc

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, ive had the flex for about 3 weeks and it has worked perfectly. but since last day ive been getting a charging issue. usually, it takes 2 hours to charge completely but yesterday in 1 hour, it went from 15 to 19% but i was running bittorrent as well so i thought it was because of that and i removed the charger and put it on charge again this morning. after 2.5 hours, it went from 4% to 28%. bittorrent isnt running nor any other app and wifi is also off. so what would be the problem? and im using the original lg charger that came with the phone. i have tried with 3 different usb cables and 2 different charger plugs and 3 different sockets and even with my laptop. when charger is connected, it says 9 hours left to full charging. pls help

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, ive had the flex for about 3 weeks and it has worked perfectly. but since last day ive been getting a charging issue. usually, it takes 2 hours to charge completely but yesterday in 1 hour, it went from 15 to 19% but i was running bittorrent as well so i thought it was because of that and i removed the charger and put it on charge again this morning. after 2.5 hours, it went from 4% to 28%. bittorrent isnt running nor any other app and wifi is also off. so what would be the problem? and im using the original lg charger that came with the phone. i have tried with 3 different usb cables and 2 different charger plugs and 3 different sockets and even with my laptop. when charger is connected, it says 9 hours left to full charging. pls help

Have you completelt restarted the phone? For some reason, possibly heat related after torrenting, the phone is in a safe mode and only taking power in at or below the USB standard....from a similar issue with the Nexus 7 2013 I would say about 420-460mA....about 1/4 what the adapter can supply. Does your LG adapter even pretend to get slightly warm? Because if the adapter is still getting hot then you have some other problem inside the phone.

yasirrfc

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you completelt restarted the phone? For some reason, possibly heat related after torrenting, the phone is in a safe mode and only taking power in at or below the USB standard....from a similar issue with the Nexus 7 2013 I would say about 420-460mA....about 1/4 what the adapter can supply. Does your LG adapter even pretend to get slightly warm? Because if the adapter is still getting hot then you have some other problem inside the phone.
actually the problem solved on its own. i restarted it and same problem but then I uninstalled bittorrent and deleted 8 gigs of data that I downloded using torrent and then after a while it charged normally and has been charging normally since then.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
actually the problem solved on its own. i restarted it and same problem but then I uninstalled bittorrent and deleted 8 gigs of data that I downloded using torrent and then after a while it charged normally and has been charging normally since then.

Will keep an eye on this then, as I occasionally use tTorrent apk on my devices.

recjus85

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Flex for a couple days now, and with 47 hours on my battery, I am at 57%. That was like 12 hours on my S3! I'm loving it! And that's with average browsing, and listening to music a lot!

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
....I am a fool. I was nearly seventeen hours into a terrible rampage of catching up on ebooks, and I failed to grab a screenshot before it powered down. Grey on black is definitely the best battery life for reading...

kady21

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I just got this phone yesterday and it seems to run down faster than my note 3. What could be running to drain it fast? I close all apps pretty frequently and all I have downloaded is just the normal apps like histogram and snapshot and eBay and etsy, just normal apps. Every time I look up at my battery percentage it has gone down like 2-3 numbers. Anyone know what I can change on settings or anything to help it stay up longer

Rmills80

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I was reading all great stuff about the flex's battery life when the phone was new. I also seen the same it was great but 7 months in and I am lucky to get a half a day out of it and I'm hardly running any apps heck one night I went to bed with it at 40% and thought it would fine tell I woke up in 8 hours or less like I use to. Wrong dead when I woke up.
So there's a question are you all see this as the battery in this is not as easy to change as normal phone if at all I am sure it's possible but really I have only had this 7 months and have treated it well so

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky