LG G Pad 8.3 Hands-On

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Have an extra 120GB SSD hard drive laying around, so I decided to format it and see if this little tablet had enough power at the micro usb port to run it, as well if it would recognize it. Handled both with no problems. Now I have another portable storage option. Anyone notice that this tablet has auto backup software?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 4

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Guys, if you haven't already, I would recommend putting some inquiries into a few accessories manufacturers to see if they are going to support this tablet. Unless they get some interest, they won't support. Really don't understand why the support is so weak for this. In any case, I have placed an inquiry to one of my favorites, SGP. Have a few of their cases for my S4 and Galaxy Tab 7.7. Love their products. Anyway, dropped a inquiry there as well as some others for screen protectors as well, iLoome, Mime, Khomo Cases.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It's only been out a little over a week. Accessories will come. There are already several cases and screen projectors on eBay and Amazon.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Broke down and finally bought this tablet at my local BB last night. Charged it to 100% before starting it up (came at 50%). Loving it so far. Rooted it right away. Since I'm not a big eye candy person I always turn off animations in developer options. This always makes my Android devices snappier. You can also increase your battery by making sure your WiFi stays on only when plugged in or the screen is on.

The display on this thing is amazing. The sample videos they provide are stunning and really show off how good the display is.

The size is also terrific. It is not much larger then my 2012 Nexus 7, so it is very easy to use one-handed. Much easier than the Note 8. It is very light. My only nit-pick is where the headphone jack is located. It gets in the way if you hold it in landscape mode, as it will be in the lower left where your hand goes. But you can always flip the tablet around, so it's not that big of a deal. Just be careful when you do as you will then have the power button on the bottom right. I accidentally turned the screen off a few times watching youtube videos one-handed. I just have to get used to it.

I ordered a screen protector and book-style cover for it from Amazon.

For those that own this device, I was wondering if I should get the Sandisk Extreme Micro SDXC card or if the regular Micro SD cards have worked fine for you all? There can be a signficant price difference.

oesjmr

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
For those that own this device, I was wondering if I should get the Sandisk Extreme Micro SDXC card or if the regular Micro SD cards have worked fine for you all? There can be a signficant price difference.

I bought a $20 32GB Microcenter branded class 10 MicroSD card for my G Pad and it works flawlessly. I have been using an identical card in my EVO for the past year with no issues.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought a $20 32GB Microcenter branded class 10 MicroSD card for my G Pad and it works flawlessly. I have been using an identical card in my EVO for the past year with no issues.

It largely seems like its the Samsung devices that have the issues. The few other mSD card accepting devices seem to be mostly fine.

Note 8.0

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I still do not think this is officially released everywhere yet which might be part of the accessory issue. I have been looking on Amazon for weeks and while there are screen protectors and what not you cannot buy the actual tablet...

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
And now it's gone.. Weird. Maybe it's heat related? I've been using it for the past hour and there was the faint blue line on the right side of the screen.

I have this issue as well on mine after using the table for 30 minutes or more I see the one pixel wide blue line down the right side of the screen it is really only noticeable with mostly black images if you put the tablet to sleep for a while the blue line goes away. I have only had my tablet for 2 days I am taking it back today to Best Buy for a replacement. I will let you all know if i see it on the new one. Other than that issue I really am loving this tablet.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue as well on mine after using the table for 30 minutes or more I see the one pixel wide blue line down the right side of the screen it is really only noticeable with mostly black images if you put the tablet to sleep for a while the blue line goes away. I have only had my tablet for 2 days I am taking it back today to Best Buy for a replacement. I will let you all know if i see it on the new one. Other than that issue I really am loving this tablet.

Glad it's not just me. I don't even notice it at all, even on black backgrounds most of the time. It's such a minor issue that I'm just gonna deal with it. I ordered from Best Buy online and really don't feel like exchanging it.

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I actually noticed this on mine. It's most obvious when I close all tabs in chrome and have just the black screen (with the "+ new tab" button at the top). I don't think it's heat related b/c I think I can see it every time I view the black screen in chrome. I assumed it had something to do with the aspect ratio of the screen. I'm thinking certain apps just don't fill the entire screen area so that (very thin) line on the right is just space that is unused by the app.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Guys, if you haven't already, I would recommend putting some inquiries into a few accessories manufacturers to see if they are going to support this tablet. Unless they get some interest, they won't support. Really don't understand why the support is so weak for this. In any case, I have placed an inquiry to one of my favorites, SGP. Have a few of their cases for my S4 and Galaxy Tab 7.7. Love their products. Anyway, dropped a inquiry there as well as some others for screen protectors as well, iLoome, Mime, Khomo Cases.

This just popped up on Amazon, but will not be released until the 20th. i might get it since it has positive reviews for other tablets in te marketplace.
Amazon.com: Evecase SlimBook Leather Folio Stand Case Cover for LG G Pad 8.3 - 8.3 inch Android Tablet ( Black): Electronics

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Glad it's not just me. I don't even notice it at all, even on black backgrounds most of the time. It's such a minor issue that I'm just gonna deal with it. I ordered from Best Buy online and really don't feel like exchanging it.

I actually noticed this on mine. It's most obvious when I close all tabs in chrome and have just the black screen (with the "+ new tab" button at the top). I don't think it's heat related b/c I think I can see it every time I view the black screen in chrome. I assumed it had something to do with the aspect ratio of the screen. I'm thinking certain apps just don't fill the entire screen area so that (very thin) line on the right is just space that is unused by the app.

I cant see this on mine on any side. I'll wait til I've had more screen time and report back.

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I was on the fence as well about taking it back but now that I know it is there it will bug me. I have read a few other post where other people have the blue line issue so it will definitely be something to keep an eye on. I am taking mine back tonight and will post an update tomorrow.

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The blue line issue on mine definitely come and goes I know when it happens on mine because I can see it when I pull down the notification menu from the top and that turns the screen greyish black the blue line only shows up there after extended use of 20 minutes or more. I am not saying it is heat related but mine is not always there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d