LG G Pad 8.3 Hands-On

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Running quicker isn't really what I'm after as much as optimizing the battery. I have no doubts the S600 is sufficient for my needs in a tab. Would just hate to have the S800 show up right after getting this one. But, it is LG so maybe I shouldn't even be concerned, LOL. I've always had a better tablet than phone...until now. Just seems weird to go backwards in processor with a new device.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

LG claimed that they used the S600 because the S800 was causing to much heat with the metal backing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Signed up to post that I have ordered this tablet. Was interested in it from the moment it was revealed and the positive reviews from you guys convinced me to go ahead with it

I was initially going to go for the N7 BUT I won an iPad Mini at work, using that convinced me that the N7 was going to be too small and keeping the iPad Mini was not an option so this was the best choice

I ordered this from Asda Direct, managed to get it for ?229, will arrive on Wednesday. If any UK based people are interested in buying this then that is the best place to get it at this moment , it was ?249 BUT ordering before 12th November gave a ?20 discount

Looking forward to your thoughts on it!

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Just received mine, lovely device but it has one huge problem that the G2 suffers with.

RANDOM REBOOTS WHEN UNLOCKING.

Factory reset the device and every so often when you unlock it... it'll crash and reboot. Mine just did it 3x in a row.

Such a shame LG ruined this device with plagued software :(

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any random reboots. Probably you have a defective unit...

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Had the exact same issue with 2 LG G2's... My nexus 5 and 4 were rock solid but i'm starting to think LG just can't do the software side of it right :-/

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any random reboots. Probably you have a defective unit...

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

I agree I have had my GPad for almost 2 weeks and have not had a single reboot or any kind of software glitch so saying the device has a big problem is false maybe yours does and you just need to take it back for a new one.

crunchie-uk

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Just received mine this morning!

Rooted easily within minutes :)

Tested six axis with a ps3 controller. Paired straight away and connected via bluetooth no problems. Works fine in snes emu!

Also installed GMD gesture control as I don't like android nav soft- buttons.
Had to manually detect touchscreen device ( it crashes before you do this)

Goto advanced> turn. On override multitouch device detection. Choose Touch_mxt1188s

Then override touch events parser detection and choose ICS_default

Now I can get proper full screen without nav bars and use gestures to do home/back etc :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I picked one of these up on Saturday and I'm so so impressed. Build quality that approaches Apple and a great screen with really fast performance. ...and its Black. ...and that Black is beautiful. I just really wish there were more accessories for it.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Battery time doesn't come anywhere near what reviews say. Either my battery is defective or I'm doing something wrong and I'm experienced with tablets and power saving. But if I get five or six hours I'm lucky. Also the top third of the tab gets warm to hot if I watch a streaming hour movie.

RAHIEM69D

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is definitely not an issue with mine. Screen brightness at 56 percent, movies, gaming surfing and I can easily get through the day with about 67 battery life left. Also, this thing has great standby life. Last night I was at 87 percent, woke up 7 hours later, and it was still at 87 percent! Give it a few days and see if your battery life improves. Sometimes, it seems like the batteries have to "adjust" themselves lol

RAHIEM69D

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
+1

Never had a random reboot. Exchange yours

Same here, not one reboot. Come to think of it, this is honestly the most issue-free Android tablet that I have ever owned! My recently-owned Galaxy Note 8 used to freeze up sometime when running multiple apps, causing me to have to reboot the device. However, this tablet runs everything that I through at it with ease.

AmicusBrief

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Battery time doesn't come anywhere near what reviews say. Either my battery is defective or I'm doing something wrong and I'm experienced with tablets and power saving. But if I get five or six hours I'm lucky. Also the top third of the tab gets warm to hot if I watch a streaming hour movie.

I'm getting poor battery life too. At 50% brightness I'm losing 1% charge every 3-4 minutes.

steveb_12

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I get about the same hours on the battery as you. I don't think the battery is defective, the display is just eating up the battery life. I would rather keep my brightness up and charge it when not in use than lower the brightness level, unless I know I'm not gonna charge it for a while. Mine also gets hot at the top.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So a number of us have questionable battery life. How then can others on here and in reviews claim great battery life? Something's off. Either a bunch were produced with bad batteries in which case LG has a responsibility to rectify or the great battery claims are exaggerated. How to prove? I can actually watch the percentage dropping. Its my only negative about this tablet, getting 5 or 6 hours tops before charge.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So a number of us have questionable battery life. How then can others on here and in reviews claim great battery life? Something's off. Either a bunch were produced with bad batteries in which case LG has a responsibility to rectify or the great battery claims are exaggerated. How to prove? I can actually watch the percentage dropping. Its my only negative about this tablet, getting 5 or 6 hours tops before charge.

Or "C" everyone has a different subjective definition of "great battery life."

A person running the device with screen at full brightness, running demanding apps, BT on and running a long way from a wifi source will see significantly shorter batt life than someone running at 50% brightness browsing casually through the net while sitting right next to a wifi source.

If you're really concerned, most websites that benchmark that kind of thing usually explain how they set up the device (looping such and such a video with wifi off and screen at 50% brightness, etc.) Mimic their test and see what you get.

-Suntan

venture996

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what your measurement is for battery life. Are you getting six hours with the display on? That seems like a lot of time to me, but I've never actually measured. I do know that I'm getting two to three days of use. And I used the tablet for maybe five hours a day, but not continuously (plenty of display off time)..

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
one issue with this tablet is that the screen is dark so you need to keep the brightness higher than on a lot of comparable tablets (N7 2013 for example). That maybe drains the battery faster.

steveb_12

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually on my 2nd G Pad because the first was having the problem with the blue line that would appear after extended use. I'm still getting about the same battery life in this one compared to the another. I think people that are getting good battery life have their brightness turned way down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796