LG G3 problem: dark spot in the left down corner of screen when set on maximum brighteness

deiu9999

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys/girls,

I bought my new LG G3 2 months ago but like a week ago someting strange happened.. While I was using the phone outside, suddently, in the bottom left corner of the screen it appeared a dark spot... Just like that.. I didn`t drop it or something, it just happened.

What happened was that the lightning pure and simple turned off in that portion. So, it is not a screen problem but the lightning.

2 days passed and the phone was fine but then it happened again and I`ve noticed that this problem occurs only when the brighteness is at maximum. However, this is not a rule.. I mean, it happens when the brighteness is at maximum but not always.. Anyway, in most of the cases it does.

Another detail would be that while being dimmed, at times it turns to normal and then dim again and this happens fast.

If the brightness is not at maximum however there is no problem.

What might be the issue? Anyone encountered it? It may be a software problem?

If you need more informations please let me know.

I attach 2 photos. The spot may not be so noticeable in the pictures but it`s there.

Attachments

• 20160418_230402.jpg
    20160418_230402.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160418_230443.jpg
    20160418_230443.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It sounds like it may be a screen defect. Did you buy it brand new, or used/refurbished? Is it under warranty?

deiu9999

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!
I bought it brand new and yes, it is still under warranty. Anyway, if the brighteness is not at maximum (even at 90% or more) it works just fine which is strange.

If it proves to be the screen, I will send it to warranty but I want to be sure..

I may add that a few days before the first time this issue appeared, I dropped my phone from like 1,8 meters.. but it didn't seem to be affected, the case did its job. Maybe that caused some connectors to be weakened?

To be sure, I will have to change the rom and see if this problem persists.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it already rooted? If not, you may want to check with LG first to make sure rooting doesn't void the warranty.

deiu9999

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Is it already rooted? If not, you may want to check with LG first to make sure rooting doesn't void the warranty.

No it is not rooted.. But yep, rooting means no more warranty. But still I can root it and instal a custom rom and then I can revert things back to original.
But what puzzles me is this: Why is it that the problem only occcurs when the brighteness in on maximum and if it is not, there is absolutely no problem.. I hoped that maybe at least one person had or have the same problem but it seems like I`m the only guy. :)

deiu9999

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I think I found the problem and solution.. I realised that the problem occur when the brighteness is set on maximum AND the phone is a little bit heated up. If the phone is not heated, I coud set the brigthness on maximum and no problem..

I remember I went to the phone's secret menu like several days ago, before the problem first occured, and I do not remember of changing something but today I checked and "Thermal daemon mitigation" was OFF.

What this does is that it restricts the maximum brighteness depending on your phone's heating level.

So, today I've set this back on ON, the "Maximum temperature property" is also ON.

Once I did this, there is no problem anymore, it won't let me go on maximum brighteness if the phone is heated up.

Another thing I suspect.. I think I had this screen thing off but "Maximum temperature property" which is lowering power use in general was ON and the problem was that when the phone got hot, the power usage got low and of course, setting screen on maximum brighteness might have been too much for the restricted power mode.

I tried with both these options OFF and it also works with no problems but it's bad for the phone. So I'll keep them both on ON and see how it goea.. Until now it's ok.

Sorry for the long response, and sorry for my lack of comprehensive explanations. :)