LG G3 What phone did you come from?

brucesmays

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: What phone did you come from?

Had a Samsung Note 2 which i really liked. Decided to try something different on my upgrade. Verizon had them 1/2 price, so only $100. Really liking the LG G3. Will use it a few months until the Note 4's come out. If they arent a huge improvement, then will stay with the G3.

Started with HTC Evo, then Evo 3d, then Samsung Galaxy S3, then Note 2, now the G3

ngerber999

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I had the Galaxy S4, which I loved until KitKat made it impossible to use on my dashboard for navigation for more than 15 minutes.

So far I am loving the G3. I only have two problems with the phone so far. The first being that the stock LG keyboard has a bad habit of duplicatingduplicating words on me, but that was easily resolved by switching to the Google Keyboard instead. My other issue isn't really an issue so much as future work for LG. I switched to ART instead of Dalvik and had the phone lock up so bad that I had to pull the battery three times before switching back to Dalvik.

Sent from my LG G3 smartphone.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Came from an LG G2, used an Optimus G Pro before that. The OGP absolutely sold me on LG's Android build, enough to try the G2 anyway, which sold me on rear buttons. And trying a Galaxy S4 in between sold me on the fact that LG is the right brand for me. :D

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Came from the original droid razr maxx and this is a big improvement. Battery won't be the same but since it has a removable battery, this is good for me

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

Dr_Aner

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

coming from Blackberry Z30...i missed the battery life but it's worth it. :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

SkyG

May 29, 2010
Visit site

Coming from a Moto X. Wanted to wait till the new one but the G3 made a really compelling case for being my next device.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I had the Galaxy S4, which I loved until KitKat made it impossible to use on my dashboard for navigation for more than 15 minutes.

So far I am loving the G3. I only have two problems with the phone so far. The first being that the stock LG keyboard has a bad habit of duplicatingduplicating words on me, but that was easily resolved by switching to the Google Keyboard instead. My other issue isn't really an issue so much as future work for LG. I switched to ART instead of Dalvik and had the phone lock up so bad that I had to pull the battery three times before switching back to Dalvik.

ART is still in beta so of course you'll have some issues. Especially some carriers phone (T-Mobile & Verizon). I've read while running ART, their phones would lock up so battery pull is necessary. Give the LG keyboard time to learn your typing style. It'll become more predictable.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Both me and my wife came from a Galaxy S3.

The S3 served us well for the 2 years and it was time to upgrade.

ngerber999

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Yeah after the third battery pull I went back to Dalvik. I have the Verizon model.

rockets95

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Coming from a Moto X. Wanted to wait till the new one but the G3 made a really compelling case for being my next device.

Same story for me. Really loved my Moto X, but the price for the G3 was too good to pass up. Knock On is an amazing feature that I don't think I could live without moving forward.

I'm going to miss active display. Testing out AcDisplay, but it's definitely got some issues. The display is amazing and something that really lacked on my Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I came from the Note 3, which I loved until the kit Kat update. After constant battery and reception issues, even after 2 factory reset attempts, I decided to give the G3 a go. The Note 3 is definitely a heavier device, and the faux leather back provided great grip. The G3 fits better in my hand, but the Note 3 had a better feel to it.

G3 definitely takes better pictures and focuses faster, which is important to me since I take thousands of pictures with my phone. Also nice to get reception everywhere and great battery life again.

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

mched

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Came from the HTC Droid DNA which was /is a great phone in its own right.
Could not pass up the Best Buy deal so I got the Verizon G3 in white... Love it so far!!!

seangprice

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

I came from a Lumia 925, used for almost a year. I love the WP idea but my 925 started acting up quite a bit, I haven't used my Jump/Upgrade on T-Mobile since last year so I decided to give the G2 a try. I really love the physical feel and design but I do notice some lag, even with all the bloat disabled and a few Dev options on. Overall I'm enjoying the Android experience again, we'll see when 14 days are up.

yesshh

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the useful thread!

Currently deciding if I want to come over to the G3 from the Nexus 5 (or wait for Nexus 6).

Anyone have any comments about moving from stock android on Nexus 5 to G3?

Have owned several Blackberry's, T-Mobile (HTC) G2, Galaxy Note, HTC One (M7), now Nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

I used Microsoft ran devices for 12 years before switching to the LG G3 now. My last phone was a HTC 8X with Windows Phone 8, a beautiful device that had little issues. It also run the developer preview of 8.1 without any problems.

However the frustration of Microsoft's slow pace and the lack of high-end options made me look for other options. In the end my decision came down to the M8 or the G3, but the big screen with the small bezels and the better camera made me choose the G3.

I'm really amazed by this phone. It's beautiful, it offers so many functions, much better apps, and the battery is much better than the one of my 8X. And the 8X held up pretty well too. I also prefer widgets and icons over tiles, it's much more efficient and useful. I also thought about buying an iPhone 6 after I really enjoyed my iPad Air, but now I'm actually happy I did not.

There are two issues however: Washed out pictures in low light and a general lack of functionality of the photo app, this can be fixed easily, and the random shut-down issue that hopefully can get easily fixed. Apart from that I'm really amazed by this phone.

Just as a side-note: Today I should have received the LG G3 Quick Window Circle case, I'm really looking forward to test this out.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Went from DNA 5" screen to M7 4.7" screen, always regretted that move. Sold the DNA, so no going back....
Got to the point where the small screen and awful camera were too much to bear on the M7 and got a Note 3, wanted to go back to a large screen.
Note 3, best phone I ever had....but a tad too big and I always hated the "look". It looked like every other Samsung phone made, outdated and boring.
That being said everything else about the Note 3 is for the most part exceptional.
I got the G3 because I thought it would be more or less a lateral move with the exception of the size and the overall great design of the G3.

Comparing the two:
Camera - Very similar, both very good. G3 focuses a bit faster but the pic quality of the Note 3 a little better.
Screen - Negligible as far as overall real world use. G3 screen looks great until you compare it side by side to theN3. G3 screen looks "dull" whereas the Note 3 screen is more robust and brilliant. The pixel density of the G3 is not something that my eyes can really distinguish (did not buy it for this reason so not a big deal).
UI / Speed - The Note 3 is more fluid. But again not enough of an issue in real world use for me. I use Nova Launcher so cannot compare LG UI to Sammy UI....Nova works well on both. G3 does stutter every now then but not a deal breaker. Maybe the N3 makes better use of the 3GB of RAM then the G3, not sure.
Battery - Pleasantly surprised with the G3, for the most part keeps up with the Note 3 and the Note 3 is known for it's phenomenal battery, good job LG.
Speakers - Note 3 has bottom speakers, G3 rear. G3 is louder with more treble whereas the N3 has more bass but lacks volume.....the good news, not an issue for me. Never listen to music with external speakers or watch YouTube, play games, etc.
Headphone jack - Significant difference, G3 has a much fuller sound and is louder. G3 Sounds much better with ear buds and Aux plug in while driving than the N3.
Bluetooth Music - No issues with either but the G3 has more depth and bass and is louder than N3 while streaming in the car. Really enjoying this feature!
Knock feature - With the buttons on the back of the G3 it's basically a necessity, glad they came up with it. Having to push the N3 power button or volume rocker was never an issue.
Signal Strength - G3 always has 1 more bar than the N3.....but it does not mean that I ever had signal issues with the N3. So in real world, great to have an extra bar I guess but the lack of that extra bar did not diminish the real world phone use for me. Neither drop calls.
Data/Surfing speed - G3 hands down faster, maybe this is where that extra bar of signal comes in? Pages load faster, period.
Build/Size - One of the primary reasons I was so interested in the G3, wanted the screen space but was getting tired of the Note 3 size.
Love the build and "sexy" design of the G3, if Sammy had put a little more thought into the design of the N3 I probably would have never switched.

Conclusion
Happy with the switch, miss the fluidity of the N3 but it's not enough to overcome the size and design issues that were bugging me.
Fortunately I am not plagued with the some of the issues that have been mentioned (faulty headphone jack, overheating, reboots, etc.).
Both are great phones and in the end I could be very happy with either. Unfortunately for the N3, LG came out with a comparable phone in a better package (at least for me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurenceNichols