LG G6 Initial Impressions

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh - well there you go, that activates DND, and there should be a notification in the shade towards the bottom of the list (if you have other notifications). Tap that, then End time.
Aha! That's what I was looking for! I never bothered looking into that notification ! Thank you.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Update: I've identified the "rogue" notification sound. It's "crystal", from the built-in list. I still have no idea why I'm hearing it when emails come in, since the system default is "twinkle" and the Hub+ accounts are set to silent. And I made sure to Clear Data and Force Stop the LG email client, which I never set up anyway.

Another quirk: This one has been mentioned by others. The camera is quite slow to open/load. Once it's in RAM it's quick enough but that first time is very slow. It's not a big problem for me, but it's there.

One more quirk: Auto brightness is just too dim in dark/dim conditions. I don't need it super bright but I do need it brighter than what I'm getting, so I turn auto off when it gets dark.

On that subject, the OnePlus 5 that I unfortunately had to return had a feature that I liked. I don't remember what they called it but it changed the display as the evening progressed. Gradually it faded toward a muted, less saturated look, almost grayscale. The idea was to save wear and tear on the eyes and to improve sleep. I liked it.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Update: I've identified the "rogue" notification sound. It's "crystal", from the built-in list. I still have no idea why I'm hearing it when emails come in, since the system default is "twinkle" and the Hub+ accounts are set to silent. And I made sure to Clear Data and Force Stop the LG email client, which I never set up anyway.

Another quirk: This one has been mentioned by others. The camera is quite slow to open/load. Once it's in RAM it's quick enough but that first time is very slow. It's not a big problem for me, but it's there.

One more quirk: Auto brightness is just too dim in dark/dim conditions. I don't need it super bright but I do need it brighter than what I'm getting, so I turn auto off when it gets dark.

On that subject, the OnePlus 5 that I unfortunately had to return had a feature that I liked. I don't remember what they called it but it changed the display as the evening progressed. Gradually it faded toward a muted, less saturated look, almost grayscale. The idea was to save wear and tear on the eyes and to improve sleep. I liked it.

I have that odd crystal notification too.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried an auto brightness app? I use Lux; I can "train" it to display the brightness level I prefer, relative to the ambient light.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried an auto brightness app? I use Lux; I can "train" it to display the brightness level I prefer, relative to the ambient light.

I've used Lux in the past; maybe I'll try it again. It's annoying to need an app to do something the OS is supposed to do on its own, but yeah. I'll give it another look.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Do you get it for incoming emails, overriding whatever settings you've done yourself?

Actually yes, on Aquamail I'd left a couple accounts with default system and they're still sounding off with the original default, the crystal notification. The accounts with specific sounds don't have this quirk.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think that's proof enough that it's an OS bug, not a Hub+ bug.

Another bug: every so often the keyboard refuses to appear when I touch a text entry field. I don't know if this happens with the LG keyboard but it does happen with Gboard.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I've had that happen with Gboard as well, used to be a lot worse and I'd delete its app cache and reboot to fix it. Now it's just a brief pause the few times it happens, and I wonder if it's having an issue with system calls. If I merely change what's being displayed on screen and come right back it works fine.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Another bug: every so often the keyboard refuses to appear when I touch a text entry field. I don't know if this happens with the LG keyboard but it does happen with Gboard.

This happens to me on all devices with gboard from time to time. May be a different cause in reality, but I chalk it up as a gboard quirk.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This happens to me on all devices with gboard from time to time. May be a different cause in reality, but I chalk it up as a gboard quirk.

Interesting. I used Gboard for a year or so on the OnePlus One and never saw this before. On the subject of keyboards, yet another quirk I've noticed is the G6 occasionally resets the keyboard to the LG keyboard, for no apparent reason.

I am definitely getting the impression that there are enough bugs to warrant a maintenance update; I don't know how likely that is to happen.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I only use Aquamail for my Gmail accounts - the app I highly recommend for Outlook/Exchange is Nine email, syncs calendars, tasks, and contacts plus groups them in the Contacts app.

Just for fun, I ran Nine and Hub+ simultaneously for a day, with the same two accounts synced: an Outlook account and a GSuite. I compared battery power consumption and CPU usage. The result: Nine uses massively more power than Hub+, by a factor of about 5x.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I've narrowed it down a bit. It seems most likely to happen after unplugging the phone from my car's USB port.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just for fun, I ran Nine and Hub+ simultaneously for a day, with the same two accounts synced: an Outlook account and a GSuite. I compared battery power consumption and CPU usage. The result: Nine uses massively more power than Hub+, by a factor of about 5x.

It just occurred to me that this comparison was meaningless because I didn't add BlackBerry Hub Services to the mix. I only considered the Hub itself. So I'm going to do it again and look at the sum of Hub+ plus Hub Services versus Nine, which has its services completely integrated within itself.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And the winner is: Nine! BlackBerry Hub+ and its associated services used over twice as much juice in the course of a day. So I've switched.