LG Optimus S: 4.4 KitKat?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.4 KitKat?

I'm getting close. I don't have an Opti S so someone will need to be a guinea pig. Unfortunately, I'm building on my backup PC because an experiment is running on my main rig so this might take awhile to produce if I run into any hiccups.

Edit: Looks like the new Android Runtime (ART) has compiling problems on ARMv6. Trying some workarounds now.

If your still around here... Had any luck finding a work around?

Tapatalk'n it PAC-Rom style! Android 4.2.2 on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

dingermtb

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

I'll definitely test if there's a virgin fix :D

Sent from my ZombieBean 4.2.2-VM670 using Xparent Holo Tapatalk 2

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

I got past some errors and thought it was going to compile but then it crashed with some linkage errors which I think are due to insufficient memory. My build pc is a 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo laptop with 3 gb ram (barely adequate for building android). I'm going to try increasing swap space from 3 to 8 gb but if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy more physical ram.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I got past some errors and thought it was going to compile but then it crashed with some linkage errors which I think are due to insufficient memory. My build pc is a 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo laptop with 3 gb ram (barely adequate for building android). I'm going to try increasing swap space from 3 to 8 gb but if that doIesn't work I guess I'll have to buy more physical ram.

got ice cream sandwich to build on a 1.8 GHz laptop with 2GB ram.
at least 32GB swap though. figured had harddrive space but maxed out the ram.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Well I got through a build but I had to skip over the libwebviewchromium.so library that was making my build crash. This is the new Chromium WebView for KitKat, so there's not a lot of info out there yet. Others are having similar problems with it though. I'm thinking if there's another KitKat rom out there that's built for armv6 I might be able to just stick it into /system/libs, or maybe I can get it built standalone. This is the first rom I've attempted so it may take me some time to get up to speed. It also errored out complaining that system.img was too large so I had to change the max system image size constant. System.img is probably too big to flash at this point, I'll have to find some way to trim it down. I ordered more ram for my laptop so that should make things easier.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Well I got through a build but I had to skip over the libwebviewchromium.so library that was making my build crash. This is the new Chromium WebView for KitKat, so there's not a lot of info out there yet. Others are having similar problems with it though. I'm thinking if there's another KitKat rom out there that's built for armv6 I might be able to just stick it into /system/libs, or maybe I can get it built standalone. This is the first rom I've attempted so it may take me some time to get up to speed. It also errored out complaining that system.img was too large so I had to change the max system image size constant. System.img is probably too big to flash at this point, I'll have to find some way to trim it down. I ordered more ram for my laptop so that should make things easier.

Just curious, every time I tried I got stuck at art runtime with some armv7 errors. Could you point me in the right direction to get past that? Unless it was fixed upstream at Androidarmv6

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Just curious, every time I tried I got stuck at art runtime with some armv7 errors. Could you point me in the right direction to get past that? Unless it was fixed upstream at Androidarmv6

I didn't get that particular error, I had issues with camera, bluetooth and the chromium thing. What did you have in your local manifest? We might be using different sources. If you run the build and send me the exact error message I might be able to help. Message me if you want.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

My sync was with Androidarmv6's github repo and I used thekraven's 10.1 device and vendor folders made it past several problems but got stuck at the new art runtime atomic.h

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm supposed to get my 4 gb ram chip in the mail tomorrow, that'll bump me up to 6 gb which should be enough to rule out that issue. I'm also going to replace my Fedora installation with Ubuntu since that's what everyone's supposed to use for Google software. If it continues to crash on Chromium WebView I'm going to try to build the Chromium browser app for Android and pull what I need out of there for the rom. Supposedly it can be built for armv6 but I haven't been able to find an apk. If anyone wants to try building the libwebviewchromium.so so we can start testing a rom let me know, I can tell you what you need to do. You would need to download the CM11 source if you don't already have it.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm supposed to get my 4 gb ram chip in the mail tomorrow, that'll bump me up to 6 gb which should be enough to rule out that issue. I'm also going to replace my Fedora installation with Ubuntu since that's what everyone's supposed to use for Google software. If it continues to crash on Chromium WebView I'm going to try to build the Chromium browser app for Android and pull what I need out of there for the rom. Supposedly it can be built for armv6 but I haven't been able to find an apk. If anyone wants to try building the libwebviewchromium.so so we can start testing a rom let me know, I can tell you what you need to do. You would need to download the CM11 source if you don't already have it.
dunno if it'd help, but the Raspbian repository has debian wheezy chromium source buildable for armv6.
It probably doesn't have the right bits and parts, but thought you might be interested.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Here's the real kicker... Even if we manage to get a complete build it sounds like we may need to get a newer cwm recovery working In order to use it.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

By the way skinbark do you have a github repo setup? Just curious if you did I'd try and sync to see if it stops at the same spot for me, I'm running Linux mint. It's an Ubuntu variant if your not familiar.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

By the way skinbark do you have a github repo setup? Just curious if you did I'd try and sync to see if it stops at the same spot for me, I'm running Linux mint. It's an Ubuntu variant if your not familiar.

No but I think I'm going to fork my own repo soon. I just cloned androidarmv6 and TheJBC. I'd like to fork both of those and then redirect my local repo to the fork so I don't have to download it again, but I'm not sure exactly how. I'm just starting to learn about using git and repo.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Here's the real kicker... Even if we manage to get a complete build it sounds like we may need to get a newer cwm recovery working In order to use it.

My build produced a recovery image that should be compatible. I'll try flashing it and make sure it works.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

The stock /system folder output was way larger than the system partition size on the Optimus, which is about 165mb. I went in and started deleting stuff, and got it down to about that size (165), getting close to something that can be flashed. I'm not sure how much free space is actually necessary. TheJBC 10.2, which I couldn't get working, has about 10-12 megs free. I found a KitKat rom for my other phone (One V) so I'm going to flash that and see what this 4.4 stuff is like. I got caught up in a Toxic Avenger marathon on tv last night so I didn't get much done with the Optimus.