List of all 163 T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 markets

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: List of all 163 T-Mobile HSPA 42 markets

Hmmm, on my old 4S I pulled 15 mb/s, I don't live in the US though and most places here are either HSDPA+42 or 21 so I get impressive speeds everywhere:D
There are a few times a week when I will test the speed on my Nexus 4 and get about the same speed so it just depends on the time of day and how the phone is being held or sitting somewhere.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
@NexusgirlX

What apn did you change it to? And will you please post a screen shot of the test?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
@NexusgirlX

What apn did you change it to? And will you please post a screen shot of the test?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not sure where I even found the APN but it's just called phone. I got this speed test in my bathroom. It depends on where I go in my house. This one is the best one I have ever got on AT&T.

Attachments

• d9PGp.png
    d9PGp.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 49

reuthermonkey

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not being updated. And that list looks like it was pulled together from the T-Mobile press releases. They've deployed more HSPA+42 markets since November though.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I live in a 42+ region (in town/full bars) but when I tested tmo for month I RARELY got above 2mbps. What gives?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I live in a 42+ region (in town/full bars) but when I tested tmo for month I RARELY got above 2mbps. What gives?

On most devices the bars don't represent speed, but signal strength (it's weird, but not causation, just loosely correlated). As for the speed, if you're in a 4G area receiving a 4G signal, that sounds like either congestion or interference. It could be something on the device (setting or hardware issue), but hard to guess. Is that inside, outside or both?

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
On most devices the bars don't represent speed, but signal strength (it's weird, but not causation, just loosely correlated). As for the speed, if you're in a 4G area receiving a 4G signal, that sounds like either congestion or interference. It could be something on the device (setting or hardware issue), but hard to guess. Is that inside, outside or both?

Both....I grabbed a prepaid Sim and the $30/mo plan and tested service pretty much all over for the thirty days. At the end of the service date I just went back to ATT StaightTalk as their service was just as fast/faster and more reliable. I'm on a Nexus 4 BTW....what sort of device setting were you referring to?

PS thx for the reply :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Both....I grabbed a prepaid Sim and the $30/mo plan and tested service pretty much all over for the thirty days. At the end of the service date I just went back to ATT StaightTalk as their service was just as fast/faster and more reliable. I'm on a Nexus 4 BTW....what sort of device setting were you referring to?

PS thx for the reply :)

On some devices (I'm thinking of HTC right now, but never really looked for it on my Nexus) you can select preferred networks, etc. and it impacts speeds and connect-ability. I think it's something like settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks > network mode.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
On some devices (I'm thinking of HTC right now, but never really looked for it on my Nexus) you can select preferred networks, etc. and it impacts speeds and connect-ability. I think it's something like settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks > network mode.

Thanks for this. Maybe I'll pay for another month and give it a look-see.