List of all 163 T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 markets

kart180

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am considering buying the nexus4 on tmobile but the coverage is bad in South Florida. There is only one tower near me and Sprint has better coverage but would like a phone without bloatware

cheesemachine

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Not South Florida, but in the Tampa area where I frequent (North Tampa, North Pinellas and Pasco Counties) I have been getting pings under 100 ms, sometimes around 40ms

Download speeds have ranged from 10mbps to 20 Upload speeds have ranged between about .750mbps ish to about 1.7

No complaints here at all. Things can always be faster, but w/e

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've found is that there are some structures which GSM seems to penetrate better than CDMA (though there are a couple exceptions, too). I live in Lee County, so here have been my own experiences. And I know this thread is ostensibly about HSPA+ 42 performance, but I'd like to (slightly) derail this thread and talk about signal reception itself. After all, it doesn't much matter what your data speed is if you don't have a cell signal. And, overall, I like T-Mobile. A lot. I'd like to see others add to the following research.

Barnes & Noble (Fort Myers):
Sprint: Signal up to ~2-3 meters into the store; beyond that, almost no reception
T-Mobile: Perfect - fair reception throughout the structure

TigerDirect (nee CompUSA):
Sprint: >1m, signal; further than that, absolutely NOTHING
T-Mobile: Great - Fair reception throughout

Bob Evans in Cape Coral / Del Prado Blvd:
Sprint: No reception period.
T-Mobile: Good - Fair reception throughout

Edison State College (Fort Myers campus):
Sprint: Great - Fair; some dropouts
T-Mobile: Roughly the same; dropouts in similar or different spots

cheesemachine

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile's coverage has been a pleasant surprise. I was worried that I would be downgrading my service by moving from Verizon just to get the N4. But that simply hasn't been the case.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to check if my nexus 4 is conected to 1700 or 1900 band, tmobile stores in our area are claiming that 1900 is rolling out in our area now and most places already rolles out

Sent from my Nexus 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for T-Mobile to bring their best stuff to us here in Iowa. We have fairly wide spread "partner coverage" -- I think it's I-Wireless which claims 4G. Any Iowa folks confirm>

I-Wireless is a T-Mobile subsidiarity. Their speeds suck in Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I haven't tried it anywhere else. US Cellular claims to have LTE, but it's worse than Verizon 3G speeds. AT&T exists here, but it's cell coverage is terrible. The only real choices in the eastern half of Iowa are Sprint (3G only) or Verizon (LTE), and Verizon speeds in Waterloo/Cedar Falls pull better than 40mbps downloads consistently. Someone said the GNex won't pull 42 mbps, but the highest I've seen on mine is 60. I'd absolutely love T-Mobile HSPA+42 here, but currently the only markets that have T-Mobile anything in Iowa are Ames and Des Moines, and they're both HSPA 21 markets.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I-Wireless is a T-Mobile subsidiarity. Their speeds suck in Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I haven't tried it anywhere else. US Cellular claims to have LTE, but it's worse than Verizon 3G speeds. AT&T exists here, but it's cell coverage is terrible. The only real choices in the eastern half of Iowa are Sprint (3G only) or Verizon (LTE), and Verizon speeds in Waterloo/Cedar Falls pull better than 40mbps downloads consistently. Someone said the GNex won't pull 42 mbps, but the highest I've seen on mine is 60. I'd absolutely love T-Mobile HSPA+42 here, but currently the only markets that have T-Mobile anything in Iowa are Ames and Des Moines, and they're both HSPA 21 markets.

Des moines area being upgraded to 42mbps this week just so u know

Sent from my Nexus 4

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular are not options for the Nexus 4, because they're CDMA.

Update: I tried out I-Wireless for a month and had download speeds between 3 and 10mpbs in Cedar Rapids and Ankeny areas. I live far enough away from these areas that my residence and place of employment only have 2G/Edge coverage. Because of this, I decided to give Straight Talk AT&T a try for the second month. So far, AT&T data coverage has been more widespread, but the speeds have not been quite as fast when compared to I-Wireless.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I live in Ontario and go to LA, Riverside, & Long Beach all the time. These cities are all on the list of places that are supposed to have HSPA+ 42. When I go to the menu it only shows +15 and never 21 or 42. Is there something I need to do get 42?

My Nexus is from the play store and I'm using Tmo prepaid $70 unlimited everything.
uploadfromtaptalk1362848595290.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jamie stevens

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Im on there but coverage is horrible! But fast as hell when coverage is good. Faster than my friends verizon and att lte. I have nexus 4. Verizon is the droid dna and the att phone is the one x+

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re:
Colorado Springs.
This is a hard area due to terrain. TMO does have HSPA+ here, but it depends where you are. On top of a hill, you might just be 3G. A lot of the towers are lower than you are. A tower on your elevation might be almost out of range. I vary between both when I can see what signal - the wifi icon hides the network speed.
They are pretty good on voice, though. My friend on Sprint has dropped calls like you wouldn't believe. Terrain again.

mhaner

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch and couldn't be happier. I live in the IE and work in Whittier. My wife and I couldn't be happier with the service on TMobile.

I'm currently on Sprint, but I'm looking hard at T-Mobile due to cost. I'm seeing a lot of people on here who have made that same switch and are happy, but I'm in the Southern California area (Orange County), so I figured I'd ask how the "4G" speeds and connectivity have been for any who made that switch, or just those on T-Mobile in general. On that note, with HSPA+ on 1900MHz and LTE on 1700MHz, the recently announced HTC One should support both versions of their 4G, correct? HSPA/HSPA+ on 1900MHz band, and LTE on 1700MHz? The phone itself should support those...

Edit: Sorry, I had been following this thread because of the subject; I forgot it was a Nexus 4 sub-forum. Pardon my somewhat misplaced question...

theangelskings

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently on Sprint, but I'm looking hard at T-Mobile due to cost. I'm seeing a lot of people on here who have made that same switch and are happy, but I'm in the Southern California area (Orange County), so I figured I'd ask how the "4G" speeds and connectivity have been for any who made that switch, or just those on T-Mobile in general. On that note, with HSPA+ on 1900MHz and LTE on 1700MHz, the recently announced HTC One should support both versions of their 4G, correct? HSPA/HSPA+ on 1900MHz band, and LTE on 1700MHz? The phone itself should support those...

Edit: Sorry, I had been following this thread because of the subject; I forgot it was a Nexus 4 sub-forum. Pardon my somewhat misplaced question...

I'm in LA County (LAX area) and I'm very happy with Tmobile service. I get about 15mbps here, which is plenty for me. When I travel to north county (SCV) or Orange, Riverside or San Diego counties, service is good there too. There are a few dead spots for reception that drop calls here and there, but that's any provider. Overall I'm very satisfied with Tmobile and have never had any issues traveling in the US, especially in big cities (and Maui for that matter). I used to live outside Chicago and when I still visit there, service/data is good in and outside the city.

I'm on the $60 prepaid unlimited minutes/text and 2G internet - when I priced out other plans, they didn't even come close to what I would save/get with Tmoblie. I've been a tmobile customer for the last 11 years and have looked several times to switch, but always stay because of the price and offerings. With wifi on at home and work, I never even get close to 1G of data use per month.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not totally sure if T-Mobile has deployed 42mbps DC-HSPA+ in Saint Louis recently, or if i'm simply getting on the refarmed cell, but I've been taking speedtests downtown and near clayton for the past few weeks and noticed that speeds have improved noticeably from the 3-5 i would get on average to 10mbps+ averages with bursts around 20mbps. Pings have also dropped recently from ~100ms down to the 40-60ms averages. I'd wager that DC-HSPA+ has indeed been deployed (rather than simple cell-splitting), as one of the benefits of 3gpp rel-8 (which defines DC-HSPA+) is support for a flat ip architecture. That would certainly explain the drop in pings. This would also be the groundwork for deploying LTE in the St Louis market in the future.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...a1uhA/s800/Screenshot_2013-02-05-11-38-36.png

Thanks. Good to know. I live in Webster groves area, pretty close to Clayton.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: List of all 163 T-Mobile HSPA 42 markets

Aurora Colorado (Foxfield), area code 80016 and west up to at least Chambers road, now have HSPA available for iPhones. Service just became available sometime over the past two weeks. Service for other phones including Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 tablets has been available for a very long time.

The attachment is from my iPhone 4S. I get speeds between 17-21Mbps on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 tablet.

Attachments

• photo-4.PNG
    photo-4.PNG
    423.8 KB · Views: 25

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Aurora Colorado (Foxfield), area code 80016 and west up to at least Chambers road, now have HSPA available for iPhones. Service just became available sometime over the past two weeks. Service for other phones including Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 tablets has been available for a very long time.

The attachment is from my iPhone 4S. I get speeds between 17-21Mbps on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 tablet.
Why is the iPhone so slow? it has HSDPA 21 right?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I don't know. I used the APN from unlock it, there is only one choice. That is 4.79Mbps faster than what I got on AT&T so I will gladly take this!

Hmmm, on my old 4S I pulled 15 mb/s, I don't live in the US though and most places here are either HSDPA+42 or 21 so I get impressive speeds everywhere:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire