Lollipop Bugs

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
After the update, the attentive display never worked! It used to work spot-on running 4.4.4.. I read this thread and thought maybe i should clear system cache.. followed the procedure on moto site.. but couldn't get past step 5.. No matter how I tried, holding down VOL UP for 5-10-15-20 secs (tried all), and hitting power simultaneously, it just dint work... I had to reboot like 4-5 times before i gave up.. Now i was reading a document and it works again! The screen dint go off. I faced my phone away and turned towards me right when it dims and it lit up again (that's my test for attentive display).. I dunno what happened there.. But hope it stays this way...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now its not working again!! :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like they changed the procedure to clear cache in android L.

Here's the new one:

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the phone turns on.
Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode."
Press the Power button to start recovery mode. An Android robot with a red exclamation mark will display.
While holding down the Power button, press and release the Volume Up button.
Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition," then press the Power button to select it.
Press the Power button to select reboot system now.

After clearing system cache, attentive display is working again.

Last edited:

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Apart from the attentive display issue which i fixed, i find the following buggy...

I cannot open any app on voice prompt command when the phone is locked. When its open, im able to access apps. I dunno if moto voice has to be tweaked according to new OS.

Another lousy thing is Whatsapp keeps beeping when I switch to priority mode. And moto assist has synced with downtime settings in android l, but honestly i dint quite understand how interruptions and priority mode works.. I made sure all apps have priority turned off.. including whatsapp. But still whatsapp notification beeps. that just threw me off, wondering what was i doing wrong....?

Also in priority interruptions,there is an option for events and reminders. I know reminders but what it means by 'events'? Just to make sure, i switched it off too (I switched off calls and texts..).

Im kinda irked by how the phone goes to 'priority' mode when i activate sleeping in moto assist. Maybe they should have snuck in an option there.. or maybe its just me not used to the new stuff :p.. I'm thinking Android L tried to implement some of the 'assist' features from moto here

Lijash Iqbal

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Apart from the attentive display issue which i fixed, i find the following buggy...

I cannot open any app on voice prompt command when the phone is locked. When its open, im able to access apps. I dunno if moto voice has to be tweaked according to new OS.

Almost similar issue, only for me its only for WhatsApp and Facebook (unfortunately the 2 I use the most :( ! )

Had faced 2 other issues:
1. On trying to go back to Home from an app, a black screen gets shown instead with only the navigation soft buttons below. The quick settings and notification bar is still active and accessible though. Only way to come out of this is to reboot.
2. "Unfortunately Google search has stopped working" message appears randomly. Resolves on its own and no restart necessary.

Both these issues have not resurfaced since a factory reset.

Have been pretty happy with Lollipop so far, but have to say doesn't give that "assured" feeling KitKat did. Maybe its just one patch away from being super awesome ! :) Fingers crossed.

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Both these issues have not resurfaced since a factory reset.

Have been pretty happy with Lollipop so far, but have to say doesn't give that "assured" feeling KitKat did. Maybe its just one patch away from being super awesome ! :) Fingers crossed.

I don't want to go through the trouble of factory resetting.. So I just cleared the system cache and the attentive display is working now.

I've been having problems with Google search even before update. It takes a lot of time (10-15secs) before opening the settings. And it had crashed twice.. It crashed on my friends phone too.. I think it's some problem with that app..

I too liked the look and feel of lollipop overall.. But has minor glitches to it. Maybe a patchwork update would fix most of the issues.. Hope they do that soon

Lijash Iqbal

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to go through the trouble of factory resetting.. So I just cleared the system cache and the attentive display is working now.

I did the reset on advice from Motorola support on raising the 2 issues I had mentioned. Since then those two have not re surfaced again.
So, you might wanna give it a shot :)

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
OK the attentive display is not working again! I give up. This is some sort of bug in the software.. I'm suspecting there are lot of other bugs too!

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Have any of you been able to use cast screen? Every time I try it says no devices even though I have several and the apps work great...

Posted via the Android Central App

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that has cleared the system cache(not just the app cache) and is still having issues, your options are to factory reset and see if that fixes it, or live with the bugs. Until you factory reset, you cannot know if the bugs are real or just byproducts of the flash.

Sent from my XT1096

poots1101

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I know someone that has the fast music issue when using Bluetooth in his car.

I also noticed an issue with moto voice and its playback volume. if I say hey moto x what's up, it says the time just fine but it's a little on the loud side. so I turned the volume down and asked again...the loud volume returned.

Alpejohn

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I think there must be a bug in the "priority" function. Because my nexus 5 notifies me whenever I get an email when it's set to only calls and messages from starred contacts.

Now the Internet is bugging me all night! Only fix is to turn of notification in Gmail (and then I forget to turn it on again and don't get notified when I get emails)..

This is just stupid...

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I think there must be a bug in the "priority" function. Because my nexus 5 notifies me whenever I get an email when it's set to only calls and messages from starred contacts.

Now the Internet is bugging me all night! Only fix is to turn of notification in Gmail (and then I forget to turn it on again and don't get notified when I get emails)..

This is just stupid...

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk
It does so for WhatsApp for me. Other notifications are fine..

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Anyone that has cleared the system cache(not just the app cache) and is still having issues, your options are to factory reset and see if that fixes it, or live with the bugs. Until you factory reset, you cannot know if the bugs are real or just byproducts of the flash.

Sent from my XT1096
I did leave my phone switched off for ~10 mins after update and I cleared system cache.. I don't wanna do the factory reset on my phone as it's just too much work.. I have to download all the apps and reconstruct my wallpapers... Will it get fixed if Google possibly updates fixing all the bugs?

After clearing the system cache, the attentive display looks fixed.. I'm not sure if it will stay that way!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I did leave my phone switched off for ~10 mins after update and I cleared system cache.. I don't wanna do the factory reset on my phone as it's just too much work.. I have to download all the apps and reconstruct my wallpapers... Will it get fixed if Google possibly updates fixing all the bugs?

After clearing the system cache, the attentive display looks fixed.. I'm not sure if it will stay that way!
Depending on the issue, it could possibly get fixed with time or future os updates. But whenever you don't cleanly install an os on ANY device(computer phone or otherwise) there is a high risk unpredictable bugs. Bugs that can only be fixed with full wipes or maybe even a reflash of the update. Clearing the system cache should get most problems, maybe not all.

Sent from my XT1096

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth with my car stereo seems more intermittent. Lots of gaps. With my lg BT headphones not once. Before the update rarely any disruptions or gaps.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I cleared cache in recovery, didn't help. FDR and it starting working again, only to stop working an hour later. Ambient display only works for received notifications at the time you receive them, can't get it to turn on from moving the phone. BT issues via audio while streaming music to car. My camera FC a couple times. Just really buggy.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
After reading these posts, I'd rather wait a few more weeks and get a better first build of an update than be fast and buggy. I just get a feeling this was rushed to be the first again and this time it's biting them in the...

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Yea.. I too think Motorola should ve been patient after lollipop caused problems with nexus 5. Dunno why they jumped the gun?

Maybe it's a prestige issue for them, to be the first to tell release the OS..