Long exposure disappointment

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
So wanted to take advantage of the long exposure feature under motion on the pixel 7 camera, during a rocket launch would be a great opportunity. I followed the instructions of keeping the camera still and braced and was disappointed with the outcome. I think the shutter may have stayed open for 2 or 3 seconds and the end result was nothing I was expecting. I was expecting to see one of those very long trails that you see professional long exposure shots exhibit. Thoughts?PXL_20230501_002719687.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I was expecting to see one of those very long trails that you see professional long exposure shots exhibit. Thoughts?

You'll never get a long exposure shot like that from a phone using presets. You could try manual mode by setting your exposure time and ISO as desired, but even that will have its limitations. It's all about knowing those limitations and working within them. For example, I shot this "yarn ball" on an LG V20 using manual mode. I was spinning an led light on a string, using ISO 50 and a 15" exposure time.Yarn%20Ball.jpg

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to force the long exposure? I've been in situations where I thought it should kick in but didn't. Its only done it a few times.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to force the long exposure? I've been in situations where I thought it should kick in but didn't. Its only done it a few times.
I don't have this specific phone, but is there a manual (or "pro") mode option? That is what you need to force a specific shutter time, but most phones are limited to 20-30 seconds.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't have this specific phone, but is there a manual (or "pro") mode option? That is what you need to force a specific shutter time, but most phones are limited to 20-30 seconds.
I know the long exposure type pro mode you're talking about about, but I think this is supposed to be some kind of auto thing that happens when the phone recognizes a situation that would benefit from it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I know the long exposure type pro mode you're talking about about, but I think this is supposed to be some kind of auto thing that happens when the phone recognizes a situation that would benefit from it.
The problem is the way the camera is designed doesn't allow the type of controls necessary for long exposure you're asking about. You would need a device from OnePlus, Samsung or Sony to have the full manual long exposure control.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
...I think this is supposed to be some kind of auto thing that happens when the phone recognizes a situation that would benefit from it.

I get that, but now you run into the problem of what you think is needed, and what the programmer thinks is needed, are two separate things. If you look at the OP's example. The picture, on average, is decently exposed. Any less and the homes would be too dark. Any longer and the sky would start blowing out. The app doesn't know that the subject is the moving rocket, so it doesn't set the exposure for it specifically. That's why a decent understanding of a true manual mode is needed for something like this. According to Laura, the Pixel apparently doesn't have a manual mode, so you'd have to see what third party apps can do. Camera FV-5 is one of the most advanced third party camera apps for manual controls, but then you'll still be limited to firmware limitations of the phone. There's a free version to try before you buy.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174