So much disappointment (S22 Ultra, US T-mobile)

rjnsmith

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I love the Samsung family. I had the switched from iPhone & got the Galaxy S4 the day it came out & never looked back. My next phone was the 6, then 8 plus (didn't last long due to drops) then Note 9 which is still by far my favorite phone.

Some complains:
Missing the LED blinking light at top for notifications? IMO this is what stood out the most vs an iPhone. I had no way of knowing if I got a notification without waking up my phone unless I want to drain the battery even more (don't get me started with that) and keeping the display on.

Well speaking of battery life. It's brutal. Two nights in a row I went to bed at 100% & averaged 6 hours of sleep. Woke up both days with my phone at 91%

The phone can't lay flat??? What the heck???? I can't use the pen right without the phone wobbling all over the place. Whoever designed the back needs to be resign.

And my pants fall down everytime I put it in my pocket it's stupid heavy.

I also miss the headphone jack but I knew that going in & is also why I still love my note 9 more.

And lastly - I miss the volume buttons being on the left. I never swiped my hand before to take a screen shot.

Some pros though -

Screen is beautiful. Watching movies & such on the phone should be enjoyable.

Camera is by far one of the best coming from a photographer. I hope it holds up well at confers too.

It's fast lol but it's also new so...

Anyways that is my little rant. Even thinking about actually switching to my note 9 again since I kept it. I'm going to give it at least 1 week though before doing anything but like I said I'm just disappointed in some of the small features missing that I think could have easily stayed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Led long gone since Note 9 (will be missed)
The phone is stupid light for its size
Try a case if it wobbles
Headphone jack can get usb c dongle or usb c headphones , i go Bluetooth these days .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Led long gone since Note 9 (will be missed)
The phone is stupid light for its size
Try a case if it wobbles
Headphone jack can get usb c dongle or usb c headphones , i go Bluetooth these days .
Believe it or not I can't find comfortable Bluetooth headphones. Either they fall out or hurt my ears. I'd try Samsung buds but they are too expensive to throw in a drawer.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
On my S21 Ultra I use an app called LED Me Know for notifications. I haven't set up my S22 Ultra yet, but I can think of no reason why it wouldn't work with it too.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Believe it or not I can't find comfortable Bluetooth headphones. Either they fall out or hurt my ears. I'd try Samsung buds but they are too expensive to throw in a drawer.
I agree the only Bluetooth i found comfortable was the pixel buds

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow, the good ol' Note 9. I had the blue Note 9 with the yellow Spen - which annoyed me at first but I grew to like how the Spens were colored. It also helped me find it after dropping it while riding the bus one night, thanks to the yellow glow. lol It was also the last Note to have the fingerprint reader on the back, right? To be honest, I thought the notification light was gone before the Note 9 - I don't recall. I felt the same, and the always on display does help a little, but I agree there was something about being able to see the light maybe blink a certain color for a particular notification - and from a distance!

Anyway, a lot has changed. I did turn in that Note 9 for the ZF3 last year.

You can still do screen captures by pressing the power and lower volume buttons simultaneously.

It that wobble gets you, good thing you never got the Note 20 U! :D

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the note 9 myself.
I feel your pain.
I also miss the way I could unlock the note9 with a hard press to the screen.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
You can add an edge panel called tasks and add take screen shot that's what I use
Here's a screenshot showing it.
b1b1b41be4ccfb3b549ba85b7c5abf15.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree the only Bluetooth i found comfortable was the pixel buds
I prefer Samsung to Pixel Buds. The Samsung Buds Live are the ones that feel least like they are in your ear but sometimes placement is tricky. The regular Buds and Buds + are great. Haven't tried the Pros yet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I prefer Samsung to Pixel Buds. The Samsung Buds Live are the ones that feel least like they are in your ear but sometimes placement is tricky. The regular Buds and Buds + are great. Haven't tried the Pros yet.
I dont like the sound or fit on Samsung buds live , the pixel sound better and feel better

Sukiyaki

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been researching this phone, because it's going to be my next one. You can choose to have your display always on or only turn on and stay on when you have new notifications. I have watched so many videos I don't recall if that is a feature of Samsung Good Lock, or something built in, but I know I saw it somewhere. If I can find the video, I'll come back and post it.

Sukiyaki

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think this is the video that had the notification settings on it. Starting 6:05 mark. Lock screen and always on display settings. You can choose to turn the screen on for new notifications. Not as subtle as the LED, I have different colored LED's for different notifications on my current phone, but at least it's a visual prompt.

https://youtu.be/oH3n6NR7u6Q?t=365

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I miss the Notification LED too but we've got Always On Display that sets it even further apart from iPhone and gives a lot more information.