Looking to Use My Note 20 Ultra as a Telescope

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Moon, maybe (you will have to play with the exposure, ISO, etc. and will still need to be super steady to get a good shot... preferably you'll want to take these in Pro mode as the Moon brightness tends to overexpose in Auto mode). Planets? Unlikely. The lenses you linked top out at 20X, and a good MINIMAL telescope for planetary observation/photography will need at least 100x zoom.

You can test it out, just max out your phone's zoom at 50x and see how big a 'planet' or star gets... so won't be much help. Now, for Moon shots, if it's bright enough, clear enough, and big enough, you can still get some pretty darn decent shots with the phone alone! This is one of a few I've taken with it from the last Full Moon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIPLlR0BtS6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

And this one is from October (not full, but still a good shot, if you don't mind me tootin' my own horn)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF_VOqthGx7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A lens with such a small objective lens won't be letting in much light, so that's one problem.

And 18X isn't going to do much unless it's mounted (to a sturdy tripod) by more than the lens.

I'd get a real telescope, an adapter, and use the telescope as the "zoom lens". (Even my little Meade 60AT can be adapted to cellphones.)

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
So there are adapters that would allow me to hook up my phone to a telescope and take pictures ofnl the moon and planets. That would be so cool!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
As 'SpookDroid' stated, it's great for "Moon Shots" - I got this in September, just leaning against my back screen porch wall and tucking my arms in as close as I could to my body to stay steady - 50X zoom
20200926_193506.jpeg
Second shot is an attempt at the Andromeda cluster - I could clearly see 4 or 5 stars, even on my screen, but this is what the camera got due to "lack of light"! I tried with Night Mode too.. same result!
20201004_001210.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174