Lost root, Safestrap and black screen problem.... Help please

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello. Ok putting this in a time line might make it easiest to explain.

I was running ICS 246 rooted. Installed Voodoo OTA root keeper saved root took OTA update and remained rooted. I installed Safestrap and installed Liquid rom. All was well for about a week. No issues going back and forth between Liquid and stock slot. Tonight I went back to Stock and decided to stay with that for now. (no problems with Liquid by the way great ROM) Started using Stock and was sluggish and buggy. Same issues I always have after an update. I then backed everything up. Performed a factory reset and all went well. Finished and still had all root privileges. Half way through restoring apps only not system data they began failing. I stopped the restore and rebooted. After rebooting I no longer had full root. Voodoo showed device rooted but not root permissions granted. ROM tool box and TB no longer worked. I rebooted into Safestrap and applied a Nandroid back up of my stock slot. Restored but now it will not boot up. Safestrap screen comes up then the "M" and then nothing. You can hear the Bionic boot animation sound but no screen. It stays like that and then the boot animation sound again no picture. Battery pull boot back into Safestrap and activate slot 3 and reboot Liquid rom. That boots up with no problems and while in that ROM I have full root in root checker and Voodoo. I attempted a restore to a prior backup for stock slot with same outcome. I then performed a factory reset via Safestrap and then through Recovery. Same outcome. I have a working phone but only in Liquid stock slot 3. Any suggestions? I am dead in the water. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I think the Nandroid backup is what broke it. I don't think that is supported after the new JB update. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I'm sure somebody will chime in. I think I remember reading something about it in the Droid Bionic Jelly Bean Update thread. You may want to check it out.

These posts might help:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/217680-droid-bionic-jelly-bean-update-92.html#post2711588
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/217680-droid-bionic-jelly-bean-update-92.html#post2711619

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
ok thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I tired FXZing no luck. errors out.

Sent from my XT875 using Android Central Forums

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
ok thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I tired FXZing no luck. errors out.

Sent from my XT875 using Android Central Forums

I could be wrong, but I think the fact that SS is installed keeps the FXZ from installing. But I'm not sure how you get around that since you need to be in stock to uninstall it. One of the experts (Sam are you there?) can possibly help you. Gotta be a way out for you, wish you luck.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Ya that's kinda that what I was thinking. Can't get SS off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Ratamacue2

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same issue as well. Turns out the issue with "black screen after restore" is caused by doing the backup with root still protected by voodoo. A poster over at Droidrzr sleuthed this problem out. Fortunately, there's a much easier solution than a full blown rebuild. If you have a backup of your stock ROM, you can have your stock ROM slot up and running in 5 minutes.

1. Restore your stock ROM backup to a spare ROM slot. I put mine in ROM slot 2.
2. Open Voodoo and click delete SU backup. If that option isn't available, click protect root, then click delete SU backup.
3 Backup ROM slot 2 in SafeStrap.
4 Restore your newly created backup to the stock slot.
5. Done.

Credit for discovering the root cause goes to OldBaldy at Droidrzr.com.
http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/17594-fdr-fubared-stock-rom-stuck-in-bootloop/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere