Love the phone but Gorilla Glass 5 is junk.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Got the phone about two days before launch, immediately took phone out of box and paced it in a case - Incipio NGP Advanced and today I went to take it out of the case to set up the pre-order VR and notice a scratch about an inch long on the back of the device .

Now granted this doesn't harm the device but my goodness is glass 5 easy to scratch apparently.

I mean how does this even happen , I can only assume in my dress pants pocket or jeans every day a grain of dust got into the case and caused this.

It's clearly soft as butter super easy to scratch because I do not keep a single thing in my pant pocket with my phone and I baby every device i own.

Not to make a Samsung vs iPhone war but my S7+ looks like the day I took it out of the box and it's 7 months old haha.

Ahh well, wish they could make it not this easy to scratch.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised. I used the S8+ for one day with a case on it and saw a tiny scratch on the back glass. The newer Gorilla Glass 4 and 5 have the tendency to scratch much more easily. They made the glass more tough and shatterproof, however the glass is now prone to scratches. The Gorilla Glass 4 on my current device scratches easily even if being careful. I remember having the S4, Note 3, and S5 with Gorilla Glass 3. The glass was much more scratch resistant and the screen looked very good even after months of use. Not only that, the glass was flat so installing a screen protector was a breeze.

ragsy1083

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I've already watched a few videos online where people did drop tests on the S8. Haven't seen one yet that survived a pocket high (~3 ft) drop without spiderwebbing the back. However, it's taken a few drops for the screen to break.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Had it since day 1.. even dropped it. No scratches yet. Still on the hunt for a good TG screen protector.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I think we all know that if unlucky enough to get something between the case and phone and it's hard enough it can mark the glass.

I'm using a cheap Tpu case until my dbrand skin arrives. However also until then I have a thin piece of material between the phone and case too. Just in case !

When I had my s7 edge I used the Official Samsung Black Leather back push on Case with no issue. A good tight fit.

To add I don't keep my phone in my pockets. It's either in my shirt pocket or a pdair vertical belt case that my shirt hides.

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Had it since day 1.. even dropped it. No scratches yet. Still on the hunt for a good TG screen protector.

I just saw a video for the first one that has full adhesion and it looks amazing!!! But it's expensive at $45 each. The brand is called Whitestone dome glass cover. Check it out on YouTube, looks like the one everyone has been looking for.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No scratches here on the front screen. Don't use screen protectors but use a good case with raised lips, I don't keep in the same pocket where my keys are. Left pocket is reserved for phone, and it has worked well for all my phones without screen protector. Sure after many months if I look under a microscope may be I'll find minute scratches as a result of everyday use, but that doesn't bother me.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
No scratches here on the front screen. Don't use screen protectors but use a good case with raised lips, I don't keep in the same pocket where my keys are. Left pocket is reserved for phone, and it has worked well for all my phones without screen protector. Sure after many months if I look under a microscope may be I'll find minute scratches as a result of everyday use, but that doesn't bother me.
Left pocket is for nothing but my phone as well lol. Has been ever since I got my first smartphone.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the back gorilla glass 3?

Anyways you misunderstood, gorilla glass is shatter protection and has little to do with scratches. In fact it has maintained the same level of scratch resistance through many versions now.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Easier to scratch but harder to shatter is the idea.

The struggle to find a balance between durability and aesthetic appeal continues to be a challenge for Samsung and LG.

We get a phone with edges that extend to infinity and beyond, but has the durability of a china doll.
We get a phone with traditional edges, large screen, but compromises shatter resistance for scratch resistance.

The experience and features are great on both devices, but how can one fully enjoy them without constantly thinking, "I better not drop this..."

I went to the grocery store over the weekend with my S8 and handed my phone to the cashier so she could scan my loyalty card. As she stood there with my phone in her hand, time literally froze. All I could think of was she better not drop it.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I've posted this of a few different threads but I'll post here as well. Here are pictures of my 12 day old case kept since minute 1 S8+. The phone has been kept in a Spigen Ultra Hybrid.

b83eb2d2c7849b6434e1519ca44a6a95.jpg
bd2812ed60e47ec2f301a2918102f37c.jpg

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I went to the grocery store over the weekend with my S8 and handed my phone to the cashier so she could scan my loyalty card. As she stood there with my phone in her hand, time literally froze. All I could think of was she better not drop it.
I've had cashiers damage my phone. Now I never hand it over. If there's no customer-facing scanner, the cashier should have a hand-held scanner to use while you continue to hold the phone.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I think some people are just a bit rougher with their phones than others. I finally cracked the screen on my GS5 about a month or so ago, with a Spigen Slim Armour case it landed flat screen side down on the concrete floor at work. I have watched all kinds of "lets break phones" videos, most where the phone dropped from waist high seem to be about a 50/50. As beautiful as this phone is no phone is indestructible, that's why we have cases. I am thinking of eventually getting a clear case to show off the phone a bit.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disappointer