LTE "on-off" switch

Bonzo62

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Nothing will change my mind about getting the latest and greatest , the GS3. I have a question about something that was brougt up about the Skyrocket, but havent seen addressed with the new incarnation. Does anyone know if you will be able to disable the LTE on the GS3 ? I work in an LTE city but live out in the sticks. Would like to be able to turn it on and off as needed. Or is the new chip so good and energy efficient that its a non issue , unlike the Skyrockets.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
There should be a setting under Wireless & Networks to shut off LTE.

Probably something to the effect of CDMA only or CDMA/LTE setting. I haven't seen a good enough look in the video's on the international version but the expanded side scrollable toggles under notifications might even have a toggle option there...

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely NOT. This has been my biggest beef with AT&T. They don't allow you to turn off 3G on any of their phones and all their current 4G LTE phones DO NOT have the option to switch LTE off unless you root and flash a custom rom.

They don't want you selecting your network PERIOD. Some also say that if they can keep you on LTE they can charge you more for data, as you'll use twice as much.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Agree. I have own the skyrocket and currently galaxy note and neither has this option. The Canadian models offer it but not att. When not in an LTE area, it will go to HSPA and not use as much battery. As Matt said, they are trying to keep you on LTE as the HSPA networks are more crowded.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I use juice defender and it seems to cut my signal off while the phone is idle. You can tweak it some if you like but yeah, Att doesn't give you the option. Lte eats up data all day. If I don't use my phone at all, my apps take up 20-30 mb a day

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I don't think they'll ever offer the option. Spending some time over at XDA I've learned that all of AT&T's modems are RAT locked which disables this. It's all done through software, which is why all the phones on Rogers allow the option. They are not rat locked. It frustrates me to no end because if I'm in a very spotty LTE area my phone switches constantly between full HSPA+ and LTE, killing my battery.

Just one of the many ways AT&T is arrogant. Sprint on the other hand is just the opposite but you pay the price with their network.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So will one need to just root or root and flash a custom rom? Would it be worth it to save data and battery?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think its as bad as we think. Verizon really gave LTE a bad name with battery life. Galaxy Note & Skyrocket users haven't really been complaining so far have they?

On the contrary we'll have tons and tons of development support and the custom roms will be endless for this device.

Bonzo62

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Well , thanx everyone for the input. I had a feeling it would go the same way as their other LTE phones. Like I said though , wont change my mind about getting this bad boy though. Luckily I'm in the city 10-11 hrs a day and can enjoy LTE for that time. We'll just have to wait and see what the phone actually brings us , maybe they'll surprise us.

b0btech

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
just turn off mobile data from notification menu when not in use. done deal.

ade8a2us.jpg

sent from my SIII in sunny FL.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
App called "Phone Info," available at Play, will allow you to access the info page and shut down LTE.
;)
More here: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/10/how-to-turn-off-4g-on-verizons-galaxy-s3/

That is for Verizon. Does not work for AT&T as far as I can tell. There are only two ways that I've seen to turn off LTE...

One is to change your APN settings.

The other is here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...isable-lte-t-s3-you-can-disable-hspa-too.html

just turn off mobile data from notification menu when not in use. done deal.

The OP wants to turn off LTE - not turn off all data entirely.

jimijames

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, having LTE on all the time doesn't seem to be a battery killer. I'm in an LTE area at work and home, but it drops to "4G" in my work building and bounces between LTE and 4G in the house (when not on wifi). I'm easily getting 12-14 hours with 2ish hours of screen on time. Granted, I have not tried disabling LTE, but I really don't feel the need to.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Use different APN settings.

First APN is "wap.cingular"

Second APN is "phone"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Turning off mobile data entirely is a terrible solution for turning off LTE. Anyway, I was looking for a similar solution and I found this in another forum. Just make sure all of the settings have what this post shows. It works on my GS3 and now I'm on HSPA+. Hope it helps.

I saw a post on XDA about this. You can't disable LTE, but what you can do, is add an APN specifically for HSPA+ and select it.

Let me see if I can find the post.

Go to Settings, More Settings, scroll down to Mobile Networks, click Access Point Names, press Menu and click New APN and then add this,

Name: AT&T WAP
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:<not set>
Server:<not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default
APN protocol IPv4

then go back in and make sure this is the selected APN and it should drop you from LTE and only connect to HSPA+

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Turning off mobile data entirely is a terrible solution for turning off LTE. Anyway, I was looking for a similar solution and I found this in another forum. Just make sure all of the settings have what this post shows. It works on my GS3 and now I'm on HSPA+. Hope it helps.
So, jdot, just wondering if this method is still working good, with latest updates? Thanks again for posting it.

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
For me, I change it by going to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network mode. I can choose to have lte, gsm/hspa, hspa only or gsm only. I'm on Rogers but the phone is the exact same model as ATT though I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so you couldn't turn it off. LTE does impact battery life, don't know if it would be negligible compared to hspa though.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XavierusKasshh