Maps-since JB update

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that Maps is now using more battery since the Jellybean update? I use Gsam battery and Norton utilities, and Gsam reports that Maps is using between 10-15% of the battery, while Norton reports around 5-8%. Not sure which is right, but Maps never used to consume that much battery before JB. I suspect maybe it has something to do with Google Now? Has anyone else noticed this and have you found any fixes?

I generally leave GPS off and dont use Maps too often.

dmlcs

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing about the battery life, as well as the "navigation" icon in the top bars being always displayed. I've never used Google Maps (I'm a Mapquest person myself), and leave the GPS off unless I'm using an app that needs it, so this is particularly annoying. If there's a fix out there, I'd appreciate knowing it, thanks!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure, but I think that Google Now has Maps services running in the background.
Maps seem to encompass a lot of integrated services like Latitude.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have also noticed that Maps is using more battery, at 12% right now. That application sure kills the battery. I used turn by turn navigation last week, in the San Francisco bay area where I have a strong 4G signal, and my GNex with extended battery went from 100% charged to completely dead (shut itself down) in about an hour and a half, while plugged in the whole time! Only thing I was doing was using maps, no other data intensive apps. Now when I use maps I switch to 3G. The battery still drains faster than it charges, but not so much that the phone dies, at least in the time I was using it (I tested it for 2 hours, I do a lot of driving for work).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe