Marshmallow on ATT

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
from a report written on 3/29/16
LG G3 Marshmallow Release Details on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and U.S. Cellular - Neurogadget

AT&T

AT&T has not been very busy in the Marshmallow updates, with only a handful of devices running on this carrier currently having received the update. The carrier has not mentioned a word on when the LG G3 Marshmallow update will show up. The last time this device received an update was back in 2015, which was basically an update to Android Lollipop.

Perhaps AT&T believes in the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Here's a comparison of Marshmallow and Lollipop:
https://www.androidpit.com/android-m-vs-android-lollipop-comparison

Some of the highlights:
App permissions. Allows one to control individual permissions of apps.
Good for those who are smarter than the app developer.
Battery life: Doze. Claims to "double" battery life.
Very skeptical. The three biggest battery drains are (1) screen on time, (2) distance to nearest tower, (3) GPS.
How will Doze help with 1 and 2?
Google Now on Tap. Too intrusive AFAIC
Fingerprint sensor: LG G3 ain't got one.
Android Pay: works on Lollipop with pattern or PIN, don't need fingerprint.
Only significant advantage I see in Marshmallow over Lollipop is being able to use SD card as internal memory. However, it may require a re-formatted SD card, may slow down the operation, may not work correctly on g3.
Not anxious to get marshmallow at all.

Last edited:

tiny_hands

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Only significant advantage I see in Marshmallow over Lollipop is being able to use SD card as internal memory. However, it may require a re-formatted SD card, may slow down the operation, may not work correctly on g3.
Not anxious to get marshmallow at all.

And considering that the G3 randomly unmounts and remounts SD cards, using it as internal memory is bound to make you want to pitch it into the lake.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Got it. Having a problem getting my SD card to mount as internal storage, where as, I can't. Any ideas?

Edit: can't see where Doze is configurable. Should be Battery>overflow>Battery Optimization

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Jamestes

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Got it. Having a problem getting my SD card to mount as internal storage, where as, I can't. Any ideas?

Edit: can't see where Doze is configurable. Should be Battery>overflow>Battery Optimization

Posted via the Android Central App
I think it is already configured because you have to erase and format it just to use it elsewhere. You just have to move apps to it manually. And it doesn't limp all storage into a single number.

Photos link of UI screenshots:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QjN4eXhoSTdPMlVEMXZ4dzJRNEgtSzdnUk5ZUmNR

Joel Lopez1

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I just got it yesterday. Looks good and feels more slick so far. I was hoping it would fix the problems I'm having with my G3 but it didn't. Top part of my screen does not work so no swipe down menu (only with soft button). Also it keeps going to sleep any time it wants.
I have to say that I changed from Samsung because of its hardware getting slow after 7 months of use but LG has been disappointing. It is still a fast phone and battery life is awesome after more than a year of use. So I have to be fair.
Probably moving to HTC or back to Samsung since I can live with poor battery life but not with parts of my screens dying on me.

onlycodered

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Really enjoying this update so far. Feels much more polished than Lollipop. Love that the status icons in the upper right hand corner have been shrinked down in size giving you more room for other notification icons.

jshafer51

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Yes, my upgraded 4/28 in the evening.

A lot of apps are not there now to include the play store. Gone.

How do I roll back or get the play store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk