Mic still cutting out...anyone else ?

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if that volume+ app is the culprit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I uninstalled volume + after the latest update. Last night I got the "hello... Are you there? ". It is this and the lack of a car dock that are going to force me to request a new phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Wife is going to tough out this issue until the SGS3 releases on VZ, and we are trading it in then. I will keep mine as I do not use the phone enough to have gotten this problem (though I know my phone has it, as I swapped with the wife already to test). I don't think it is a phone issue, but a VZ issue with certain locations/towers.

Minneapolis here. Not exactly the mega population center of the Midwest, but when you track this issue by location... it pops up way more than it should. Carolinas and CA too.

For those of you that are keeping the phone anyway, and heck for everyone else out there that feels for those of us that WANT a Nexus phone... go to this link and STAR the issue for us.

Issue 24019 - android - Galaxy Nexus mutes mid-call - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I do have some concerns that the SGS3 will use the same baseband chipset, and that that theory of what is causing the problem is correct. If it is, the SGS3 might have the same problem. Supposedly the Samsung Droid Charge does as well. But at least we will then be on VZ purchased phones, and can swap until they let us choose another if so.

bstealthy

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Wife is going to tough out this issue until the SGS3 releases on VZ, and we are trading it in then. I will keep mine as I do not use the phone enough to have gotten this problem (though I know my phone has it, as I swapped with the wife already to test). I don't think it is a phone issue, but a VZ issue with certain locations/towers.

Minneapolis here. Not exactly the mega population center of the Midwest, but when you track this issue by location... it pops up way more than it should. Carolinas and CA too.

For those of you that are keeping the phone anyway, and heck for everyone else out there that feels for those of us that WANT a Nexus phone... go to this link and STAR the issue for us.

Issue 24019 - android - Galaxy Nexus mutes mid-call - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I do have some concerns that the SGS3 will use the same baseband chipset, and that that theory of what is causing the problem is correct. If it is, the SGS3 might have the same problem. Supposedly the Samsung Droid Charge does as well. But at least we will then be on VZ purchased phones, and can swap until they let us choose another if so.

I've been following this issue for months and I've determined that after asking for several people's locations that are having this issue you will find that there are major areas/hubs in the U.S. that suffer from horrible mic cut out/one way audio issues..

Minnesota
North Carolina
South Carolina
California (Northern California more specifically)
Colorado
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
A couple varied eastern states

I'm sure the samsung radios are probably garbage however, I'm almost convinced that this is most definitely a regional issue with towers/hardware who knows... Almost impossible to get Verizon to listen to me seeing as I'm just a lowly customer who couldn't possibly know anything

den 2012

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Have had the phone since December without a problem until yesterday and started having the cut out issue. Happens frequently now but not every time, very strange. Haven't added any new apps so clueless why this would suddenly start happening. Going to try to wait on getting a refurb but not sure what other options there are... up till now I've loved the phone. In Michigan for what its worth.

den 2012

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like that's the only option. It's just driving me crazy - the phone has worked flawlessly up till now and just starts out of the blue. It's got to be a software glitch but what spawned it...

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like that's the only option. It's just driving me crazy - the phone has worked flawlessly up till now and just starts out of the blue. It's got to be a software glitch but what spawned it...

If yours just started out of the blue, I'd try a new ROM and or a different kernel. If that doesn't fix it, unroot/relock and exchange it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Like the above poster mentioned, you can try clearing cache and dalvik in recovery or try a new rom and kernel combination. That may help!

Sent from my TARDIS

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
On my third Gnex and every one has done it. 4.0.2, 4.0.4, with apps loaded, naked no apps... nothing helps. I honestly believe it has something to do with region, towers and environment. The mic cut out happens most when in my stucco house (metal lath covered with stucco).
I am resigned to the apparent fact that this phone is always going to have connectivity short coming when it comes to telephony. Other than the phone part this thing is fantastic.
:D

den 2012

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Found some helpful info on another Forum. I did a little research and I'm going to give it a try. From what I've read so far both the "headphone router fix" as well as the "headset blocker" app will take care of the bug. Apparently quite a few of the newer Android based smart phones (not limited to just the Gnex) develop this bug where the OS thinks that headphones are being plugged in and unplugged so it keeps switching the mic/ear piece on and off randomly. Makes a lot of sense when I think about how mines been behaving. I'll give it a couple days and report back. Here's hoping

Reactions: dahlheim

SkooterCat

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I too live in Minneapolis, and it just started happening to me in the last two weeks. It's actually getting worse. I rooted and loaded BAMF JB 4.1.1 hoping that might solve the issue, but it didn't. Alas - they used the 4.04 as the base code, so oh well.

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Found some helpful info on another Forum. I did a little research and I'm going to give it a try. From what I've read so far both the "headphone router fix" as well as the "headset blocker" app will take care of the bug. Apparently quite a few of the newer Android based smart phones (not limited to just the Gnex) develop this bug where the OS thinks that headphones are being plugged in and unplugged so it keeps switching the mic/ear piece on and off randomly. Makes a lot of sense when I think about how mines been behaving. I'll give it a couple days and report back. Here's hoping

and... your results?

dennyls

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I finally gave up on the Nexus from Verizon due to this issue. I had a Samsung Charge--went through two of them with this issue. Then Verizon sent me a DOA Nexus, then a working Nexus, but it also had the mic cut-out problem--even tho it supposedly had the software fix. I tried yet another (phone number five)--mic cut out about 10 seconds into the first call I made! After literally three hours on the phone with various Verizon "customer service" folks, they sent me a refurbished Razr Maxx. It has a front facing camera problem, but the phone works great--I forgot how nice it was to have a reliable phone that can actually make and receive calls. Verizon is sending yet another one due to the camera issue--that will be phone number 7. Once my contract is up, it's bye bye Verizon.

Twist747

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I finally gave up on the Nexus from Verizon due to this issue. ------------. Verizon is sending yet another one due to the camera issue--that will be phone number 7. Once my contract is up, it's bye bye Verizon.

Not that I want to sing praises for Big Red, I think you are blaming them for a job well done. If they keep giving you referbs of phones that they don't manufacture, it seems you are blaming the wrong company. I now have the Samsung Galaxy S3. I LOOOVE IT!! I have always had an issue with any phone over the years saying "if this was done, it would be a perfect phone". Everyone can't always be please, but the SG3 has exceeded my wants and I have learned a few new tricks as well.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61