MIUI Rom users? Speed, battery life, endless customization---

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that my home Airave does not work with this ROM. Im guessing different radio settings.

Works fine with mine and I have one of the older models(with out 3g). Calls are nice and clear and texts seem fine.

Do you think it would hurt to flash the WiMax Radio PRL update ? I dont know if it would play nice with this ROM or hurt anything. I guess I could do nandroid first then try it right? I've never had the need to actually restore a nandroid so I'm not to sure how it work exactly.

When I flashed MIUI GB, I first flashed "Sprint Lovers ROM". When you flash it it updates all of your radios. Plus with it being a Sence ROM, I did the GPS fix and the VVM fix. I also setup everything on it(contacts, gmail, apps...) and made a nandroid backup so I would have a Sence backup if I ever need to take it to Sprint for service.

But anybody else notice any radio issues? I think I have slightly BETTER reception actually, but still at home im in a bad area and would liek the full bars I had with the Airave.

I don't really think a ROM would or could effect the reception of your device. Any issues you would or could have would most likely be a radio issue. Try flashing the Sprint Lovers ROM, See if that works.

Sent from my MIUI havin, Gingerbread Throwing EVO

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Here's my main home screen:
snap20110314_210551.png

what are the widgets that you are using there??

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
what are the widgets that you are using there??

The clock is Beautiful Widgets Super Clock with the airport skin and the weather widget is also Beautiful Widgets weather widget 1x1 with mattewhite skin. Both with no backgrounds.

The battery widget is called "Battery Mix" its in the market. It has a few different widget styles. Plus a lot of info about your battery and battery usage.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's my latest setup,
Lockscreen
snap20110328_194219.png

And main homescreen:
snap20110328_194223.png

I started using WeatherBug and just use its notification bar icon, and still using Battery Mix just in the notification bar as well. Now if someone can make/find a mod to hide the clock in the notification bar I'll I'm set!!!

Last edited:

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
how did you take the battery out of the status bar!?!?

Menu>Settings>System>Battery Settings>Battery Indicator Style.

The battery indicator is still there, look at the homescreen screen shot again. Its that really thin line going across the top of the notification bar.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey, OP here.

Updated my Froyo MIUI build to Gingerbread, the latest release.

Still smooth as butter... still having great battery life... found a great theme!
Loving the new pull down notification bar as well.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried that ROM but it was a bit buggy for me. When I used the gps for directions, not turn by turn, just the list of directions, every time I would scroll down to read more, they would turn black and you couldn't see them. It has potential and I will definitely be trying it again.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey, OP here.

Updated my Froyo MIUI build to Gingerbread, the latest release.

Still smooth as butter... still having great battery life... found a great theme!
Loving the new pull down notification bar as well.

I'm still running 1.3.25 GB and love it!!! Did the fixes for GPS and VVM and got that app for HDMI so other than 4g everything works. And really smooth, fast and stable.

Are you on 1.3 or 1.4???

Is the notification bar different from this???
TogglesScreen.png

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried that ROM but it was a bit buggy for me. When I used the gps for directions, not turn by turn, just the list of directions, every time I would scroll down to read more, they would turn black and you couldn't see them. It has potential and I will definitely be trying it again.

That's cause so apps still aren't completely optimized to run on GB. Just go to Menu> Setting> Programs> Manage Applications, find the app and set it to run in compatibility mode.

Works every time.

MaxO

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
That's cause so apps still aren't completely optimized to run on GB. Just go to Menu> Setting> Programs> Manage Applications, find the app and set it to run in compatibility mode.

Works every time.

didnt work for me on titanium backup.. when i go to schedule a backup almost everything is written in black with a black background

davisondan

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
MIUI beta 1.4.1 release

Has anyone tried the 1.4.1 beta release yet? If so what are the changes in comparison to the 1.3.1 release, both are Gingerbread Android 2.3.3?

MaxO

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
im on the new build i wasnt on the last build very much so i cant tell the difference.. this one definately has its ups and downs..

gordo2dope

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i tried 1.4 but went back to 1.3 by the end of the day. i had too many issues, maybe because its a beta.

problems i personally had:

1. could not get lock screen to show AFTER widget locker, actually it would but it was WIDGET LOCKER, then MIUI lock screen, then stock lock screen. I couldnt get it to do WIDGETLOCKER -> LOCK SCREEN. Having to do 3 steps to unlock the phone was a deal breaker for now.

2. Battery charge would not show correctly. I would have it plugged in and it would NOT show that the battery was charging. I couldnt tell if it was charging or not. Then when you unplug the battery level would not change at all, unless you restart the phone, then the "TRUE" value would show, and then then start lowering from there on. I had to restart after charging each time.

3. Gmail would not sync properly. it would show a # at the time that i had (3) new e-mails but they would not actually show no matter how many times i refreshed.

I think I will wait a while and keep using 1.3 since i didnt have any problems with that. Except.... sometimes LAUNCHER PRO would not load and the MIUI launcher would take over for some reason. Even when I would assign PRO as the default launcher in the settings, and or even put BLANK nothing as default so it would prompt to ask. Usually I have to restart a few time to get it to work. But once I even has to reflash to get LauncherPro to work again.

MaxO

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
thats interesting.. i have 0 of those issues.. i did have a fc problem at first but i found a fix and im golden.. working on getting that phantom voicemail off my screen though but it bothers me a lot less than it used to

gordo2dope

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
that reminds me, the other problem i had was the voicemail issue where you get a text from some random thing sayign to call this random number to hear your voice mail. I still end up just calling the normal way (your own # / holding #1). But I would really like visual voicemail, anybody know if this is possible for MIUI?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
didnt work for me on titanium backup.. when i go to schedule a backup almost everything is written in black with a black background

That's kind of weird... I'm on 1.4.1 now and just downloaded titanium to take a look and its running and displaying right on my evo.

I'm assuming you mean this screen?
snap20110406_132405.png

I have it running in compatibility mode. Have you tried unistalling titanium and reinstalling?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried the 1.4.1 beta release yet? If so what are the changes in comparison to the 1.3.1 release, both are Gingerbread Android 2.3.3?

im on the new build i wasnt on the last build very much so i cant tell the difference.. this one definately has its ups and downs..

I've been on 1.4.1 ( it is Gingerbread) for a couple of days now and and I'm loving it. I did flash the latest Timat kernel its 3.3.5+SBC. Super Fast!!! And great battery life to boot.

There are quite a few of changes... alot if not most of them have to do with further optimizing of system apps and some UI elements.

Couple of things that jump out are... copy/paste function has a new popup, the themimg app has a new UI, and there were some changes made to the lockscreen music widget.

Here's the full change log:
http://forums.miui-dev.com/showthread.php?4078-MIUI-Evo-1.4.1-English-and-Chinese-Release-Thread

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
i tried 1.4 but went back to 1.3 by the end of the day. i had too many issues, maybe because its a beta.

Beta???MIUI 1.4.1-ENG Is the latest release of the rom. The full rom was released on 4/1 followed quickly by its English patch, I think on the same night or the following day. Then on 4/4 stiff re-released the full rom as 1.4.1-eng. He just added the English pack, Google's quick search app and Tiamats new 3.3.5 + SBC kernel. The rom is as up to date as I will get this week.

1. could not get lock screen to show AFTER widget locker, actually it would but it was WIDGET LOCKER, then MIUI lock screen, then stock lock screen. I couldnt get it to do WIDGETLOCKER -> LOCK SCREEN. Having to do 3 steps to unlock the phone was a deal breaker for now.

If I'm understanding this part right, what your looking to do is have widgetlocker on top of the miui lockscreen???

I use widgetlocker as my main lockscreen to so I tried to do what it sounds like what you want and to recreate what your seeing. I set it(in widgetlocker) to retain the miui lockscreen and then setup a lockscreen pattern and pin. The best I could come up with was the standard miui lockscreen to show its self. But then only for a fraction of a second or so.

2. Battery charge would not show correctly. I would have it plugged in and it would NOT show that the battery was charging. I couldnt tell if it was charging or not. Then when you unplug the battery level would not change at all, unless you restart the phone, then the "TRUE" value would show, and then then start lowering from there on. I had to restart after charging each time.

Did you try another kernel or charging to full then wiping battery stats???

I had the same issue when I updated from .3.18 to .3.25. If I remember right .18 had a SavageZen kernel and .25 had Tiamats 3.3.2 kernel. When ever you flash a new kernel its always good to do a wipe of your battery stats. Even when the kernel is baked in to the rom package.

3. Gmail would not sync properly. it would show a # at the time that i had (3) new e-mails but they would not actually show no matter how many times i refreshed.
I haven't heard if this one yet. Only things I can think of is maybe something got messed up in a backup you used. I can't remember if the Gmail app is included in the rom again. I know it was pulled out of the last 2.2 miui rom. Did ya try signing out of your accuont, then clearing data in app manager? Even uninstalling it and doing a fresh install? That might have helped.

I think I will wait a while and keep using 1.3 since i didnt have any problems with that. Except.... sometimes LAUNCHER PRO would not load and the MIUI launcher would take over for some reason. Even when I would assign PRO as the default launcher in the settings, and or even put BLANK nothing as default so it would prompt to ask. Usually I have to restart a few time to get it to work. But once I even has to reflash to get LauncherPro to work again.

I think this has something to do with Launcher on miui. I wanted to setup GoLauncherEx and had a hard time keeping it active. I would start setting it up and getting some Widgets placed and all. And everytime it would somewhat lockup on me. it wouldn't let me add, remove or stretch anything. Would just give me a toast warning saying something like page needs to reload, or something like that. I would have to completely uninstall it and reinstall it to make it work again. I email the devs about it but haven't heard back from them yet. The only thing I could think of is that GoLauncher isn't completely setup to run on gingerbread.

Also did you do a full wipe when coming from 1.3.25 to 1.4.1???

Miui is touchy as hell to install to begin with so I would have to say doing a full wipe of everything is a must. There was a couple of changes made to a few system files to get things like video recording to work.

Anytime a rom goes from (like miui) xx.3.xx to xx.4.xx that means there has been some serious changes made. I would just treat it like a new rom. Wipe everything really good and start from scratch.

In the long run you'll thank yourself.