Most Android Tablets are expensive toys

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The average person doesn't go to school or have a job? Are you mentally disabled? 500 million people use word alone. That's well over twice the amount of tablets that exist. You lose. You lose really, really hard. You've still provided no data or facts whatsoever to back up ANYTHING you've said. You'll certainly have to declare yourself the winner, because no one else will. Go back to Facebook, you don't need a brain there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

That fancy computer has google right? Look up the facts yourself.

Aside from business and school what do you personally use word for?
The average person doesn't use word.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
That fancy computer has google right? Look up the facts yourself.

I have, I posted them and they make it clear how hard you fail. The number of people who use word every day (and people use PCs for a lot more than just word) is well over twice as large as the number of tablets ever sold. Google also tells me that the majority of people either have a job or are in school. In your own words, that means the average person prefers a PC over a tablet. I don't know how you could fail any harder. Maybe you should try using Google yourself. As in before your post, so you don't end up look quite so idiotic.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I consider the surface to be more of a PC than a tablet. It's basically an ultrabook with a detachable keyboard. With the keyboard it weighs more than many netbooks and without the keyboard it's not nearly as productive. I'll certainly be buying one to replace my ultra book, however. I just wish they were making a 7 inch version as well.

..which is why the PC isn't dead. :)

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
No, no, NO! You have it ALL wrong!!!

In your effort to write off the Nexus 7 as an expensive toy, you completely miss the key aspect that makes it so extremely useful (to me, anyway): Offline content.

OK, so my frame of reference is very deeply rooted in a PDA past without 24x7 connectivity: I used PalmOS devices since the week they were first released, and when Palm dropped the ball in the PDA market, I moved to an iPod Touch. Hell, I didn't get a smartphone with a data plan until last year. Everything needed to be strategised to maximize access to offline content.

So now, enter the Nexus 7. If you try to use the Nexus 7 as a 24x7 always-connected device, you will be SORELY disappointed. In this case, you are really better off buying a 3G iPad or learn how to tether your Nexus 7. But if you view the Nexus 7 as a portable content device with occasional 'net connectivity, you will see it in a whole new light.

Come on folks, My Nexus 7 has 16GB (OK, 13GB after the OS) of storage. How much do I really need? I downloaded some music to it, saved some PDFs, saved several ebooks and magazines, and I have a small collection of games that I like. I now have a nice entertainment platform useful wherever I am regardless of available connectivity. Sure, you could call such use a toy, but then I leverage apps like Pocket, and I will have useful current content to read whenever I want. And if I want to or need to be productive, I can use any surprisingly robust apps like any of the decent Office suites (KingSoft, Docs to Go, QuickOffice, etc.) to view, edit, and create documents for personal and work use. Sure, typing isn't as easy as a "real" keyboard, but that's not why I have my Nexus 7. If I'm going to bang out lots of content, i'll be at a desktop or use a laptop with a real keyboard. My Nexus 7 is more for consumption than creation. So does that make it a toy?

And what makes it even better is that when you DO have 'net connectivity, you can update apps, calendars, newsfeeds, download more content, send and receive email, etc. Again, do you really NEED 24x7 connectivity with this kind of device? And if you do, there are solutions.

To me, it's a tool, not a toy. A pricey and possibly unnecessary tool? Possibly, but I certainly don't see it as a toy.

A sensible response - I like that and a structured argument - "consumption over creation" - You'd better register that phrase before Apple pinch it !

---------- Post Merged at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:59 AM ----------

You see - to the guy who called me a troll - what a interesting thread after all
Incidentially I'm typing this at my little place at the seaside on my Dell 430 with 3G, my Nexus can't connect, NO WiFi ! (oh wait here's a pub, YES it's got wi-fi...try it, oh no it's "ad-hoc" Nexus doesn't see it....isn't that where I came in ? GAME OVER I believe

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I do like the next generation of tablet PC, with flip-round, flip over, detectable screens, the screen becomes a tablet etc, that's the way things will go I'm sure, many people just like a "proper" keyboard, incidentally I saw one on TV were the buttons actually "rose"up from the tablet and then went flat when not in use.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
A sensible response - I like that and a structured argument - "consumption over creation" - You'd better register that phrase before Apple pinch it !

---------- Post Merged at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:59 AM ----------

You see - to the guy who called me a troll - what a interesting thread after all
Incidentially I'm typing this at my little place at the seaside on my Dell 430 with 3G, my Nexus can't connect, NO WiFi ! (oh wait here's a pub, YES it's got wi-fi...try it, oh no it's "ad-hoc" Nexus doesn't see it....isn't that where I came in ? GAME OVER I believe

And all the rest of us who, you know, actually HAVE A PHONE would have our N7s tethered and be happily surfing. Seriously, you have a tablet and a laptop with a mobile card, but no phone? I think that's your failing, not the tablet's.

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
And all the rest of us who, you know, actually HAVE A PHONE would have our N7s tethered and be happily surfing. Seriously, you have a tablet and a laptop with a mobile card, but no phone? I think that's your failing, not the tablet's.

I'm not disagreeing with that point of view. Maybe I thought the Nexus would be more useful as a single device. IF you have a fancy phone I can accept this is a "non-issue". The attraction (where I am) was that the WiFi was/is free, but many free hotspots aren't "free", ie they want something, or they are "ad-hoc" basic.

All I'm saying is the iPad supports "ad-hoc" WiFi "out of the box" but Android doesn't and there's no reason why it can't be made to. 3G/4G costs so having WiFi where you can use it and 3G where you can't is the "best of both worlds". When N7 gets 3G there'll be so many more sold, even if it makes them more expensive

Last edited:

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
But there are some 4G and 3G android tablets. That is one reason to get the Nexus 7, because you do not want to pay for a data plan.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing with that point of view. Maybe I thought the Nexus would be more useful as a single device. IF you have a fancy phone I can accept this is a "non-issue". The attraction (where I am) was that the WiFi was/is free, but many free hotspots aren't "free", ie they want something, or they are "ad-hoc" basic.

All I'm saying is the iPad supports "ad-hoc" WiFi "out of the box" but Android doesn't and there's no reason why it can't be made to. 3G/4G costs so having WiFi where you can use it and 3G where you can't is the "best of both worlds". When N7 gets 3G there'll be so many more sold, even if it makes them more expensive

You don't need a fancy phone, you can use a 3 year old budget device for goodness sake. Why would it be a issue to disallow an insecure connection method that just about no one uses? I find it bordering on crazy to proclaim it as bring important enough to make the N7 an "expensive toy". The question still stands? Do you really not have a phone? If so, WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING and spamming the N7 boards with this crap?

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
OP seemed to be upset because the N7 does not support ad hoc connection generated on his Linux based lap top. He ought to be more upset that (if) Linux does not allow generation of a real hot spot such as Connectify does with Windows7 machines. That being said the N7 or any current tablet will have limitations because of screen size and smaller amount of RAM.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No doubt they are a convenience. My N7 never leaves the house but I use it instead of grabbing my phone to read online, check bank accounts and pay bills, play some games. The price point for the quality was just right (iPad2 @ $399 or iPad3 @ $499 was just way too high). Being non-expandable I spent the extra for the 16 GB. Nice little device, not a necessity but nice to have around.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The average person is not a business and therefore doesn't need a PC. A tablet is a much better choice, and the trend toward tablets proves this. The personal PC is dead.

So what you mean is that people who want to play can do it on a tablet, but people who needs things that you don't need are not the normal use case.

You sound just like the OP of this thread. Enjoy your iPad, go watch Ironman2 or something. I have work to do, so I'll use a computer.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
You know, it's funny but a few weeks ago, I realized just how little I actually use a full PC outside of the office day job. A friend sent me a link to a video that was a wmv file. Afaik, there aren't too many options for playing it on android or ios so I kept telling myself I'd watch it next time I was on my laptop. Turns out that next time was close to two weeks later! Seriously surprised me.

I do my light spreadsheet work, photo editing, gaming on my iPad or nexus 7. Can't remember the last time I powered up Word for home use. So I dunno, maybe I'm a rare case? But I'm pretty much mobile only at this point.

Mongooze2

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The average person does not need microsoft word you still seem to be using business pc?s in your point. I'm saying for the average person outside of business and school, which is the majority of people, the PC is dead.

That its the fact. You lose. I declare myself the winner here. Tablets FTW

P. S. Paper is dead too.

You are wrong about the pc being dead. Sure for leisure and consumption the tablet and mobile phone is great but when it comes to productivity nothing makes more sense than the pc.

Like others have said, both the pc and the tablet are evolving. The asus transformer with the dock was a good example. And now the Windows surface is a perfect example of how tablets and pc's are moving towards each other: it's essentially a hybrid tablet/pc.

That's the direction I think the market is going. People like the portability of a tablet but they want the more robust set of productivity tools that currently are only available in a pc.

I love my nexus 7 but it's hard to do real work on it. I'll be picking up a surface tablet when they come out too.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably going to get "flamed" for this post. I've owned a Flytouch Superpad III for over a year, fun, clunky, rubbish battery life. I ebayed it and bought the new Nexus 7 last month. I'm not an Apple fan, think they are pricey and have always applauded Linux from the early days (text based Red Hat with Samba) for their stand against the mighty Microsoft. So at last, a cool, high spec Android device...

OK it's impressive, super smooth, fast responsive screen, good battery life - BUT I've come to the conclusion that without 3G or 4G, what's the point of a "portable" device that isn't that portable ?

I have an old Dell 430 12" laptop. It has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi as standard. I bought a WWAN card (Toshiba) for ?10 from eBay and a ?15 1 year internet T-Mobile SIM card. It works and connects to the Internet (almost) anywhere. Oh (almost forgot) it's got a SSD too !

My point ? - I tried to "tether" the Nexus 7 to the Dell using Wi-Fi to get the "best of both Worlds". Guess what ? Android tablets don't support "ad-hoc" wireless internet connection sharing. iPad and iPhones do (ironically they don't need to !)

I'm sorry, its a TOY ! and so is the Acer and so is the Kindle Fire. Until these support 3G/4G keep your money in your pocket !

You can take 5 minutes and enable ad-hoc on your Nexus 7.

Here's a link on how to do it...

How to Enable Adhoc WiFi on Android Tablets! | AndroidTabletHacks.com

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what the ad hoc wifi from the previous poster would give and would be interested as to how it works out. Connectify ad hoc on windows xp only gives wireless b. Some devices will not accept this wifi standard notably mentioned is the Kindle. Haven't tried it myself with my old xP machine.
Meanwhile another googled possibility I found was Hostapd which was stated to be the Linux Way to Create Virtual Wifi Access Point.
Also want to raise a question as to difficulty in connecting N7 to a WEP security wifi. My Blackberry Playbook connected OK but even after several tries I couldn't get my N7 on.