Moto 360 Keeps Turning Off. Please Help!

19sheltont

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Just to let you all know mine did the same about two weeks ago and had done daily since, turning off at 30%, and other random times. After a factory reset and letting it run out then a full charge it appears to have sorted it. I know it's a hassle but it's worth a try. I did this a couple of days back and seem to have a lot more battery left

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
FWIW mine started doing this after working well for a long time... For about a month I'd been using it in airplane mode as I was having phone issues and didn't need it reconnecting constantly, and then I reset it to pair it with my Pixel but neglected to do so immediately and actually left it on the setup screen for over a day.

Don't do that! It seems to have thrown battery stats way out of whack even tho it mostly sat on the charger. Once I actually paired it the thing kept shutting down at 80% and rebooting or not completing bootup. Left it on the charger overnight (now paired) while fearing the worst, since the XDA thread is full of people swearing up and down that these symptoms = bad Wear version update or bad battery.

Anyway, I guess I lucked out because mine is back to normal after being re-paired and run thru a full charge cycle. Woke up the next morning to a series of app install/permission messages on the watch and all has been well for two days of use in a row (with a charge in between obvs, I still manage to get a day of use with ambient & gestures on but only just so).

TL;DR: Abnormal behavior and shutting down minutes or seconds after boot with plenty of charge left isn't always signs of hardware trouble, and a full reset and repair is indeed worth trying. Sometimes an update or other things can knock battery stats way out of whack and the device doesn't know where it's at charge-wise. Other times it'll be a bad battery, YMMV.

Fluffykonijn

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Mine it is getting worse and worse. It is now schutting down like 10 seconds after i am taking it off the charging dock. Does anyone have a solution yet?

woodyalien

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Reading one-by-one, isolated, I would surely state you all have bad batteries... and me too.
But it is really weird that we all started reporting that same issue about same time - is it possible that we had a bad SW update to explain such bad behavior? Isn't it too much for a coincidence?

The issue I have is slightly different, though pretty much the same (what inconsistence lol):
Seems that, if I keep my watch on the wrist, it will work as used to, similar autonomy with one charge, and will keep working until battery level is somehow close to zero; BUT if I take it off and e.g. leave it on my desk for some time, it will "turn off" somehow and won't turn on again unless docked. In that case, docking is the single way to turn it on again, button long-press does nothing. Then once on again I see that the battery still has juice. But again, mine does not power off if on the wrist... or not yet.

And this behavior of mine is what triggered my thoughts about bad software instead of bad battery, single reason that made me search around and reach this forum - otherwise I would consider it just a battery in need of replacement.

hlws

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I agree with those that believe it must be a software or update issue. I haven't seen anyone say replacing the battery resolved the problem. Has anyone tried that?

hlws

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I also believe it seems to be a software or update issue, not a battery. Has anyone replaced the battery and had it resolve the issue?

hlws

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I agree with those who believe it seems to be a software or update issue, not a battery. Has anyone replaced the battery and had it resolve the issue?

robertdv

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
This issue with the watch randomly switching off and then refusing to come back on until it's been placed on the charger has been driving me nuts since early September. My watch worked perfectly up until Android Wear put out an update around that time. I've tried everything from a hard reset to reinstalling every Android Wear app. The watch consistently dies whenever I use Location services once the battery has gone down below 80%. It also powers off at 50% if I manage to get through most of a day without using Location services. I don't believe that all of our batteries suddenly died at once. It's too convenient that all these issues started directly after an update.

PelleBoA

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Been experiencing this for the past 6 months or something like that. As of right now the watch is completely useless. Any ideas?

faribeiro

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys!

I had exactly the same problem (random restarts) and strange marks on my screen. After few research I saw that the battery could be the problem so I a new one.

I installed it (around 25/30 minutes) and now everything is ok (my battery gets till 0%) and also the spots disappeared.
AFAIK the spots are a consequence of battery getting bigger (doing pressure on screen) after some time and several recharges (I have my watch for little more than 2 years and recharged it almost every day.

Hope this help. If you need more help feel free to ask!

Kay Drayton

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Reading one-by-one, isolated, I would surely state you all have bad batteries... and me too.
But it is really weird that we all started reporting that same issue about same time - is it possible that we had a bad SW update to explain such bad behavior? Isn't it too much for a coincidence?

The issue I have is slightly different, though pretty much the same (what inconsistence lol):
Seems that, if I keep my watch on the wrist, it will work as used to, similar autonomy with one charge, and will keep working until battery level is somehow close to zero; BUT if I take it off and e.g. leave it on my desk for some time, it will "turn off" somehow and won't turn on again unless docked. In that case, docking is the single way to turn it on again, button long-press does nothing. Then once on again I see that the battery still has juice. But again, mine does not power off if on the wrist... or not yet.

And this behavior of mine is what triggered my thoughts about bad software instead of bad battery, single reason that made me search around and reach this forum - otherwise I would consider it just a battery in need of replacement.

I completely agree, I'm having this problem too, I suspect they pushed an update that corrupted the watch based on hardware, I would even go as far as wondering if this was intentional to force users to upgrade. It's just too much of a "coincidence" that 22 peoples battery would be showing high charge but go bad at the same time.

Alphatech

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Ya my moto 360 sport has been doing the same thing, I'm thinking it's the software update by android wear. They really should use Samsung gear app

cobra977

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Same exact problem as others described. I ordered a replacement battery on Amazon for less than $20, which included tools required. It took about an hour of very tedious work to take it apart, replace the battery, and put everything back together. But it now works fine. No shutting down. And as another poster said, the screen discoloration is gone. The original battery was bloated to about double the thickness of the new one.

My back cover was cracked already, so in the process of removing it, it broke into 3 pieces. There does not seem to be a source for replacements anymore. So I'll probably just glue the 3 pieces back on and cover it with a body skin.

Diamond Garcia

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I have a 1st generation Moto 360. It turns off, and it won't power back on unless it is on the charging dock. When it turns off, it just goes to a blank screen. It does this even though it has battery life (e.g., 77%). Also if I manually turn it off, it won't power back on unless on the dock.

The watch and phone (Samsung S7 Edge) were unpaired, and a factory reset was performed. The watch still turns off after a few minutes to an hour, and now I can't re-pair the watch and phone. The phone and watch can't seem to see each other.
If this helps, I am running Andriod Wear 1.4.0.2580363, Play Services 9.4.52, and Andriod OS 6.0.1.

Thanks in advance. I could really use some assistance with this. Right now, my watch is useless. :(

Diamond Garcia

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hey. I'm having the same problem I'm guessing it's just getting to old. I've taken really good care of mine for years and it dose the same. I have it on and suddenly it turns off but battery is fully charged or half way. Even if I don't wear it it dose this. But mine began 2 months ago. So I am guessing that it's time to repair it or let it rest like it wantshould to.🙀

David Day4

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Same exact problem as others described. I ordered a replacement battery on Amazon for less than $20, which included tools required. It took about an hour of very tedious work to take it apart, replace the battery, and put everything back together. But it now works fine. No shutting down. And as another poster said, the screen discoloration is gone. The original battery was bloated to about double the thickness of the new one.

My back cover was cracked already, so in the process of removing it, it broke into 3 pieces. There does not seem to be a source for replacements anymore. So I'll probably just glue the 3 pieces back on and cover it with a body skin.

What is the Amazon link for this battery + tools?

cobra977

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What is the Amazon link for this battery + tools?

Here's the Amazon link for the battery I used. So far it's working great, with no shutdowns. It charges fast and seems to hold the charge better than the original when it was new.

Also, here's the body skin protector I used to cover the back. My plastic back was already cracked and broke into 3 pieces when I disassembled the watch to change the battery. Apparently, you can't buy replacement backs anymore. So I used this product to cover the back instead and it looks quite nice. I did not use the piece that goes around the side of the watch, but I did use the screen protector as well.

The whole project cost less than $30 and took about an hour, most of which was watching YouTube videos on how to take the watch apart. Very happy to have my Moto 360 back in action. I expect to get another 2-3 years use out of it.

aowald

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I hate saying this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. I actually have three Moto 360s and I see them often exhibiting these behaviors. I've been leering at the idea of changing out the battery considering the work that I'd have to look forward to - not impossible, but at the same time, why? I think I know now. I've been dealing with battery issues lately, not just on my watches, but my roommate's iPhone and my Moto X. I did some research online and used some apps to help me prove out what I'm finding. This perhaps boils down to charge cycles and the real amount of power you need for these electronic devices we use. I'm finding out that it almost does more harm than good to charge devices to full 100%; the same can be said for letting a device completely drain power to 0% - this might well explain why I'm having problems with these watches - I wear one on a particular day and leave the others on the charge until I put them on another day or time of the day. I'm now thinking they are taking way too much charge and the charge cycles eventually kill the batteries. These are rechargeable batteries after all. I read that it's best to keep devices as high as about 80% full and if it can be helped, no lower than 40% - I sorta wonder if that's the reason why when the 360 is initially synced, it suggests having power at least at 80%

I'm going to go the route of changing out the battery now that there's plenty of videos that explain how to do this. Glad to know that the yellowing on the screen is resolved by this as well as I've seen that too, and from what you [cobra977] mentioned about the battery bulging out leading to the crack in the back plate, I can see that being plausible. I've never really seen a battery being charged to the point of wanting to grow in size, but then again, I've not really ever kept a device on charge for as long as I've charged these watches on a regular basis.

I'll post back on here when I get around to getting these replacement batteries and see what the results are. I've seen these listed on eBay as well; a search for "Moto 360 Battery" brings up one listed auction at a comparable price.

This all being said, it's sad that the bootloader doesn't seem to offer any way to tell if the battery is really the issue. Some of you might be familiar that if you hold down the button on the 360 when it initially powers on and released it after the double vibrate, you access the bootloader. The screen tells if the battery is good (and I'm guessing "bad"), but I've never seen "bad" being reported by the bootloader. Maybe this needs to be advised to Moto.., Lenovo to update the firmware in the bootloader to identify if the battery is really bad.

And I guess one more question on this topic. I've already tried looking but wasn't able to come up with anything: does anyone know if there are any Wear Battery Health apps that would review stats on a battery to see how much degradation a battery has suffered and possibly advise if a battery truly needs to be replaced? That would be super helpful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001