Moto G USB Driver. Cannot connect phone to PC or Laptop

ParthaBarman

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Dear All,

I've received my Moto G 2nd Generation 3 days back. While everything is good but the problem is when I connect the phone to my Laptop, I cannot access the SD Card. Obviously, my Windows XP was missing the driver. So searched and downloaded the driver from the motorola website. The file got installed and then I restarted.

Now when I click on the Motorola icon, it goes into an auto update mode. Then I get a message after few minutes - "No updated Found", Present Version "N/A". I click "Ok" and the application gets terminated.

I tried searching for the driver through device manager and it can't search the driver.

I dunno if anyone else is facing this problem but would appreciate if you can provide me the driver so that I can connect my phone to my Laptop.

Thanks & Regards,
Partha Barman

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you connect the phone via USB, do you get a USB connection notification on the phone? If so, swipe down the notification shade and tap that USB notification. Make sure it's set to MTP. On your computer, open Windows Explorer--do you see Moto G listed as a device along the left side?

ParthaBarman

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey Thanks for your reply.

Yes I do see a notification when I connect the phone to my Laptop. I have checked the MTP option. In Windows device manager, there's the yellow error sign infront of my Phone device driver.

This is why I suppose Windows cannot connect to my SD Card.

Please help!!

ParthaBarman

May 3, 2012
Visit site
No. I haven't connected to any OS other than XP. I was wondering if anyone can provide me Motorola XT1068 driver which I can add to my XP? This will be of great help!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you install the driver from this site? https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/97326/p/30,6720,9050

You mentioned clicking on a Motorola icon--that might be some Motorola Update program on your computer that can assist you with system updates. Go to Windows Explorer instead, and see if the Moto G shows up in the list of device on the left.

If not, go back to Windows Device Manager, right click the Moto G device, and click on Uninstall Driver. Then unplug the phone from the computer, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in via USB. See if the computer goes through the automatic driver installation again.

ParthaBarman

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your responses. I contacted Motorola Customer Care and there I came to know that my Moto G 2nd Gen requires OS above XP to get connected to a laptop or desktop.
I tested my phone by connecting to Windows 7 and it worked flawlessly!
For some this might be a good thing but for XP users like me .. its certainly a con.

Anywho.. thanks for your valuable responses!!

vinodh93

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
My SD card is not opening in my PC even after connecting and selecting MTP option. I've checked by enabling and disabling the USB debugging option. I've installed drivers. I am using win 7 64bit OS. Can you tell me a solution?

Mike G4MIX

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem and found that my PC was missing a Windows update, KB970159.
Unfortunately I can't remember where I downloaded it from but seem to remember it was a German site. I just Googled 'KB970159'.
Hope this helps.

87300BLOND

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Good information, Mike G4MIX. I have XP SP3 and could not make a USB connection with the Motorola drivers (from the manager). I found KB970159 online (I do not know why MS does not seem to make it available) and immediately could transfer a file to my Moto G SD card.

PGMENON

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi, My 1st Gen Moto G stopped connecting with the PC (OS Windows 7 Home Premium), despite installing drivers recommended by the Motorola technical team! Please help! Thank you.

alanhayward

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I have given up trying to find an XP driver for my Moto G (XT1039), the Motorola software (Motorola Device Manager) is a joke.
Good luck with yours though...

Hassan Anwer

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I am having same issue for a very long time and I am not being able to find any solution regarding this problem and other problem with phone is that it is giving errors when ever I turn my phone there are lot of errors saying unfortunately system , gapps and all thins has stopped working anyone who ca suggest a proper solution to my problem because i have also tried to Hard reset my phone but when i click on Recovery option it says that phone boot up failed and after that i installed TWRP and CWM but there was no big difference the only difference that was made is that now my phone goto recovery and stucks at android logo

alexei2001

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was also having connecting a moto g phone to my windows pc.
I found allaboutmotog . com/moto-g-how-to-guide/how-to-connect-moto-g-with-pc-through-usb-cable-for-moto-e-and-moto-x-as-well/
which led me to the settings > storage and then the "vertical pipe"/settings icon in the top right hand corner. Then I tapped on "USB computer connection". Then toggling back and forth between "Media device (MTP)" and "Camera (PTP)" while my phone was connected to the pc via the usb cable, and suddenly it started working. I think that my usb cable is flaky.
Try using a different usb cable, or a different pc, maybe at a friend's house, or school, or work...

tsuyopon_64

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I was also having connecting a moto g(3rd) to my windows pc,windows10.
I have to reset the phone, I started without entering the account,do not want to install the backup.
When then connected to the PC,the driver is installed, it is recognized.

grekko44

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If the player is showing up in your Windows' Device Manager under "portable devices" with a yellow "!":

1.) Right-click the yellow "!" and choose "update driver".
2.) When given the option to connect to Windows Update, choose "no, not this time" and click next.
3.) Choose "Install from a specific location (advanced)" and click next.
4.) Choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" and click next.
5.) Click the "Have Disk" button. Browse to C:\Windows\inf and choose the file marked "wpdmtp.inf"
It may also help if you switch off USB Debugging if the above doesn't appear to help and repeat the process.

Last edited:

katen patel

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm not getting USB notification

U said that u will get USB notification on the top but I'm not getting in my moto g4 so how can I switch to MTP mode??