Moto X 2014 Pure Edition to Honor 8

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure I can turn down the deal on this phone but I'm kinda scared. I have a Moto X 2014 PE which is the only Android phone I've ever owned. I really enjoy pure android and all the moto features. So, my reservations are moving from my current phone to this with all I've ready about EMUI. I know and I can install Nova and configure as I like but I guess I'm worried. Anyone else come from a moto phone to the Honor 8? My Moto X 2014 suffers from the terrible battery issue so this phone sounds great but again I have some reservations although they may not be warranted. Any advice, tips or opinions greatly appreciated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There is a beta for nougat and that version of emui is very muted and much closer to stock.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Ive owned the Moto X Pure and I like the honor 8 much better. It has more performance and options. If you go Moto I'd get the Moto Z play or Moto Z. I had the Z Force and it was awesome.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ive owned the Moto X Pure and I like the honor 8 much better. It has more performance and options. If you go Moto I'd get the Moto Z play or Moto Z. I had the Z Force and it was awesome.

If you are on Verizon then the z droid is$120 on dpp , no service contract.

vinchendoh

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure I can turn down the deal on this phone but I'm kinda scared. I have a Moto X 2014 PE which is the only Android phone I've ever owned. I really enjoy pure android and all the moto features. So, my reservations are moving from my current phone to this with all I've ready about EMUI. I know and I can install Nova and configure as I like but I guess I'm worried. Anyone else come from a moto phone to the Honor 8? My Moto X 2014 suffers from the terrible battery issue so this phone sounds great but again I have some reservations although they may not be warranted. Any advice, tips or opinions greatly appreciated.
Why are you thinking about changing? What are you looking to improve on? Maybe the question can be answered better this way? What type of battery time are you getting?

Matt Manahan

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
What I like about the Moto X Pure: Big, beautiful screen. Front facing speakers. Feel in hand.
What I like about the Honor 8 (over the Pure): Fingerprint sensor, camera, battery life, speed

I wish the Honor 8 had a better speaker, but it's not a deal-breaker. I used the gestures on the Moto X to turn on the flashlight and open the camera, but with the Honor 8, you can program the same things with the Smart Key (fingerprint sensor). For me, the Honor 8 is all around a better phone, especially at the current price.

vinchendoh

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
The camera is awesome, it's not the greatest point and shoot, but if you can take the time to learn how to use the manual settings, it's a great phone for the money 👌

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm in need of a new phone. My X 2014 is 2 years old and I get 9 hours before I need to charge with light usage. It will die as soon it hits 20%. I'm a huge Moto fan but won't pay more than $450 for a phone. So, I'm giving the Honor 8 a shot. I couldn't pass up the sapphire blue 64GB for $285. I just really love moto display and gestures. This will be a new experience for me and my 2nd Android.

TonyHove

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

I had a Moto X Pure Edition before getting the Honor 8. For all the reservations I read about EMUI, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's actually one of the more consistent Android Skins out there (a lot of iOS 'inspiration' there for sure!) . It won't take you long at all to adjust coming from moto stock Android. Once you do adjust you will enjoy many benefits over your current Moto, namely one of the best rear mounted finger print scanners I've ever used (which as multiple functions), better battery life, better camera, and a few software tweaks that you can setup to your liking or disable. If you really can't handle EMUI, Nova or Action Launcher have your back so you can set it up just like your current phone. But I'd say give it a chance, you will be surprised how quickly you adapt and even start to enjoy it!!