Moto X (2nd Gen) Pure Edition XT1095: 5.0 Lollipop Update (22.11.6)

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I manually updated my Moto (i used the instructions posted on an XDA thread) and it was very easy. There was no data wipe necessary, but the author recommends wiping anyway. (i didn't!)
So far everything is working well, but Bluetooth stuttering is awful for me.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think they have stopped the OTA update because of bugs in the s/w. Pure on T-Mobile here & no update. I'm even still using the sim card Moto came with.

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I think they pulled the update as well. I don't think i'll have it by Monday. Maybe I'll just do it myself tomorrow night.

Posted via the Android Central App

tzac11

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried the new CFAR method. If so has anyone tried it on an XT 1097 ATT branded. Since we can't unlock our bootloaders through Motorola directly.

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I think they pulled the update as well. I don't think i'll have it by Monday. Maybe I'll just do it myself tomorrow night.

I'd advice you not to update yet.. Android L still has lots of bugs. There should be a reason why Motorola stopped sending OTA updates..

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I, for one, wasn't happy with the update. I mentioned it in an earlier post that I updated manually and I regretted it. (bluetooth stuttering was terrible was one of the reasons for regretting) Fortunately, I was able to revert to KK and now all is well.

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I, for one, wasn't happy with the update. I mentioned it in an earlier post that I updated manually and I regretted it. (bluetooth stuttering was terrible was one of the reasons for regretting) Fortunately, I was able to revert to KK and now all is well.

You never said you regretted it. Just that you're having some Bluetooth issues. I don't use any Bluetooth devices.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Based on the somewhat buggy soak/rollout to the PE Moto X I'm guessing it's going to be a good number of weeks (or more) before we see carrier rollout of 5.0 to the Moto X. I was thinking of waiting until I could get L pre-loaded before re-ordering, but now I re-thinking that. So I have maybe kind of a stupid question - if after OTA upgrading to 5.0 I do a full factory reset is the result exactly the same as if 5.0 was pre-loaded?

I remember reading somewhere on AC that a factory reset doesn't truly wipe all data, so I wonder whether likewise it doesn't fully wipe the previous OS and/or previously loaded apps. So I guess what I want to know is can you do a truly "clean install" of OTA 5.0 downloaded on a 4.4.4 Moto X?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So I have maybe kind of a stupid question - if after OTA upgrading to 5.0 I do a full factory reset is the result exactly the same as if 5.0 was pre-loaded?

I remember reading somewhere on AC that a factory reset doesn't truly wipe all data, so I wonder whether likewise it doesn't fully wipe the previous OS and/or previously loaded apps. So I guess what I want to know is can you do a truly "clean install" of OTA 5.0 downloaded on a 4.4.4 Moto X?

When you update to the new OS, it creates a new recovery partition. Doing a factory reset then will use the new recovery partition, and thus revert to 5.0. It's true that a factory reset doesn't completely wipe everything; there are still ways to get data off the phone after a factory reset. That should not be true for the system files, however, as they get overwritten in the process (as opposed to your data files, which are just erased and thus susceptible to recovery efforts).

As for getting the "cleanest" version of 5.0 on your phone without it shipping from Moto like that, I'd recommend sideloading Lollipop. That wipes the phone in the process, and is about as "clean" an install as you're going to get.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
As for getting the "cleanest" version of 5.0 on your phone without it shipping from Moto like that, I'd recommend sideloading Lollipop. That wipes the phone in the process, and is about as "clean" an install as you're going to get.

This is where, as they say, a man has got to know his limitations. I'm sure there are plenty of instructions and tutorials on how to do this and it's probably not rocket science, but I don't want to get involved with sideloading. I think a factory reset should be "clean" enough for my purposes, but always like guidance from people who probably know more than I do.

Just have a gut feeling that VZW Lollipop for the Moto X may not happen until early 2015. Also think that VZW's favorite pet Turbo will get it first, since they're doing everything possible to funnel Motorola buyers to that device. Happy to be wrong on both counts.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Just have a gut feeling that VZW Lollipop for the Moto X may not happen until early 2015. Also think that VZW's favorite pet Turbo will get it first, since they're doing everything possible to funnel Motorola buyers to that device. Happy to be wrong on both counts.

My gut feeling is the Moto X will get it before the Turbo, since the Turbo appears to come with more Verizon-branded software than the X does. Verizon was pretty quick to bring KitKat to the 2013 Moto X, and it won't surprise me if they beat AT&T to it again with Lollipop.

On another note, when I updated my 2013 Moto X to KitKat, I did a system cache wipe, and I never had any problems. I intend to do the same with Lollipop, but if a factory reset is necessary, I'm prepared for that too. Regardless, I never felt my 2013 Moto X had a "messy" installation of KitKat because it shipped with Jelly Bean - particularly since the X is pretty darned close to stock Android. I figure with the update to Lollipop my 2014 Moto X will do just fine. By the time AT&T rolls it out, some of the earliest bugs will likely be worked out anyway.

cshmech

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Because I think Motorola stopped giving updates as lollipop was making little problems. IMO it looks like a half baked OS.. Sure they had all the ideas, but looks unfinished

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45