Motorola drops Xoom order, No more Xooms after June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
you must be joking.

Really,
I wonder what prompted motorola to go ahead and release 'several next generation droids'

Analytics firm Flurry estimated that 250,000 Motorola Droid phones were sold in the United States during the phone's first week in stores. Flurry also estimated that 1.05 million Motorola Droids were sold in first 74 days of the launch.

Do you think that had the droid not been successful motorola would have gone ahead with android.

if the xoom brand fails motorola will abandon it and either start over with a new brand or focus on where their profits are, namely smartphones that are subsidised by carriers

Really? You think Motorola would know in less than 30 days how successful the Xoom is? Seriously.

Then think about the sprint branded Xoom image that has been floating around, furthermore, think about how the Wifi version hasn't even been released yet? Or maybe ponder, just for a moment how no Xoom has even shipped with a 4G module already embedded.

Then, think about android device life cycles and then think about tablet holiday sales and the fact that a product refresh 6 months before their current biggest competitor (Apple) release a new version (march/april of 2012) could be a huge boost for their platform.

It seems you're twisting the facts of some anonymous source article to fuel some troll-like anti-Xoom posts. I have no idea what your motivations are and really don't care.

It's not like some article with an uncomfirmed source changes the Xoom I have right now or any other version of it that will come out in the future.

What if the Xoom EOLs in June - does that make you happy? Does it make my Xoom cry? Give me a break pal, if you're anti Xoom then go some place else.

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Really? You think Motorola would know in less than 30 days how successful the Xoom is? Seriously.

Then think about the sprint branded Xoom image that has been floating around, furthermore, think about how the Wifi version hasn't even been released yet? Or maybe ponder, just for a moment how no Xoom has even shipped with a 4G module already embedded.

Then, think about android device life cycles and then think about tablet holiday sales and the fact that a product refresh 6 months before their current biggest competitor (Apple) release a new version (march/april of 2012) could be a huge boost for their platform.

It seems you're twisting the facts of some anonymous source article to fuel some troll-like anti-Xoom posts. I have no idea what your motivations are and really don't care.

It's not like some article with an uncomfirmed source changes the Xoom I have right now or any other version of it that will come out in the future.

What if the Xoom EOLs in June - does that make you happy? Does it make my Xoom cry? Give me a break pal, if you're anti Xoom then go some place else.

Thank you

Sander#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it was because this is the first "Google Experience" tablet? I think they only launched a particular amount of the Nexus One too and then stopped producing.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It does make some sense. I'm sure they started production back at the beginning of the year when we first saw them and been cranking them out ever sense. 6 months to produce hundreds of thousands of these is not too far from what they expect. Android is not about having one device that is going to compete with android, it is going to be the sum of all the tablets by Samsung and LG and who knows who else. Bought my zoom today and wont look back. This is after there's of the 8.9 galaxy tab came out. Too me being able to have LTE if I needed it and the promises of microsd made it a good purchase. Also getting it about $300 cheaper never helps. Got to love dummies on Craigslist

Sent from my Xoom

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Yes I do. Microsoft did with the Kin, so there is precedence for it in the industry.

regarding the sprint branded xoom, could be a surplus of units.
in regards to the wifi version and 4g, where does that fault lie except with motorola, not to mention the micro sd.

I am sure motorola is going to sacrifice their profits for the sake of the platform.
The tablet market is drastically different than the smartphone market (no more carrier subsidy for the majority of perspective tablet buyers) so your 'android device cycles is moot.

Why does it seem like Im twisting facts. Im sorry the xoom isn't succeeding according to the hype motorola drummed up around it.

You got me i'm a troll with an ant-xoom propaganda. I guess when you no longer have points you choose to attack the poster so, kudos

i guess my xoom doesn't count
2b6bd74b.jpg

Never said it did just posting about the motorola's plan about halting xoom's shipment in june. You do seem to get quite emotional about it.

if the xoom was eol in june it would curtail the possibility of a second generation.

I have no emotion regarding google motorola or other manufactures. Im into technology.

i quite enjoy my xoom. but you should understand the writing is on the wall regarding motorola's position on it.
Still can't wait to pre-order the sammy 10.1.

Last edited:

Sander#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I think Google spoke about that though, they did not want to link themselves to a particular brand because of the nature of their product (open source)

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I think Google spoke about that though, they did not want to link themselves to a particular brand because of the nature of their product (open source)

then why would they only release one "nexus" phone a year "linking themselves to a partincular brand"?

Sander#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
What I meant is, they don't want to stick to 1 brand, i.e. HTC Nexus One, HTC Nexus Two, HTC Nexus Three etc. They go between brands.

What I'm saying is, they develop a pure google experience with a particular brand to launch it, and then the other manufacturers adopt it. Then the next device that comes out, they will seek to develop with a different manufacturer.

That's just the way I see it anyway, I might be wrong :)

willray411

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The only thing the articles really leaves clues to is the original Xoom maybe replaced in the 2nd have of 2011 by the Xoom 2. Not the end of the device all together.

The only thing I have to say, is if they are setting up for a new Xoom 2, I'm not going to be interested to hear anything about it. The reason, because of the horrible way Motorola handled all the speculation about the Xoom 1. I was so excited after CES, then it was like a roller coaster on what was going to happen. Its $800, no its $1200, no wait, no wifi, no wait, 3G but with activation fee, no wait, its going to come out, no wait, no definitive date. I feel like the Xoom PR kind of destroyed my want for the tablet that I thought would be the best one that would ever come out.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I think some one is upset they can't buy a xoom. if u hate or can't buy it then move on please. the xoom will be around for awhile no matter what type of smear campaign that can be posted. as for the galaxy tab go ahead wait for it while they retool the processes to be more iPhone like. also carry more cables since it uses a proprietary cord. and don't expect a timely OS update. ill sit back and enjoy my Xoom

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
What I meant is, they don't want to stick to 1 brand, i.e. HTC Nexus One, HTC Nexus Two, HTC Nexus Three etc. They go between brands.

What I'm saying is, they develop a pure google experience with a particular brand to launch it, and then the other manufacturers adopt it. Then the next device that comes out, they will seek to develop with a different manufacturer.

That's just the way I see it anyway, I might be wrong :)

True but if google really cared about a pure google experience they would not restrict it to one manufacturer per cycle.
There would be an lg nexus, a sony ericsson nexus, a sammy nexus, and a motorola nexus, then let the consumer decide. Android is all about choice, I just don't like google choosing for me.

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Of course they're discontinuing the current model of the Xoom. They need to ramp up production of the Xoom with 4G built in.

They are not ramping up production for the xoom with 4g built in it.
the report states that there will be no more xoom manufactured after june.

Sander#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
True but if google really cared about a pure google experience they would not restrict it to one manufacturer per cycle.
There would be an lg nexus, a sony ericsson nexus, a sammy nexus, and a motorola nexus, then let the consumer decide. Android is all about choice, I just don't like google choosing for me.

I disagree here. They link it to a device to showcase it, they can't do that with all manufacturers. It is up to the other manufacturers then to deliver a "google experience". However, a lot of the manufacturers (HTC is a pretty big one) decide to throw their own skins on it which completely fragments the market.

Updates don't get slowed down by google, but by the manufacturers who think they can make the OS better by adding their own crap in :) =

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I disagree here. They link it to a device to showcase it, they can't do that with all manufacturers. It is up to the other manufacturers then to deliver a "google experience". However, a lot of the manufacturers (HTC is a pretty big one) decide to throw their own skins on it which completely fragments the market.

Updates don't get slowed down by google, but by the manufacturers who think they can make the OS better by adding their own crap in :) =

what do you disagree with?
I would rather all android phones be pure google experiences.
Google doesn't seem to share my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard