Multiple problems - Notifications delayed, Play Store downloads stuck, Some apps broken

jr154

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
No progress on my end either. The only fix so far has just been rebooting the phone, which fixes the issue for a few hours.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Chuck if I were you I would return the phone before it is too late to get your money back.
Hi, I have a Galaxy S10+ on Verizon in the USA.

Having a few major problems that I just can't figure out:

1. When I try to download apps from the Play store, the download gets to 99 or 100% but never completes the installation. The fix is to go into settings/apps/show system apps/download manager and "force stop." Then the installation will complete.

2. Some apps don't work correctly. For example the CBS Radio News app starts streaming audio, then stops a few seconds later. And the ParKing app sometimes records my location upon disconnection from my car's bluetooth, and sometimes it doesn't.

3. Notifications from all apps are totally unreliable. Sometimes they'll come right away. Sometimes not for hours, and sometimes all at once. And sometimes when tapping on a notification it will bring you into the app. while sometimes it will do nothing.

WHAT I TRIED:
Tried rebooting, clearing data and cache on problem apps.
Cleared data and cache on "Google", Google Play Store and google play services.
Cleared phone's cache partition.
Uninstalled and reinstalled broken apps.

I THOUGHT I FOUND THE SOLUTION:
All these problems went away a month or so ago when I logged out of my google account on the phone. Iogged back in and it all worked great! I thought the problem was solved, but now it's all happening again. Logged of the the google account and back in, but it's still broken this time.
AND:
I had similar problems with my Galaxy S7, and thought the new phone would fix these problems! Is it possible there's something wrong with my google account? How could I have the same problems on both phones?
I haven't yet tried a factory reboot on the S10+, but I did do it on the S7, and after working for a while, the problems came back.

Additional info:
Mobile data and wifi have strong signals.
No custom ROMs, not rooted or anything, just stock the way it came. Only downloaded apps from Play Store. Nothing sideloaded.
All battery optimization is turned off. Power mode set to "high performance."

I've looked everywhere for a solution but haven't come across anything that works. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

jr154

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
Chuck,

Do me a favor as a test. Turn off Wifi and reboot, and don't re-enable wifi. See if this helps. I'm beginning to wonder if it's an issue that manifests itself on wifi (though turning off wifi does not fix the issue for me, only rebooting does, it seems that the issue reoccurs once I am on wifi for a while.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I was having an issue with WiFi and found that turnjnv on Airplane mode plus turning on wifi worked better.

Didn't realize you could leave airplane and still have wifi on, but it can.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I hate to tell you this, but this happened to me on my Note 8 and I could never get it fixed. I ended up getting a Pixel 2 XL. Now I have a Pixel 3 XL. Waiting for the Pixel 4. Never had the issue reappear on the Pixels.

I was never able to solve it. I had 4 or 5 previous Notes (4, 5, 6 and for a month 7) and never had the issue.

I am on Verizon.

I searched high and low. There were a minority of people that had the exact issue. But it was few and far between.

I was debating switching back to the Note 10. But whatever bug this is (and candidly I think it's ties to the user Google account as I exhausted every other option), I am afraid it will reappear for me if I go back to the Note.

So my suggestion for you is a new Google account to solve it.

chuck95

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for trying, mustang 7757!

recDNA, I might try returing it. I wonder if Best Buy will be cooperative 6 months later.

jr154, I tried your suggestion of turning off wifi and rebooting, but it didnt help my notification problem.

Gayle, I might try what you suggested later, but I'll probably forget to turn airplane mode off when I leave the house!

Adam, I think you're onto something with the Google account. I'd make a new one but I have so much stuff associated with my current one. Do you know of an easy way to move calendar, docs, drive, maps, etc. to a new one?
Also, I thought I read a post where someone tried that and it still didnt help!

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
For testing purposes, just setup the phone as new, after factory reset/wipe, and create a new Google account.

Worry about exporting and managing later, if it helped.

At some point a clean slate without the baggage, like moving into a new house, and start fresh. Just did that with my desktop and amazing how well and smooth it runs!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for trying, mustang 7757!

recDNA, I might try returing it. I wonder if Best Buy will be cooperative 6 months later.

jr154, I tried your suggestion of turning off wifi and rebooting, but it didnt help my notification problem.

Gayle, I might try what you suggested later, but I'll probably forget to turn airplane mode off when I leave the house!

Adam, I think you're onto something with the Google account. I'd make a new one but I have so much stuff associated with my current one. Do you know of an easy way to move calendar, docs, drive, maps, etc. to a new one?
Also, I thought I read a post where someone tried that and it still didnt help!
Your welcome!
You can add another Gmail account, don't have to erase yours to flip flop between account and test the other .

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
No not great. I recall this being a workaround and not a fix when I was trying to solve my problem and this is what ultimately made me jump ship to the Pixel. You should not have to disable this app to have core functionality in your phone. Personally it would bother me more to disable this app than it would to start with a new Google account or switch phones entirely.

I even called Google about it before I jumped to the Pixel and spoke to a human. This was a pointless exercise because the human simply typed words into a computer to document it. here we are two years later and it appears not to be fixed based on your problem and the lack of a solution that could be found on the internet.

jr154

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
No not great. I recall this being a workaround and not a fix when I was trying to solve my problem and this is what ultimately made me jump ship to the Pixel. You should not have to disable this app to have core functionality in your phone. Personally it would bother me more to disable this app than it would to start with a new Google account or switch phones entirely.

I even called Google about it before I jumped to the Pixel and spoke to a human. This was a pointless exercise because the human simply typed words into a computer to document it. here we are two years later and it appears not to be fixed based on your problem and the lack of a solution that could be found on the internet.

The google app is not your google account - it's just things like the news feed and such. So I can live without it for a while. What I can't live without is my email notifications.

I agree though, it's ridiculous that this is a problem to begin with, and a problem that they have had BEFORE!

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
One more comment: Based on all available evidence at the time, and now somewhat corroborated by my own experience being on the Pixel for 2 years (I never tried the new Google account option), I believe this is some sort of combination problem between the Samsung Note phones and Google. Specifically, I think it is rooted in the hardware and or software security layers on Samsung Note phones that might be different than the hardware and or software security layers in Google phones. And it only affects some people so it is some weird combination of events just describe that has a commonality with the specific Google account.

it is incredibly frustrating and one of the technology problems in my lifetime that I was not able to solve to this date.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The google app is not your google account - it's just things like the news feed and such. So I can live without it for a while. What I can't live without is my email notifications.

I agree though, it's ridiculous that this is a problem to begin with, and a problem that they have had BEFORE!
I agree with you. My point being that I purchased an Android phone to enjoy the Android operating system and the Google app is part of the core functionality.

chuck95

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Wow, this is working for me so far... but yeah, I hate to lose the ability to use the google assistant. Grateful for now though!

chuck95

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Seems to be. At least for now! Google play apps install correctly, notifications work so far. One of my two broken apps is working again. Not sure what the deal is with the CBS News Radio app though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok most are fixed ,very good and Interesting that Google app effect has.
Seems to be. At least for now! Google play apps install correctly, notifications work so far. One of my two broken apps is working again. Not sure what the deal is with the CBS News Radio app though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174