My Droid X constantly drops down to 1X, rarely has 3G

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard of that code before. Is it the same as *228 option 1 (activation) or *228 option 2 (update roaming capabilities)?

It does the same thing, but it does away with the manual prompt. It is a short cut that Verizon uses.

You can also use *22899. Same thing.

lesscryptic

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
it got so bad i did do a factory reset. changed nothing.

the guy on the phone said hed have a stock of replacement phones coming in today. if that ends up being bs i guess ill go to the store and hope they dont try to bs me (some areas 3g looks fine, so hopefully it drops to 1x at the verizon store and i can prove theres something wrong with the phone)

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Regarding wifi vs. 3G: Can I get confirmation on this? Should 3G be disabled when wifi is active or not? It was disabling it for a while but sometimes it comes back. If I cycle airplane mode 3G then goes away.
Is this an issue?

condr67

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. Did a hard reset and that did nothing. Was on the phone with Verizon for almost one hour. They issued a "ticket" for my area for the service to be checked out. Also Motorola is supposed to call me(as per Verizon rep) because I am having issues with my WIFI. Now here is a question, when you have your WIFI enabled, are you still supposed to see 3G or 1X? When I have my WIFI on, I still see 3G or 1X and I was under the impression that one cancels out the other?

lesscryptic

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
when my wifi is on and im connected to a wifi network, i dont see 3g or 1x, i see the bars for wifi

if ive just got the wifi on but im not connected to a network, i see 3g/1x

replacement phone comes tomorrow, hope its not refurbished...

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I did a hard reset (really really frustrating) and it seems to have cleared up, completely. Now, on my account it is "noted" (as per the Verizon rep) that my phone is broken so I can get a new one at any time.

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
thats pretty odd

my phone was on 1x within 30 seconds of completing the factory reset

Mine was as well, and I did that while on the phone with CS, so I told him what happened, hence why I can get a replacement if I choose.

Obv the op has Steve Jobs hands

The iPhone just completely loses a signal. My X still allows me to make texts and calls, just nothing using data.... which seems to be every other thing on this phone.

TootNBerry

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Mine has done this a time or 2 lately and sucks im gonna have to get a replacement if it continues at this pace.. I would want a brand new since its only a few weeks old.

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I was told by the Verizon CS guy that because I haven't had the device for 30 days yet, I can just go in the store and get a BRAND new one, because it would be handled as an exchange and not a replacement.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
FYI,
I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech support and was told that, when Wifi is enabled, 3G may or may not stay on depending on your signal strength.

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the Droid 1, mine does a lot of switching from 3G to 1X. I used to have a Blackberry and it was almost always on 3G all the time.

It sometimes depends where I am, but other times it seems just finicky. I've had my Droid since December, it's always been this way.

impostor71

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible that the drop to 1X is due to your location? I work in a converted warehouse/factory into an office bdg. My old AT&T iphone would drop 3G constantly 3-4 times a minute. With Verizon's DX, I get about 3-4 drops thru the day and it depends a lot on if I walk to an area of the bldg with lots of metal pipes, wirings, etc...

lesscryptic

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It drops to 1X in locations all over the DC metro area, in situations where the Incredible never did. Certain locations are worse than others, so, yeah, it is location based, but other than this thread, I hadn't read any reports that the X should get worse 3G reception than the HTC phone, and the Verizon CSRs seem to think it's a problem, too.

I'm ready to admit I made the wrong decision in switching phones at this point, but I'm gonna make them send me a new battery and see if maybe that fixes it, just for posterity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo