Hello Everyone! I'm a proud new Android owner.

anon(10620107)

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody! My name is Matt. Really excited to join this forum. I just recently purchased a Galaxy Note 10 + and a Windows based PC. I am a reformed Apple fanboy...and by apple fanboy I really mean it. I got my first apple product when I was 8 years old. It was an original iPod. From there I can't even begin to tell you how many apple products I've had. I had an original motorola droid in 2009 before the iphone came to verizon. Then I went through an iPhone 4,4S,5,5S,6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus, X, and finally an XS Max...I know lol. Before I got the X I tried a Note 8 for a week and a half and just couldn't get used to it so I returned it for an X.

I don't splurge on anything in life really except I like getting a phone every year. That's my one luxury. I can wear the same clothes and socks for 5 years but for some reason I just like upgrading my phone every year haha. I apologize for my grammar and punctuation as I have a mild cognitive disability, so I apologize if I lose my train of thought on occasion, or my punctuation or grammar isn't perfect.

So if i'm such an Apple fan what brings me to this forum? Well the long marriage between me and Apple had finally become toxic. I had a 2016 MacBook Pro with touchBar and it has been having tons of issues with the keyboard mechanism. Keys getting stuck and the keyboard popping sound...next to no keyboard travel. I didn't have applecare plus but I went to an apple store and they said they could fix it but it wasn't covered under the keyboard program of which on the website it said the 15 inch 2016 model was covered under the program. It may have been an issue with the individual store but they were quite rude to me about it sort of brushed me off. I was really upset because of all the money my family and I have exchanged with them over the years.

That's the only hardware issue I've had over the span of dozens of apple products but it goes deeper than that. I just got tired of the proprietary nature of apple products. The lightning port. iTunes. Siri. Removing ports and selling dongles on the laptops. Not being able to change default apps. Having to do things apples way. Lack of microsd card slot. Lack of customization, and finally the vanilla operating system. iOS has been very similar since iOS 7 and I feel most of the innovation is coming from Android now. The true reason I switched was pure boredom. Essentially 6 years of using the same phone it felt like despite upgrading yearly. I found the reason I returned my Note 8 within the exchange period...it was being so locked into apples ecosystem. So I also like to game so I got myself a Windows based PC with an RTX 2070. I've found similar integration with Android and Windows as I had with iOS and Mac. I didn't know about airdroid when I had the Note 8 so I was very unhappy with it. Not the phones fault though.

I'm about a month and a half into having an android and windows based pc and i'm ecstatic. I've found notifications on Android to be so much better than iOS. Also love the always on display, widgets, customization, micro sd card slot, side panels, fast charging, you get the point. A LOT more flexible than iOS was. The only thing I haven't really used much is the S Pen. It's neat but I just won't use it much. Probably could've gone with an S10 Plus. About the only thing i'm missing is Face ID. I personally prefer Face ID on the iPhone to the ultrasonic fingerprint reader on the Note. I didn't realize what I was missing out on blindly buying apple products over the years. I'm not devoting myself to a lifetime of windows or android, but I am opening myself up to finally taking a look at every manufacturer and OS and buying what I think is the best. If apple starts innovating with iOS again then you never know..I have a strong feeling in a year or two my next phone will still be Android. Competition is good for us all as consumers. Sorry for the long rant I just wanted to explain my thought process and introduce myself.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!
Enjoy the new tech and have fun!

Sent From my TARDIS Blue Note 9

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
We love long posts! Welcome to Android Central, Matt! Lots of users here have used both Android and iOS - welcome to the club! Enjoy yourself around the forums!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Good read, and great introduction. Welcome to Android and the forums. I made the move a long time ago. I moved from the iPhone 4 to the LG Optimus G. Never looked back. And, Android's become SO much better since then. I also had the Nexus 5, LG G4, G5, Galaxy S8 and currently the S10. The Honor 8 is in a drawer somewhere.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums and to Android. You got a great phone in the Note. Bang for buck that is the best phone out (even though I rock a Pixel 4xl). I used to like Apple as well but I went off it a couple of years ago after my iPhone 6s stopped working properly. I managed to fox it myself, but I have it and my apple watches away to my aunt and her family. I still have an iMac 2012. My daughter uses it for Final Cut Pro.

I found iOS tedious and boring. My iPad is running the latest version on beta.

Enjoy your time here and your new phone. Any queries please ask us and thanks for the long post.