My first Nexus

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
This isn't going to be a lot of new information since this phone has been out for quite a bit, but I think I should say something current since 7.0 hasn't with it.

I've owned only carrier branded phones for so long.. Going backwards in just this year, I've had 2 LG v10's, a Galaxy s7 edge, a Note 5, a Galaxy s6 Active so I have had some different perspectives of the various OEMs offerings.

I'll preface this with saying I am fully understanding of rooting and custom roms so I know how to change things up when available..

For this phone compared to all I have owned this year and past I am really kicking myself for not getting one of these before. It is that good especially with 7.0 now.. Yes I know the battery life is subjective, but I have never had a new phone hold as good as a charge going through 3 updates (from May of this year) to a complete new OS and still be at 89% let alone several phone calls with BT and searching Amazon and ordering things. I am pretty happy with the performance of this so far and before I updated everything I started adding back my apps soon as soon as I turned it on.. I did take everyone's advice and cleared the cache partition after each update and I too will recommend anyone doing this right away..

Right now this phone has zero lag.. I am bugging out over this, irregardless of any Samsung fan says, every one I have owned this year lags as well as all other Samsung phones.. They can try to shovel it to someone else.. They have to experience a phone that doesn't lag to actually know I say..

The camera is okay from the 3 pictures and 1 video I have tried and doesn't look near as bad as some folks say.. You just need to have a steadier hand, that's all..

Speakers.. FRIGGING WOW.. I am impressed.. I had a great phone last year, the M8, these are better to my ears.. Sorry Boom Sound fans..

The display.. I had this phone side by side with my Note 5.. The colors and the blacks look better on this phone and just as good as the s7 edge. That sRGB setting really works great and gives a excellent balance between making colors pop and natural.. Impressive to say the least.

Build quality.. Well while there are those who actually feel a glass back phone is the only " Premium design" and bemoan the lack of one and belittle it because of this in any review or blog or (ahem AC ") website, they don't have a clue what premium is.. Premium in a phone, goes well beyond trying to appease a sponsor, or appeasing I phone converts to a Samsung galaxy.. way beyond.. This phones build quality makes it" Premium ".. The screen is perfectly flat with it's bezel whereas any of the latest" edge" screens are not nor can the various vendors of glass screen protector build their products because of the variances of those screens as what I have been told when I asked them. The rest of the phones build is immaculate with it's gaps for the metal and frame. That makes this phone "premium" by real world measuring.

The OS.. I have heard and made just about every excuse and examples of why xxx is better or zzz is better... Look at all of those features they offer... Sure enough they do have a good amount of features but do you really need them? I hardly ever used a fraction of of them, and while I know many that do, there are just as many people who are just like me in this regard, and I personally know a butt load of people who don't know how to use them, and just bought because of a fancy commercial... These aren't tech heads but just everyday folks from all walks of life. Having this phone, with this OS is a breath of fresh air.. No lag, no carrier bloat, fully customizable with the latest and greatest version of Android... It's amazing..

My cons are practically nill.. and really isn't a con at all IMHO.. It's slippery, just as I expected it to be, and as such needs more attention given to holding on to it while naked. I have 2 cases coming.. One a Grey Spigen and the other a real leather shell type along with a couple of tempered glass screen protectors to use, so I will have it protected asap. I could get by with out a case,if I wanted to and never worry about it being a finger print magnet... Lol

Call reception is excellent on AT&T network, it switches extremely fast between wifi and cellular signals and BT is excellent for using in my 2015 Chevy High Country.. It locks in faster than any other phone I have had this year.

I've got a lot of tweaking to do yet.. I plan on trying Nova Prime on it with several of my paid for icon packs and to have my transparency and dark theme throughout it... also will eventually root and rom it or xpose and busy box.. But that will be in a few months since I am waiting for what shows up in the developer previews since that's how I got 7.0 instantly on signing up for it.. Went without a hitch BTW... Eat your hearts out non Nexus owners... Lol

That about wraps this up.. I'm glad to be in the club...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow you picked a good one for the first Nexus. My first was the galaxy nexus, the not really real one that's really a nexus on Verizon (Toro!) The gnex helped build some patience. And anger issues. And then patience. I've had every Nexus except the Nexus 4 and I'm inclined to state that, to date, the 6P is by far the best one that's been released. Glad you're enjoying it!

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow you picked a good one for the first Nexus. My first was the galaxy nexus, the not really real one that's really a nexus on Verizon (Toro!) The gnex helped build some patience. And anger issues. And then patience. I've had every Nexus except the Nexus 4 and I'm inclined to state that, to date, the 6P is by far the best one that's been released. Glad you're enjoying it!

Yup.. I think I got a winner

HollowGrapeJ98

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
It's my first Nexus too. At first, I had doubts because I'm used to smaller phones, but I'm getting used to the size. It makes reading and watching videos much more enjoyable. And the display is fantastic. I love the colors and how sharp it is. And ohhhhh the speakers. It blew me away when I first played a song on it! Front facing speakers are heaven! I also can't wait for Android N. Gonna be awesome! Now I love Nexus. Don't think I can go to anywhere else now. Unless mine dies or something and I gotta get something cheaper to replace it... But that won't happen, right? Heh... I hope not.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree..have just ,due to a bad turn of events,cracked my 6P screen.Gutted doesn`t come near how i feel. Since the 6P came out there have been a myriad of smart phones released, I`m not even going to try and list them! You know what...I`ve immediately ordered another 6P because it is just sooo good.Welcome to the brilliant Nexus 6P club!!

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. This is my first and probably last Nexus phone. It is quite awesome phone. I've have Nexus tablets, but the 6p is a joy to use.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well I do hope Google doesn't mess too much with the new ones coming out this year, because if they do I suspect finding a new 6p will be like finding hens teeth... And I am sure I will want to get another one to be my backup

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
This was my first Nexus as well. I've been super impressed with both the 6P and Project Fi. I'm not looking to upgrade to another device until 2018, but when I do it will almost certainly be a Nexus. There's some trade offs and sacrifices I'm willing to make, but there's also some that I'm not willing to make. Slow/non-existent security updates and bloatware are sacrifices I'm not willing to make, which makes the Nexus line the obvious choice.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
This was my first Nexus as well. I've been super impressed with both the 6P and Project Fi. I'm not looking to upgrade to another device until 2018, but when I do it will almost certainly be a Nexus. There's some trade offs and sacrifices I'm willing to make, but there's also some that I'm not willing to make. Slow/non-existent security updates and bloatware are sacrifices I'm not willing to make, which makes the Nexus line the obvious choice.
True enough.. But if you read the headlines here you'll see something about the Nexus line going away...

Nate Silver

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Mine will be here in two days, can't wait! Coming from LG V10, and also have an old Note 4 and an old Icon (I tend to switch them around a lot). The V10 is a great phone and I haven't had any issues with it, but I've never been able to say that I 'love' it. The Icon, I do love to death, but WM 10 has been such a barely controlled train-wreck, I get tired of the freezes, glitches, etc. Thought about waiting for the next Nexus, but I'm not super impressed with HTC, and rumor has it that the price is going to be getting up there more in line with the other flagship phones, so I figured this might be the time to give it a whirl.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine will be here in two days, can't wait! Coming from LG V10, and also have an old Note 4 and an old Icon (I tend to switch them around a lot). The V10 is a great phone and I haven't had any issues with it, but I've never been able to say that I 'love' it. The Icon, I do love to death, but WM 10 has been such a barely controlled train-wreck, I get tired of the freezes, glitches, etc. Thought about waiting for the next Nexus, but I'm not super impressed with HTC, and rumor has it that the price is going to be getting up there more in line with the other flagship phones, so I figured this might be the time to give it a whirl.
Boy are you in for a treat........ This phone is night and day different from the v10. While I loved the spare battery on the v10, I was really irked that I had to swap it out as often. Some of it was 1 battery was going bad, but even a brand new one didn't help a great deal after MM was forced onto the phone by AT&T... The Dac was great on it, but it sucked juice as fast as a 429 Cobra Jet would... Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174