My Honest G4 vs S6 review

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
BTW, battery life on my S6E (unlocked, non-carrier branded, international one 925F, running on AT&T is great).
Here are some screen shots of today, so far, taken just a while ago.
I'm going to easily get 5 hours of SoT with around 23 hours of battery time by the time I finish with it in a while and charge it.

:)
Fred

Screenshot_2015-07-09-20-27-11.jpg
Screenshot_2015-07-09-20-27-33.jpg
Screenshot_2015-07-09-20-27-40.jpg

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Until you get screen burnins known for Amoled.
+whites of the S6 are pink
+You will notice board traces on the S6 screen under sunlight

I have the Active and have none of the above.

The I don't leave my screen on a static image long enough to get screen burn.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I've never had a burn in problem on my previous Samsung, a S4.
Also, the whites on my S6E that I have now show no pink, pretty much snow white.
Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of the Amoled screens, not because of any problems as such, but because everything on them look "flat". The LCD screens have some "depth" to their look, but that's the only reason for me. As I mentioned I have now and use as my DD a S6E.

Fred

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
BATTERY LIFE:
I tried everything installing several different battery saving software, greenfy etc…. Nothing worked! I would reset the cache partition about every 2-3 days (will get into that later). It could have been I had a defective device but seriously doubt it With the S6 I ALWAYS found myself looking at the battery and closing apps, running sweep master, doing battery saving things!

Please do your self a favor and be very careful about using those kinds of apps in the future. A lot of them especially the ones that claim to manage your RAM are more or less snake oil.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Awesome review. I bought the G4 and had a hard time with the screen colors coming from the Note 4. I guess the Amoled screens just pop more and as long as I didn't look at them side by side I was ok. Then I got a great deal on a S6 Edge 64gb it's really tough between the two phones. I think the detail of the pics is better on the G4. The S6 just feels snappier than the G4, not that it's a slouch but just doesn't have that zip the s6 has. Battery life goes to the G4 by a big margin. Only reason I picked up the G4 was I got tired of the bigger phone and wanted something smaller, problem is the G4 isn't that much smaller than the note 4, and once you get a case on it it's about the same size.

Ronb22999

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for a great review, I am happy with my g4 was wondering if to go to the 5 then the 6 arrived guesss I will now await the 6+ sorting out some teething problems. I take a fair pic with my g4 and can "fiddle' with the settings.
So wouldn't get the 6 for the Camera alone. Again thank you for taking the trouble to give that review
RonB:D:D:D

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for a great review, I am happy with my g4 was wondering if to go to the 5 then the 6 arrived guesss I will now await the 6+ sorting out some teething problems. I take a fair pic with my g4 and can "fiddle' with the settings.
So wouldn't get the 6 for the Camera alone. Again thank you for taking the trouble to give that review
RonB:D:D:D

Ya I'm defintaly waiting for the s6+ or Note 5, from what Im hearing is they will be released at the same time. If that's the case I will be getting the Note 5. If the Moto X comes out before then I might get that. Oh the joys of the Jump on demand!

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Please do your self a favor and be very careful about using those kinds of apps in the future. A lot of them especially the ones that claim to manage your RAM are more or less snake oil.
Your 100000% correct once I deleted all those "Ram and battery saver" Apps the S6 ran better and had more battery life. Honestly I think your right there just snake oil and advertisement apps!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Your 100000% correct once I deleted all those "Ram and battery saver" Apps the S6 ran better and had more battery life. Honestly I think your right there just snake oil and advertisement apps!

Never install those apps. Like what he said, they're snake oil and they really don't do what they're advertised to do. In fact, I had Clean Master on my old S3 and it turned it into a tortoise.

Android already makes good use of RAM by filling up every inch of memory it can. This way, apps can start up more quickly. It isn't like a Windows PC, where more usable RAM is essential.

Using a RAM killer means that Android is forced to reload those apps back into memory, slowing down the phone. Not to mention the storage option in the Settings app allows you to clear the cache.

Same goes for the battery saver apps.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Until you get screen burnins known for Amoled.
+whites of the S6 are pink
+You will notice board traces on the S6 screen under sunlight

The whites are actually warmer.

I put it next to my G4 and the S6 has a warmer color temperature while the G4 is cooler by comparison.

Cozmohoot

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Can't decide between the g4 and s6. I really want wifi tether which s6 has but I am coming from g2. Love knock on and drop down icon on the bottom... What to do

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Trying to make my final decision based on review & comments here. If I did go the G4 route after using Samung's for years, how difficult is it going to be to transfer 3rd party apps, etc from an S4 to the G4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wai Kong Pang

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
/

Can you switch between apps without reload ? and there's no aggressive ram usage like 90% used all the time ?

I thought the high percentage of RAM usage in Android is a explained thing? Basically the Android architecture will occupied the RAM eventhought the app is not in used.

You can find a lot of article that explain this... it was a wrong perception that lower the RAM usage is better... which we are custom to (from Windows environment)

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
New G4 owner for two days - have to say I love the phone so far - I have not been bothered by touch lag although my S4 was getting pretty laggy there at the end so I'm not unbiased. I switched to the Google keyboard and it works nicely. And the battery life so far has been INSANE - yesterday I beat it up by reinstalling all my Google Play apps at once, so I used 40% of the battery in about two hours, but today I've had it on for seven hours so far and it's still over 90% - on weekends I don't spend a lot of time using the phone, but still that is amazing - the S4 would be down to 70% by now, just reading emails and taking a couple of photos. And I instantly liked the button on the back. All in all I am really happy with it. YMMV of course.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a personal S6 and work have me a G3. While the LG is nice, I can't get past the LCD screen and finger print scanning. Even with G4 updated specs, I would still chose the S6 in the end. Glad you found a phone that better suits your needs.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d