My Honest G4 vs S6 review

Ryan Wallace

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I'm using the stock launcher, stock browser, stock theme, most stock apps and keyboard (no svoice of course) and a few google apps, and this phone is running even better than when I got it on April 22. I've gone weeks without rebooting and I've had 0 slow downs or lags. The S6 has been a consistently smooth device with great battery life for me. It's just a shame that others aren't experiencing the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

nbr1sportsfan

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for this review
I've had the S6 for about a week now and have been increasingly frustrated with the battery life. Seeing it go from 100 to 60 in about 90 minutes doesn't give me confidence that i can handle having it for 2 years - especially when that battery will eventually not handle a full charge.
I can't get past the battery life to truly test much anything else and am now convinced i need to return it...
thank you

himanon101

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I don't get it how can basically half the people say they have no issues and the other half are like you and me? I would give it another shot with the new moto or wait until the 5.1 update and see if that helps

The lags and occsional hangs are due to a memory leak issue prevalent in android 5.0. LG G4 runs 5.1 so it can't be seen there. The new update fixes this.
By the way how is the multitasking on S6 ? Are you experiencing redraws and reloads during switching apps ?

himanon101

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Wonder how many people who have the ram problem are using carrier phones, maybe if Verizon in particular....
I have an unlocked, non-carrier, international S6E using it on AT&T (has factory rom, not AT&T modified rom and no AT&T bloatware, since it's a non-carrier branded phone) and I have no problems with mine at all.

Fred
/

Can you switch between apps without reload ? and there's no aggressive ram usage like 90% used all the time ?

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Let me preface by saying this is MY opinion so if you don't agree with something that I said please don't tell me I am wrong, its the way I feel so it cant be wrong to me ( Oh wow I sound like my wife!!!!! :) ). So I have had both phones the S6 for a little over a month and G4 since release day. Hopefully this will help some people who are still on the fence or who are wondering the differences between these 2 flagships

SCREEN:
This is when the S6 shines. Its easily the best screen on a smartphone I have seen, IF YOU LIKE THE AMOLED type of displays this is hands down the best. There is really nothing negative you can say, If you dont like the "punchy" colors you can change the display settings. If I didn’t ever see the S6 display and only saw the G4 then the G4 would have won that title. I have had the Note4, HTC M8 and the Nexus 6. A good way of looking at the G4 screen is it would be the middle setting of the Samsung settings. Not quite as “punchy” as the amoled cinema setting but more “punchy” than the basic. Im a huge fan of the amoled displays and the LCD is the one that comes closest to reproducing the contrast you see on Samsung displays. The S6 gets extremely bright in outdoor auto settings, the G4 not as bright but bright enough you will not complain.

BATTERY LIFE:
As good as the S6 screen is that’s how BAD the battery life is. I know some people have had good battery life with the S6 unfortunately I was not one of them. I tried everything installing several different battery saving software, greenfy etc…. Nothing worked! I would reset the cache partition about every 2-3 days (will get into that later). It could have been I had a defective device but seriously doubt it With the S6 I ALWAYS found myself looking at the battery and closing apps, running sweep master, doing battery saving things! And yes I did all the tips and tricks mentioned in these forums and other forums. Yes I know the quick charging is fast WHO CARES!!!! I want my damn battery to make it at least a day! My experience with the G4 was complete opposite, I had the same apps same things running and the G4 would get me through the day with ease, I can even turn up my brightness and turn on location settings to high. It was truly a night and day difference. I never once when I left my house with a full charge had to worry about not having enough to make it the whole day. Bottom line is the G4 battery was way better FOR ME than the S6.

Software/Performance
Oh Samsung when are you going to get this right???? I wanted to like the new Touch Wiz sooooooo bad. The first few days I had the phone it was AMAZING just flawless performance ZERO lag everything was snappy and almost instant. Then a week went by, then 2 then 3 and my phone was acting like a old Pentium CPU that couldn’t handle all the stuff you put on it. There were times when I would hit my home button and after what seemed like 5 minutes but was actually @30 sec later my home screen would show up! I think this is called redraw? From my experience if you add widgets and load up your screens the phone almost becomes a brick I would have to run my screens like a Icrap and have nothing on them. This is where every 2-3 days I would reset the cache partition and it would run fine then start acting up again. I read that this could possibly be a lollipop problem or the way Samsung handles memory. I tried it all, turning on developer options and limiting background process then went back to standard, nothing worked. I can honestly tell you that this phone went from being almost perfect to almost unusable! And yes I tried Nova, M launcher and every other launcher and got the same result. This really sucks because I really liked touch wiz and the new themes.
Once again COMPLETE opposite experience with the G4, this phone has run the way the S6 did when it was running flawlessly. I have all my widgets hell I even have Live wallpaper and it runs like nothing it on it. I know its weird because I read that peoples G4 is laggy etc. I have 0 need to want to add a launcher at this point. The G4 has acted the same as it was day 1. Very impressed with the LG skin and the optimization , goes to show you its not the sheer numbers but how the software and chip work together, and I hate to admit it Icrap has been proving that for years.

Camera
I LOVE THE S6 camera it is amazing! Some of the shots I took with it did not look like a came from a cell phone camera, the colors the simplicity in the options( even though there was a lot of them ) were almost perfect! There really is nothing wrong I can say about this camera, in my eyes the best by far on any smartphone. The G4 COULD BE better, but im not a damn photographer I don’t know what the heck shutter speed iso blah blah blah is. Im sure if you took the time to study all that you can do with the G4 camera it would be better than the S6. But it you were taking just straight shot for shot without all the adjustments the S6 has a better camera. Both cameras are great and are easily 1 and 2 in my opinion on smart phone cameras

Overall/ Summary
I am a Samsung lover! This is the first LG phone I’ve had and I am VERY impressed IF and that’s a BIG IF the S6 ran like it did the first few days I got it, it would be the better phone, but the fact I have to baby it and HOPE it runs good is a big turnoff and the fact for me the battery was horrible and that sealed the deal . The G4 been flawless from day one ZERO lag all day battery and then some I am really impressed with this phone. BUT once the s6+ is released if the rumors are true I will be switching back( the joys of Tmobile new jump on demand) to see if the addition of 5.1 and hopefully Samsung learned and made the phone run smoother regardless If its day 1 or 30. Its to bad the S6 ran the way it did for me. If all things being equal and both phones ran the same way with no lag and all day battery the S6 would be my choice. But for me that was not the case. And LG has done one hell of a job with the G4, it’s a great phone and is my choice for my daily driver…………………for now!!! ( s6+ Note 5)

Do you have any keyboard lag when texting on the LG G4??

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this informative review and this reasonably civilized conversation!
I am still leaning G4 but will keep in mind the question of antenna quality, as I tend to live and work in places with weaker signals. Also, by October which is when I can get a phone, if there is an issue maybe there will be a correction and the phones shipped to the carriers in the fall might be better?

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I switch all the time, no problem(s) at all. No reload, no redraw and everything in the app that I switch to is exactly as I had left it.

If you wander over the the LG G3 and G4 forums, you'll find the "same" complaints. Battery life bad, slow, laggy, runs hot, etc.
I also have a G3, same as my S6E (that is an unlocked, non-carrier, international one) that I use on AT&T also, and I have none of the problems that I see complaints of in the G3 forums.

Fred

/

Can you switch between apps without reload ? and there's no aggressive ram usage like 90% used all the time ?

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an ATT s6 edge and i get periods of ridiculous lag and seconds of unresponsiveness. Battery life is pretty mediocre but my daughter in law has the s6 and has great battery life. I am waiting for att to get off their **** and put out 5.1 as I hope that takes care of the lag and sluggishness or I may have to consider going back to LG (I had a G3 but its a little larger than I like)

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I have the International Galaxy S6 and my experience has been none other than great with the Samsung phone. The screen brightness is a drainer during direct sunlight; however, no other phone match the outdoor screen clarity. Indoor lighting, the screen battery is as good as any phone. The automatic brightness is more like the Google setup. I don't run any battery saver, task killer, or close any programs. I restricted background internet for Facebook and Chrome. Impressive idle battery compared to the S5. Touchwiz is simple and fast. No lags with the Galaxy S6, The auto camera is fast and good. Even though, I miss the SD card there is not way I will be going back to the Galaxy S5. My experience with the International Galaxy S6 has been terrific. I paid $500 for the phone on Ebay and immediately updated to 5.1.1. If you have a Galaxy S5, I would highly recommend upgrading to the S6. I am a power user with more than 200 apps installed. some gaming but no hardcore. The ATT Galaxy S5 could have great battery life or terrible battery life. I am wondering if the problems with the Galaxy S6 are more related to the ATT customization. ATT always finds a way to screw up the software.

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this review
I've had the S6 for about a week now and have been increasingly frustrated with the battery life. Seeing it go from 100 to 60 in about 90 minutes doesn't give me confidence that i can handle having it for 2 years - especially when that battery will eventually not handle a full charge.
I can't get past the battery life to truly test much anything else and am now convinced i need to return it...
thank you
That's not normal. The idle time battery lost on my S6 per hour is about 1.25%

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an ATT s6 edge and i get periods of ridiculous lag and seconds of unresponsiveness. Battery life is pretty mediocre but my daughter in law has the s6 and has great battery life. I am waiting for att to get off their **** and put out 5.1 as I hope that takes care of the lag and sluggishness or I may have to consider going back to LG (I had a G3 but its a little larger than I like)

It is interesting how some people are experiencing horrible lag (like me) and some are not. I still believe that some phones are defective and not running the software and RAM properly. I am not going to exchange my S6 for another one and run the risk of getting another problem plagued phone. I will wait until September and get the new Moto X. Samsung has lost my business for a long time. How a company like that can make second rate products is beyond me.

Cozmohoot

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
All of this back and forth will not lead to a blanket statement that every single phone has issues. There are always going to be some bad apples... Ymmv.

DadTo4XYs

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Great review. I was torn between the two phones and was not happy with the all glass feature of the S6, but was able to look past it. I had a S4 and where as it was a great phone, the battery life in the end was pretty bad. I had a few friend that had the G3 and loved it and were upgrading to the G4. I did my own research and simply liked what the G4 had to offer. I was going to wait to see what Samsung was going to do with the Note 5, but had a feeling they were going to go the route of the S6/S6 Edge and decided to purchase my G4 and have had a great experience so far. Battery life is great, I can go the whole day and not worry. Of course battery life ultimately depends on how you use it. I take a 2 hour train ride to work every day and my phone keeps me entertained, music, games, work e-mails, responding to help desk tickets, Facebook, twitter, etc and I use 20-30 percent of my battery. My S4 never would have made it past the first hour with all that. One of my co-workers has the S6 Edge and she is happy with it, has a few quirks, but she is overall very happy with her phone. She thinks my screen is too big, and does not like the buttons on the rear of the phone, I think her phone is too small, and I don;t like the all glass, no swapable battery and no expandable memory.

The camera is great, IMO, if I want professional quality pictures, I have my partner's 24 megapixel DSLR camera I can use. My phone camera is great for those on the spot pics, and lets admit it...selfies too. But my primary focus of my phone is what can it do for me to be more productive at work, and have family, friends, and colleagues reach me when they need me.

Utlimately, I am happy with my G4, lets see what next years phone du jour will be..

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything minus the lack of lag on the G4. Mine seems to creep up when typing texts, screen responsiveness, and stuff of the sort. It picks up after a lil use but its a tad tedious. I've had the phone since release and although I love the battery and camera, I'm definitely going to swap to the Moto X 2015 or N5 2015 when it's released. I've done it all to fix the lag. Factory Reset, turned off dual window, you name it. Great phone with a mild shortcoming. Although good to hear that the S6 also suffers from it.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
So many seem to think "the grass is greener on the other side of the hill" :)
Read any of the other forums here (G3, G4, etc) and you'll see the some "problems" being complained about on all of them
So much has to do with how the phone is used, what apps are loaded, what apps are used, what carrier (for carrier branded phones, which, as a group, seem the have the most problems, Verizon seeming leading the pack for US carriers for problems) and what carrier mod'd firmeware/bloatware is on the phone.
I have unlocked, non-carrier branded, international phones (mostly) and never have had the problems mentioned mostly.
I have a G3 now which is flawless. I have a S6E now which is flawless. I have a Nokia Lumia 920 now which is flawless.

Fred

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174