My Honest G4 vs S6 review

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I don't get it how can basically half the people say they have no issues and the other half are like you and me? I would give it another shot with the new moto or wait until the 5.1 update and see if that helps
From what I have read, those who have been experiencing the lag/RAM issues did not see any improvement with 5.1.1. So I do not have high hopes. But I will wait for it anyway since the Moto X will not be out until around September. And who knows when Verizon will get it? They are usually slow on the updates.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Wonder how many people who have the ram problem are using carrier phones, maybe if Verizon in particular....
I have an unlocked, non-carrier, international S6E using it on AT&T (has factory rom, not AT&T modified rom and no AT&T bloatware, since it's a non-carrier branded phone) and I have no problems with mine at all.

Fred

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Wonder how many people who have the ram problem are using carrier phones, maybe if Verizon in particular....
I have an unlocked, non-carrier, international S6E using it on AT&T (has factory rom, not AT&T modified rom and no AT&T bloatware, since it's a non-carrier branded phone) and I have no problems with mine at all.

Fred

I'm with an AT&T branded S6 without any issues as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I like your thoughts on both! Very well said.

Just gonna toss my 2 cents on 2 key points.

1) I found that the S6 has a slightly warmer tint compared to the G4. On white images, the S6 has a slight yellowish tint while the G4 looks a little bluish. Both are really excellent displays and the S6 wins the display race to me due to the very deep blacks, but the G4 is a very, VERY close second, as its IPS LCD is almost AMOLED-like in terms of saturation and contrast. A very impressive IPS panel.

2) The performance hiccups you described with the S6 may be due to Samsung's overly aggressive RAM management. The phone has 3GB of LPDDR4, almost exactly like the G4 (I said almost because the G4 uses 3GB of LPDDR3). However, the phone seems to act like it has 2GB of RAM instead. That's why apps stored in memory tend to reload from the beginning quite often and yes, there is the home-screen redraw that occurs if there's not enough memory.

There's no such issue on my G4. There hasn't been any home-screen redraw yet and only apps that have been stored for a really long time had to be reloaded. When they did reload, however, they were back to where I left them, which is very handy.

The S6 has the power, but the overly aggressive RAM management is an issue. No word on when a fix will be issued, but it should be in the next software update. I initially thought this was a Lollipop issue, and initially I was right, but after seeing the HTC One M9 not suffering the same issue, it's definitely a Samsung issue.

Oh, and both phone cameras are superb and the very best I've used, but for casual users, I'd pick the S6 because its Auto mode is just a bit better. The G4, however, is an excellent photographer's companion.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand what you people do to your phones the "make them slow down"
I have had the S6 Edge since April 9th, I don't clear an cache, ever, and my phone is FAST and LAG Free to this day.
Touchwiz on the S6 is a billion times better than ANY previous samsung. It's SO good, I haven't even installed a launcher.
The default keyboard calendar, message app are Really Good. I haven't felt the need to change anything on the phone.
I also use widgets. Still no slow down.
If you phone "slowed down to old pentium speeds" its because you did something wrong. I own the phone, and it does Not slow down.
I would call that a straight lie based off my phone being as fast as day one, 90 days later.

Battery: my phone makes it thru every single day, all day, with no mid day charge. I don't even own a car charger.

I am honestly Not a samsung fanboy. I have had a few samsung phones and sold all of them, including the Note 4 because of LAG.
The S6 Edge is NOT slow and it lags about as much as a Nexus 6.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had the S6 Edge since April 9th, I don't clear an cache, ever, and my phone is FAST and LAG Free to this day.
Touchwiz on the S6 is a billion times better than ANY previous samsung. It's SO good, I haven't even installed a launcher.
The default keyboard calendar, message app are Really Good. I haven't felt the need to change anything on the phone.
If you phone "slowed down to old pentium speeds" its because you did something wrong. I own the phone, and it does Not slow down.
I would call that a straight lie based off my phone being as fast as day one, 90 days later.

Battery: my phone makes it thru every single day, all day, with no mid day charge. I don't even own a car charger.

I am honestly Not a samsung fanboy. I have had a few samsung phones and sold all of them, including the Note 4 because of LAG.

There are many Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge owners who are experiencing extreme lag after a few days of use. That is undisputed. There are also many owners, like yourself, who do not have this problem. That tells me that some Galaxy S6 phones put out by Samsung are better than others. That is a quality control problem and is rather shocking.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

This my and my son's experience. Phone is blazing fast and gets great battery life. Could be used error.

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There are many Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge owners who are experiencing extreme lag after a few days of use. That is undisputed. There are also many owners, like yourself, who do not have this problem. That tells me that some Galaxy S6 phones put out by Samsung are better than others. That is a quality control problem and is rather shocking.

I doubt it is QC. All users are different and use different apps etc. I think apps affect that more than anything else. I have never had a device slow down or lag and I have had all makes and models of phones. I do not use any kind of social media apps and turn my phone off every night and start each day with a fresh boot. I have been unaffected by many issues of lollipop because I reboot daily. YMMV.

Not saying the G4 is not a super device but my S6 is also and I am very happy with it when I use it.

Posted via my ZenFone 2 with 4GB RAM!

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

You can't throw out a blanket statement on Samsung's quality control like that. Sure there are customers that are complaining about the S6....but that does not mean the problem lies with Samsung. You must consider user setup above everything else first and that millions are using the phone as intended without problems described by a very small amount of users.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it is QC. All users are different and use different apps etc. I think apps affect that more than anything else. I have never had a device slow down or lag and I have had all makes and models of phones. I do not use any kind of social media apps and turn my phone off every night and start each day with a fresh boot. I have been unaffected by many issues of lollipop because I reboot daily. YMMV.

Not saying the G4 is not a super device but my S6 is also and I am very happy with it when I use it.

Posted via my ZenFone 2 with 4GB RAM!

Yes..if you reboot your phone every day then you will not have these problems

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion, yeah the G4 is much better than teh S6, samsung I don't know how it does, but always slows down the phones with his software.

Otherwise a clean rom with S6.. hmm maybe but rooting the phone damage your warranty.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You can't throw out a blanket statement on Samsung's quality control like that. Sure there are customers that are complaining about the S6....but that does not mean the problem lies with Samsung. You must consider user setup above everything else first and that millions are using the phone as intended without problems described by a very small amount of users.

The problems are widespread and well documented and even acknowledged by Samsung themselves. So I do think one could call it a quality control problem.

Commodus

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing: whether or not there's any user error involved, it shouldn't be this easy for your phone to bog down.

I'm reminded of the bad old days of Symbian phones, when you had to reboot every day or two lest your device become an inoperable mess. Say what you will about the iPhone, but one of the big favors it did for the smartphone world was to remind people that rapidly decaying software performance shouldn't be a normal part of your experience -- and that's still true with Android.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing: whether or not there's any user error involved, it shouldn't be this easy for your phone to bog down.

I'm reminded of the bad old days of Symbian phones, when you had to reboot every day or two lest your device become an inoperable mess. Say what you will about the iPhone, but one of the big favors it did for the smartphone world was to remind people that rapidly decaying software performance shouldn't be a normal part of your experience -- and that's still true with Android.

I won't dive into a huge debate but I have had my fair share with iPhone software breaks -- It isn't perfect like a lot of people think :).

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

You are right but not all Android phones suffer this kind of lag. Samsung is the worse by far. HTC MOTO and LG do not have this lag with their implementation of Android. Samsung has a serious RAM management problem.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
About the S6 screen and all Amoled, there is a very important thing that everybody forget to discuss in their review: screen burn-ins!
For someone like me who like to use my phone as a car audio screen it's very important for me to not get Amoled because of burnins.
My M9 LCD screen is perhaps not the best as image quality but at least I know I can let the screen on for hours without having to worry about burnins.
I will most probably get a G4 in a month because it's an 5.5'' LCD screen.
I was tempted by the Note Edge but the crazy increase of price and presence of burnins even on the edge part is too crazy for me.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I had both the S6 and the G4 (I currently have the S6 active). If I had to choose between either the S6 or the G4, I'd choose the G4 any day. The battery lasted all day and the camera was just as good as the camera on the S6. What turned me off from the S6 is that I had to charge it up at 3 pm because the battery was low. I hated the fact that I had to turn off wifi, automatic email fetching, and turn the screen brightness way down on the S6. What's the point of having a phone if you have to neuter its abilities in order for the battery to last a little while longer?

Cozmohoot

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Nice review! I am getting the s6 since the g4 doesn't have wifi tether for sprint yet. Also I like seidio spring clip which is not available for the g4.

Wai Kong Pang

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

I totally agree. Me (S6) and ma wife (S6 edge) using the phone since 17th April. We both love the phone very much. We didn't kill apps (just read some article about how Android uses RAM) and hardly reset the phone. And we use some widget too. Recently updated to Lollipop. And the phone is still very snappy.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia