My personal INITIAL thoughts on the LG G5 - Please don't hate me!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so here it goes. Here's what I think of the LG G5 from initial impressions. (No, I didn't buy the phone. I'm basing it based on what I've seen and used for a short period of time)

As you could guess from the headline, it's not very rosy, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible phone. In a nutshell, it's a pretty good phone plagued with early quality issues on a fair number of units.

Now, the phone itself seems to be built quite well as it feels somewhat solid and doesn't bend, but if you're used to metal phones, this one is going to feel a bit like a plastic one. Not because it's not metal, but because it's painted differently from other metal phones. Other metal phones are usually dyed aluminum, while the G5 uses primer and a top layer of paint for its color. It's going to feel different but personally, I'm not big on how a phone feels, but I know that some people will be put a little off by it. But this is the part where I'm going to have pitchforks and torches thrown at me, but I don't think the G5 is a looker. Even though I slap a case on my phone (which is why those humps don't bother me), the camera module just looks weird to me. It kinda looks like 2 confused robot faces. After seeing a Photoshopped version of it, it's hard to not see the resemblance and I get mini-nightmares from it. Okay, maybe it doesn't look that bad, but it's just weird to me.

Software is typical LG to me. It performs really well, with little to no lag, smooth transitions, butter-smooth performance and snappy response. BUT, I don't think it actually improved in terms of looks. Now, there are some improvements as I LOVE the new status bar icons and camera UI, but everything else is....uhhhhhhhh....pre-Marshmallow TouchWiz-like? I could live with the teal + white color, but I dislike the increased usage of the color white throughout the UI. Like, why LG? Why not add an optional dark theme for some of us who want an easier UI for the eyes? Looks aside, it's a snappy performer.......but I hope Dual Window returns in Android N, where Google has finally adopted that feature. THANK YOU!

Here are a couple of smaller points. Camera is still awesome even thougn it's the same 16MP f/1.8 Sony Exmor RS IMX234 shooter from the G4, and the 8MP wide-angle lens camera is cool and is quite fun to use at times. The SD820 seems to be a spritely little performer from what I've seen AND that IPS Quantum display still looks great today.

BUT, that's where the issues begin. While that display LOOKS great, backlight bleeding seems to be an issue on some units. I've seen a couple of phones exhibiting pretty bad bleed usually around the bottom. It varies between units, so I suspect this is a batch-related issue. Another issue is that the thin glass panel can cause the LCD to bloom at times if you touch the screen. I don't think this is a gigantic deal, but it might bug some guys with OCD (like me). I'm not going to talk about the gap between the module and the rest of the phone, or the seams at the back of the phone or other quality issues since I think it's been thrown around so many times already.

So, here's my initial thoughts summed up.

It's a phone with a lot of potential to be one pretty good phone. It just needs more quality polish. That's it. Some people who have the phone here seem to have good units with little flaws, so I hope that future batches will be like that. And it needs to be, after the whole G4 bootloop fiasco.

Anyway, that concludes my initial thoughts based on what I have seen and used (for a pretty short period). That might change when I actually get one for more than a few minutes a few months down the road when LG's quality control (hopefully) improves.

So please don't hate me.....yet.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't hate you but mini nightmares???

Posted via the Android Central App
It was a bit of an exaggeration, but looking at the back of the phone keeps reminding me of that robotic face. It's probably just me, but I do get nightmares at times when I get spooked by something.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It was a bit of an exaggeration, but looking at the back of the phone keeps reminding me of that robotic face. It's probably just me, but I do get nightmares at times when I get spooked by something.

It is robot and it's watching you.

Posted via the Android Central App

akuma13

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
OP I haven't posted in this forum in AGES but have been browsing here recently because of the G5. Your "impressions" are laid out thoughtfully but do yourself a favor and actually pick up and use the phone for a while. Yes The major issue with the phone is Quality Control (I do have a bit of black light bleeding on the side of the phone). Other than that no hardware issues or defects and I got close to 5 hours of SOT on a single first charge.

It's a shame that LG's QC has mired people's thought on the phone.

Stephen33

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
This is my first phone that I jumped on for pre-order, and I am very impressed by my luck. The only backlight bleed I can find is at the top, but that is at 100% brightness in a totally dark room, only on an all black screen. I don't have any screen bloom problems, even after applying more pressure than I was comfortable putting on the display. The battery is mind blowing, as I was able to get over 30 minutes of screen time before dropping to 99% after a full charge, using Twitter, Gmail, and reading a few articles on Google Now :-O The camera module always cracks me up, it reminds of me a Johnny 5 from Short Circuit. I truly feel if LG gets this QC problem under control, this will be the phone of the year, once the media releases their fear tactic claws from the device.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Agreed in regards to QC. I feel lucky I got a good unit. The T-Mobile location I got mine from last Saturday didn't even have a display unit out. I had no intention of buying, I just wanted to check out the phone, what with all the negative reactions. They broke one of for me and I walked out with it. Had it not been a good unit, things might have worked out differently.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
OP I haven't posted in this forum in AGES but have been browsing here recently because of the G5. Your "impressions" are laid out thoughtfully but do yourself a favor and actually pick up and use the phone for a while.
That's what I'm planning to do.

I want to like this phone. I only used one for a pretty short period at the store, so I'm hoping spending more quality time with one would change my thoughts on this phone.

akuma13

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm planning to do.

I want to like this phone. I only used one for a pretty short period at the store, so I'm hoping spending more quality time with one would change my thoughts on this phone.

Please do. You are VERY vocal in this LG thread withought actually owning one...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Please do. You are VERY vocal in this LG thread withought actually owning one...
That is true.

But even though I don't own one, I still like to share my thoughts on the phone. It's always subject to change, so whatever I say here won't necessarily be the same further down the road. Take the Galaxy S6. I was one of the more vocal ones crying out over the loss of expandable storage and a removable battery. But after I used one, I got to like it and personally thought that Samsung did get the overall recipe right.

I expect the same thing here. Hence why I said those are my initial impressions. It's not necessarily my final thoughts on the phone. Just saying my initial experience with a store unit that I only had a few minutes with.

I understand that every user has different experiences and that's fine. Our thoughts with a phone also change over time.

Like I used to be VERY VERY VERY vocal about Samsung, even being a big hater of their devices. Since then, their recent devices have impressed me, so much so that I don't hate them anymore.

Last edited:

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

As far as the cosmetic aspect of it, it only takes ten minutes of playing with the phone in the store to decide whether it's for you. I gave it fifteen and knew that I would never own this phone. It doesn't feel any different from any plastic phone out there, and it just looks hideous. Much prefer my leather clad G4 over this.

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As far as the cosmetic aspect of it, it only takes ten minutes of playing with the phone in the store to decide whether it's for you. I gave it fifteen and knew that I would never own this phone. It doesn't feel any different from any plastic phone out there, and it just looks hideous. Much prefer my leather clad G4 over this.

NitroHD G2 G3 G4
It wasn't really the design and feel that bugged me while spending a short while with that. Sure, the design gives me mini-nightmares at times, but it's a subjective thing. You either like it or you don't. I personally don't, but I don't think it's a gigantic deal.

The real issue to me is the quality issues. The unit has some noticeable backlight bleed and fit-and-finish wasn't so hot, especially for a $600+ phone. The phone itself does perform pretty well and has a lot of potential to be yet another solid smartphone if the quality issues are ironed out.

That's why I said in the OP and clarified in later posts that I'll probably spend a little more time with it after a few months, when LG (hopefully) irons out its QC and has G5 units that have fewer quality issues.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards