My Samsung Galaxy 42mm watch is quickly draining battery life after last update

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I did a recent watch update several days ago. Now my watch battery life goes from 80 to 85 percent after 12 hours down to less than 50 percent. Nothing else has changed about my watch usage activities other than doing whatever watch update was available sometime last week. Is there a solution to this?

A couple months ago I updated to the latest Android 10 OS on my Note 10+ and I regret it, I hate the update. Now this POS update for my watch is killing my battery life. What is going on???

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Did you check the battery usage with the Samsung Wearable app? Open it, then go to about watch, then click the battery icon. That will show which watch apps are using the battery. Reset the watch as suggested above. That should kill any rogue app that is draining the battery.

My experience with the latest update is completely opposite. Much improved battery life.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your helpful input. I ended up doing a full reset/erasure of my watch...a hassle. Anyway, the watch now appears to be pretty much back to normal without the high battery drain. I have no idea what caused the rapid drain, all I know is that I accepted some type of update from the Galaxy Wearable app, I believe. Lesson learn...mental note to self...no more updates for the watch nor phone! Seriously, I pretty much don't notice any improvement from these alleged updates. Instead, I run the risk of upsetting the status quo when things are working correctly. I will not be doing any more updates either to the phone or watch, unless something is messed up and needs fixing. Then, and only then...maybe.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you don't update, that could cause problems also. It probably wasn't the update.

It's hard to positively confirm one way or the other, but the timing of the update and the immediate battery drain thereafter is too coincidental. I firmly believe the update caused the problem. As for potential problems arising from not allowing updates, I find that hard to believe. After all, it's only a watch. It's not like a security Windows computer leak that could lead to a phishing or ransomeware attack. What could possibly go wrong with a watch, granted a smartwatch, if I never do another update to it again?

tmccormick87

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I got a Galaxy 42mm the end of November 2018 and I have loved it. However the sensor fell off of mine earlier this year. I was able to catch it and glued it back on with teensy dots of super glue and it has stayed so far. But suddenly about 3 weeks ago the battery has severely declined. I've gone from charging it every couple of days to basically twice a day now just to keep it topped off for work and sleep. I broke down and did a factory reset last night and left as many apps off as I could that I don't use. I hadn't changed any watch faces or anything so I'm just wondering if it's the unavoidable age of the watch? It won't be 2 years old until December 1st. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I also have a Note 10+ that is currently up to date. Seems like a FR is the last option and I've done that.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I got a Galaxy 42mm the end of November 2018 and I have loved it. However the sensor fell off of mine earlier this year. I was able to catch it and glued it back on with teensy dots of super glue and it has stayed so far. But suddenly about 3 weeks ago the battery has severely declined. I've gone from charging it every couple of days to basically twice a day now just to keep it topped off for work and sleep. I broke down and did a factory reset last night and left as many apps off as I could that I don't use. I hadn't changed any watch faces or anything so I'm just wondering if it's the unavoidable age of the watch? It won't be 2 years old until December 1st. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I also have a Note 10+ that is currently up to date. Seems like a FR is the last option and I've done that.

when you reset the watch, did you uninstall the wearable app on the phone? if not, give that a try.

just a fyi, the watch battery should have gotten better mileage but it is not unheard of. My gear s2 classic watch is over four years old and still gets close to 24 hours.

tmccormick87

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
when you reset the watch, did you uninstall the wearable app on the phone? if not, give that a try.

just a fyi, the watch battery should have gotten better mileage but it is not unheard of. My gear s2 classic watch is over four years old and still gets close to 24 hours.
No, I didn't uninstall that app. Didn't even think of it because my Buds+ is also connected to it, but come to think of it, there was an update to them also not long ago. I'll try that and see what happens. At 5-ish this morning I had 100% and now I'm at 33% (approx 10pm) and that includes a bit of charge I gave it at work tonight, just because.