My thoughts on the Nexus 10, coming from the iPad 3...

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Really?? So, with the tablet in portrait, the volume rocker is on the upper right side of the Nexus 10. Then if you press the top of the rocker the volume INCREASES and if you press it fown it DECREASES?

With my Nexus 10 in the above mentioned orientation pressing up DECREASES the volume and pressing DOWN increases [VERY counter intuitive]

No the opposite. I thought that's how it should work as its the same as in landscape. Why expect differently?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

inwester

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I also have only owned Apple devices (iPhones and iPads) and this is my first Android tablet. I'm so disappointed by the problems I've had with this. This is my review of the tablet.

Bought this tablet (32GB version) from Wal-Mart since it was not available on Google Play or pretty much any other retailer. I've had this for 10 days now and I'm very impressed by the customization options and the open world of Android. I am a first time user of an Android device and I've owned an iPad before (which I wasn't very big fan of and eventually gave it away). So the world of Android is a welcome change for me from the walled garden of Apple. This tablet is also very advanced and the things you can do with this are amazing. I've installed Flash and can be used using Boat browser or Ocean browser. Used and messed with it every day for the last 7 days during the holidays and found it really interesting and with lots of potential.

However, will be returning my device because of the umpteen problems I've been having with it.

Lots of positives about this tablet, which I read from other reviewers (mainly from the Tech websites) and what prompted me to buy it in the first place. So I won't be listing those here and I will only focus on the problems I've been having.

A few to list -

1) Freezes/hangs and crashes every day, multiple times. This is by far the deal breaker and I'm so disappointed by this. This happens all the time while switching apps, opening browser and doing random stuff. This is worse than the blue screen on Windows or the gray screen on Macs. The frequency with which this happens is so annoying. Totally unacceptable by today's standards, especially for a $500 device backed by Google/Samsung.

2) This is also a big deal. I'm having intermittent authentication issues with WiFi connection and it drops randomly. My 10 or so other devices at home doesn't have this problem at all and its definitely something to do with Nexus 10. Sometimes it also says its connected via a proxy server and refuses to connect to the internet. This is solved by restarting the device. But nonetheless, very annoying.

3) Choppy playback using YouTube app (this one is weird because it doesn't happen when I use a browser to access YouTube or while playing HD movies I downloaded from the Play store). It comes with a free (Ice Age) HD movie and it plays fine with the player. I'm so surprised by this. Using Dolphin browser I am able to play YouTube perfectly and hence this is probably an issue with the App itself (tested it several times). More testing on this revealed that this might be a Wi-Fi configuration/connection problem related to Nexus 10. Nexus 10 consistently gets lower download/upload speeds than all of my other devices and may be this is reason why YouTube/Vimeo/any video site is slow to load and have choppy playback. This is a real downer. I tried several Wi-Fi settings but none would solve this issue.

4) Light bleed from top left corner and it's very visible during dark scenes or black background. This is also a known problem and you can find it in several forums.

5) Poor battery life and very slow to charge. It shows the battery charge stays the same while using the tablet and plugged into a wall outlet meaning it doesn't charge properly while in use. Not sure if it actually charges and just shows the percentage remaining as the same. While not it use it takes 6-7 hours to charge from 30% or so to full. The tablet won't charge from a laptop/desktop USB using a generic USB cable, for e.g. the one that's used for Blackberry. So the whole point of using standard USB charger is kind of out of the window.

6) Display is good on the screen with most PPI of all devices, but colors/black level not as good as other tablets. The resolution is great don't get me wrong, but check it side by side with other tablets and you will see why PPI is not the only metric you should go by to rate a display.

7) Non-existent customer support from Google/Samsung. I tried calling the 1-855 number for Google device support and they acknowledged some of the issues, especially the crashing of the tablet and Wi-Fi dropping. They told me to call Samsung and gave me another 1-800 number to call and ask for a replacement. They said my replacement won't have any issues and all problems have been fixed. Samsung told me to return it to the seller or try rebooting, resetting etc. I'm not taking any chances given the return policy on computers/tablets is only 14 days.

There are other minor problems like lack of volume control on the screen. I've overcome this issue by installing a volume controller app from Play store (Volume control by RubberBigPepper), but using the button every time I need to adjust volume (especially with a case/cover on) is not very practical. Netflix has a built in volume button, but the YouTube app and pretty much all others don't have it.

I really wanted to like this tablet and it's so full of promise. If everything worked properly this is probably the best tablet device and OS in the world. But unfortunately, it isn't or at least until Google stands behind their product and tries to make it right.

I still want to get an Android tablet for the tons of customization options and open platform it offers, but the device has to be stable & reliable in order for me to enjoy and make use of it. Should I get another Nexus 10 from Wal-Mart or should I just wait for the 2nd batch of Nexus to be available, whenever that is. I'm so tempted to buy an iPad or Samsung Note 10.1, but I know these will be inferior to Nexus 10, well, only if it didn't have any problems!

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I also have only owned Apple devices (iPhones and iPads) and this is my first Android tablet. I'm so disappointed by the problems I've had with this. This is my review of the tablet.

Bought this tablet (32GB version) from Wal-Mart since it was not available on Google Play or pretty much any other retailer. I've had this for 10 days now and I'm very impressed by the customization options and the open world of Android. I am a first time user of an Android device and I've owned an iPad before (which I wasn't very big fan of and eventually gave it away). So the world of Android is a welcome change for me from the walled garden of Apple. This tablet is also very advanced and the things you can do with this are amazing. I've installed Flash and can be used using Boat browser or Ocean browser. Used and messed with it every day for the last 7 days during the holidays and found it really interesting and with lots of potential.

However, will be returning my device because of the umpteen problems I've been having with it.

Lots of positives about this tablet, which I read from other reviewers (mainly from the Tech websites) and what prompted me to buy it in the first place. So I won't be listing those here and I will only focus on the problems I've been having.

A few to list -

1) Freezes/hangs and crashes every day, multiple times. This is by far the deal breaker and I'm so disappointed by this. This happens all the time while switching apps, opening browser and doing random stuff. This is worse than the blue screen on Windows or the gray screen on Macs. The frequency with which this happens is so annoying. Totally unacceptable by today's standards, especially for a $500 device backed by Google/Samsung.

2) This is also a big deal. I'm having intermittent authentication issues with WiFi connection and it drops randomly. My 10 or so other devices at home doesn't have this problem at all and its definitely something to do with Nexus 10. Sometimes it also says its connected via a proxy server and refuses to connect to the internet. This is solved by restarting the device. But nonetheless, very annoying.

3) Choppy playback using YouTube app (this one is weird because it doesn't happen when I use a browser to access YouTube or while playing HD movies I downloaded from the Play store). It comes with a free (Ice Age) HD movie and it plays fine with the player. I'm so surprised by this. Using Dolphin browser I am able to play YouTube perfectly and hence this is probably an issue with the App itself (tested it several times). More testing on this revealed that this might be a Wi-Fi configuration/connection problem related to Nexus 10. Nexus 10 consistently gets lower download/upload speeds than all of my other devices and may be this is reason why YouTube/Vimeo/any video site is slow to load and have choppy playback. This is a real downer. I tried several Wi-Fi settings but none would solve this issue.

4) Light bleed from top left corner and it's very visible during dark scenes or black background. This is also a known problem and you can find it in several forums.

5) Poor battery life and very slow to charge. It shows the battery charge stays the same while using the tablet and plugged into a wall outlet meaning it doesn't charge properly while in use. Not sure if it actually charges and just shows the percentage remaining as the same. While not it use it takes 6-7 hours to charge from 30% or so to full. The tablet won't charge from a laptop/desktop USB using a generic USB cable, for e.g. the one that's used for Blackberry. So the whole point of using standard USB charger is kind of out of the window.

6) Display is good on the screen with most PPI of all devices, but colors/black level not as good as other tablets. The resolution is great don't get me wrong, but check it side by side with other tablets and you will see why PPI is not the only metric you should go by to rate a display.

7) Non-existent customer support from Google/Samsung. I tried calling the 1-855 number for Google device support and they acknowledged some of the issues, especially the crashing of the tablet and Wi-Fi dropping. They told me to call Samsung and gave me another 1-800 number to call and ask for a replacement. They said my replacement won't have any issues and all problems have been fixed. Samsung told me to return it to the seller or try rebooting, resetting etc. I'm not taking any chances given the return policy on computers/tablets is only 14 days.

There are other minor problems like lack of volume control on the screen. I've overcome this issue by installing a volume controller app from Play store (Volume control by RubberBigPepper), but using the button every time I need to adjust volume (especially with a case/cover on) is not very practical. Netflix has a built in volume button, but the YouTube app and pretty much all others don't have it.

I really wanted to like this tablet and it's so full of promise. If everything worked properly this is probably the best tablet device and OS in the world. But unfortunately, it isn't or at least until Google stands behind their product and tries to make it right.

I still want to get an Android tablet for the tons of customization options and open platform it offers, but the device has to be stable & reliable in order for me to enjoy and make use of it. Should I get another Nexus 10 from Wal-Mart or should I just wait for the 2nd batch of Nexus to be available, whenever that is. I'm so tempted to buy an iPad or Samsung Note 10.1, but I know these will be inferior to Nexus 10, well, only if it didn't have any problems!

That's too bad, I haven't had a single problem with mine after having it since Christmas day. It's definitely the best tablet out there IMO. I would definitely give it another chance if possible.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

A few to list -

I have some of these issues but not to the severity described.

For example, I dont have rebooting issues....has it crashed? Yes, a couple times....no more then my ipad 3 does. Or the battery life...it wont last as long as my ipad but its a non issue because I get 8 hours of screen on very easily which easily gets me through a days usage. Never ever had a wifi issue, absolutely zero issue ever there...

I recently did notice some light bleed. I'm not too happy about it but the fact I had to go looking for it makes me not too concerned or want to return it for another one. I feel I have so few issues why risk it for something I didnt notice right?

Oh youtube apps suck for the most part. On iOS I use the web app, the app itself is WAY to slow. I typically find the same thing with Android. I dont know what the deal is but I've always wanted a good youtube app. Even the latest on Android, although I like it there are a couple things that need addressing in a serious way....

Regardless, sorry to hear about your luck. At least you gave it a good try.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

!

Honestly I think you have/had a lemon. As far as on screen volume goes I believe it needs to be added to quick settings menu, but with the volume rocker right there on the side/top/bottom [orientation dependant] I understand why this isnt a burning sissue for Google [as the resets should be].

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Certain apps are just plain crappy, doesn't matter what OS like FB, YouTube, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The iPad 4 is faster by far on most benchmarks. Check the Anandtech benchmarks.
The iPad 4 has much better build quality and the screen has noticeably better color and contrast. The slight difference in res and ppi are just there for Google marketing materials but make no difference in real world use. Color and contrast does though.
Apple provides much better support and far better quality control.
Apps aren't even close, Android is far behind in in tablet apps.
The Nexus 10 is sold at cost, the iPad 4 is easily worth $100 more when you take the above into account. Same with the iPad Mini vs the Nexus 7. Ask yourself why google has to sell these devices at cost.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That is contrary to what the majority of developers who code in both iOS and Android think. I'd say you know either nothing or very little about iOS development to make this statement.

You make this statement with no real justification.

As an iOS and Android developer, my own experience is that their is no comparison, Android is miles ahead IMHO. The open-source aspect of the development process together with not being forced(Apple hardware and XCode) to use certain hardware and software to compile your projects is a relief to put it mildly.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Also: has anyone noticed how much of a fingerprint magnet this is? I mean, it looks like I handled it with multiple pieces of bacon whenever I use it for longer than a few minutes. I'm not sure if there is an oleophobic coating on the glass.

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. The first thing I noticed about the N10 was how resistant it was to fingerprinting. It is orders of magnitude better in that regard than my Xoom was...

- - - Updated - - -

The iPad 4 is faster by far on most benchmarks. [...]

OMG, it is the famous trolling "snookasnoo" again. Please go away and get a clue. You have been warned by a Moderator before and don't seem to be getting the message.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Quit trolling snookasnoo. This isn't your first time to be told. If you have anything relevant based on personal experience, feel free to share it. If you just want to regurgitate things you've heard at other venues, go back to them.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine. Few things I love about it:

1. Love the display. I don't know what's going on in the previous posts, but it looks like it's reproducing colors more acurately at higher brightness levels than my iPad 3. At least the autobrightness isn't aggressively dark like my N7.

2. This is the first Android device I've had that can connect to my router at 300 Mbps on 5 GHz WiFi. Really nice to have that.

3. The speed at which graphics are rendered is astonishing. I sort of test s with various Google Earth locations. Loads and renders super fast.

4. Huzzah for front facing speakers.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine. Few things I love about it:

1. Love the display. I don't know what's going on in the previous posts, but it looks like it's reproducing colors more acurately at higher brightness levels than my iPad 3. At least the autobrightness isn't aggressively dark like my N7.

2. This is the first Android device I've had that can connect to my router at 300 Mbps on 5 GHz WiFi. Really nice to have that.

3. The speed at which graphics are rendered is astonishing. I sort of test s with various Google Earth locations. Loads and renders super fast.

4. Huzzah for front facing speakers.

I forgot:

5. Haptic feedback. First time I've had it on a tablet. Really nice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow