Need advice on warranty exchanges.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. Long story short. Sending in my device to AT&T for a warranty exchange. A CS rep told me there must not be any physical damages on the phone or they may charge me $400+ if they'll find it damaged. I told her there was some minor wear she asked me to run finger over it and tell her if i can feel it. I lied and said no. So i've attached two pics here and would like to ask you guys if anyone ever dealt with the warranty exchanges with that type of "damages" i dont think those are serious ones i'd call them cosmetic damages. However i'm debating whether i should really send this unit in or just keep it. Btw. The reason i'm exchanging the phone is because of the dark blotches on the black background, not really a big deal but i still want to exchange it, (bought this phone off of ebay so it came with the cosmetic damages already) would really appreciate your advice thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 40

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any first hand experience with the warranty exchange process, but in my opinion, they are going to view that damage as having been caused by dropping or otherwise negligent use of the handset. When I purchased my GS3 I was told by the ATT reps that any cosmetic damage to the glass or case would void the warranty. I don't know for sure if this was simply to push the sale of a case or if they were being honest. I think minor surface scratches may be ok, which is probably why they asked if you could feel when running your finger over it. But what you've got there looks a lot more like blemishes from an impact.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Long story short. Sending in my device to AT&T for a warranty exchange.

(bought this phone off of ebay so it came with the cosmetic damages already) would really appreciate your advice thanks!

If you bought the phone off eBay, just how do you intend to get a warranty exchange from AT&T?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
If you bought the phone off eBay, just how do you intend to get a warranty exchange from AT&T?

This is an AT&T phone it still has the warranty (I'm paying $7 each month) plus they checked the IMEI number. The phone was initially purchased in July.

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
This is an AT&T phone it still has the warranty (I'm paying $7 each month) plus they checked the IMEI number. The phone was initially purchased in July.

The $7 per month you're paying is for insurance, not warranty. Since you have the insurance there may be other ways of going about this, but I will not allude to or indicate any scenarios in which fraud is committed.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The $7 per month you're paying is for insurance, not warranty. Since you have the insurance there may be other ways of going about this, but I will not allude to or indicate any scenarios in which fraud is committed.

Oh yes that is correct. My mistake, thanks for correcting me this is in fact the insurance fee. But the phone is still on warranty and there are really dark spots on the lower part of the screen that can be easily seen so no fraud attempts here. Thank you for your advice though I think I'll keep the phone to be on the safe side. My old GS2 also had dark spots on the screen

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
OK, I figured out what to do, I'm keeping my current phone. Thank you everyone (especially austinography) for your responses and help. Moderator please close this thread. Thanks again.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are paying for insurance I would simply do the insurance exchange. Tell them that the display is damaged (which it is) pay the deductible and enjoy a dark spot free phone. As for at&ts warranty I don't any experience with that. But in reality how will they prove that they didn't drop it when they received it? Just saying? Back when I had Verizon (several years ago) I exchanged many blackberry storms and curves because of various issues and I know that several had drop dings that were unrelated to the issues I was having. Never hurts to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I would do the warranty first. The worst they will do is deny it. If they do then claim under Insurance... You are paying for, so use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal